The F-14 Tomcast.

Nexus-6

Yep, just saw this one popping up in my YouTube feed and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Great to see that Bio is a co-host of this podcast.

Recently re-played the DCS Zone 5 campaign that Reflected did in co-operation with Bio and it was even better than I remembered it from the first time I played it.

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

Wow! That was very interesting, very detailed and many stories unknown to me.

Of course all is the 40 years old memories of a pilot but still some things cought my attention, free quoting: «we were concerned about wings flexion with high loads but to our surprise we discovered that with high AoAs the pressure transferred to the fuselage reliving the wings. So the plane was basically unbreakable with simetric Gs. Assimetric loads put a lot of twisting stress on the back of fuselage thoug, because of the huge stabilators»

I could not help to think in how «easilly» we break the wings in DCS with high over Gs, which at first looked logic to me, thinking they would be the weakest spot.

I mentioned the tunnel contribution to lift and the stalled wing phenomenon several years ago, and amazingly, it’s described in NATOPS. What’s happening in DCS is players are snatching on massive instantaneous G’s far beyond what is described in a wind up turn. 

Many of the maintainers here also know about the problems we had with rolling G causing torquing on the fuselage from the famous “569 bulkhead” and fuselage skin delamination. The asymmetric G load that Crunch and Bio couldn’t recall was 5.2 G’s at combat weight.

The discrepancy between the cockpit and CG located G meter was a known issue (it’s a physical issue that is present for most aircraft), but I didn’t know that it was that large, at least a full G. Maybe that’s why we performed better than most expected. 😎

The podcast was very well done, I was surprised that BIO and Crunch hadn’t heard a lot of that before. On the east coast, we had visits and lectures from Navair and Pax River all the time concerning developments and issues, and why most of it wasn’t going to make it into fleet jets. 

Curt’s statement about the program being underfunded throughout it’s entire life was sadly true. The Navy spends on ships that spends most of their service life in port and or overhaul, and surface and subsurface assets vigorously compete for funding. Part of the issue was the unneeded push for a 600 ship Navy.

NB- for all of you who are obsessed by speed comparisons, Curt Schroeder mentioned 2.41 Mach as the maximum that Grumman demonstrated in level flight, after careful intake ramp tuning.

Max Q he discussed was 857 KIAS, done inadvertently. I’m sure that one wasn’t achieved level. 

Edited by Victory205
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Viewpoints are my own.

I knew about the additional lift from the flat fuselage and the drastic effect it has on the F14s wing load, what surprised me was the fact that it actually takes so much load off the wings with high AoA that they get protected from an over G.

Of course, sure you are right and most players probably break the wings with massive instantaneous loads. For the record it has not hapened to me, but being in love with HB Tomcats since it came out, in these years I’ve convinced many friends to buy it, and as a consecuence, I have witnessed so many snatched wings on inaguratin flights (and stalls, spins... ) that I thought it maybe was a little overdone. Never gets old to share an online flight with a new Tomcat guy 😁

Edited by Tulkas

22 hours ago, Victory205 said:

Bad habits from FBW sim-jets. It’s not a good practice to snatch on G in any aircraft, both tactically and physiologically.

And economically, at my aeroclub we will get charge a full flying hour if we take the clubs aircraft over 4.5G when doing aerobatics, we learn not to brake wings 😅

• 2 weeks later...

Great stories as always.  Does the phoenix in game have Homing on Jam? 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably going to sound as a cliche as i'm using it for so many of these episodes, but this has got to be the best one yet! Or at least my favorite one! 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

4 minutes ago, captain_dalan said:

This is probably going to sound as a cliche as i'm using it for so many of these episodes, but this has got to be the best one yet! Or at least my favorite one! 

I really don't understand how those Tomcast episodes on YouTube only getting so few views.

Usually everything F14 related is very popular and the Tomcast episodes offer incredible insight into the F14, yet barely anyone watches them.

Sure hope that the numbers for the audio podcast are much better because they definitely deserve it!

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

40 minutes ago, lax22 said:

the Tomcast episodes offer incredible insight into the F14, yet barely anyone watches them

Maybe is the format they use, a bit unorganized and free flow.

I prefer to invest my time watching (or reading) more structured episodes, where I can actually learn things in-depth, where you have to actually take notes, like if you are at a College class .. this is an example:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

7 hours ago, AdrianL said:

Probably because people listen to them as podcasts. I listen in the car or while exercising.

My circle of friends also listen via podcasts and not YouTube.

Seriously. Nobody want's to stare at a blank screen at their desk or kill their battery with a running screen in their pocket. 

Or perhaps not enough people know about them?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 3:48 AM, RustBelt said:

Seriously. Nobody want's to stare at a blank screen at their desk or kill their battery with a running screen in their pocket. 

I use Youtube Vanced on my phone. No ads, lock the screen and still listen.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]