The F-14 Tomcast.

Nexus-6

The abysmal number of views and subs this channel has baffles me. Although most of the content of this series is, so far, quite basic, very colloquial and open, it's always good and interesting to hear the experiences of former crews.

• Like 1
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to listening to the FAC-A episode. I didn't know about the rocket pods (Willie Petes) and HERO restriction thing on the deck of the ship, or that they used 500 lbers for visual cues instead of WPs during talk ons.

Are we getting illumination flares and a marking laser eventually? Or does our laser already mark under NVGs? I'm not sure I've tested it, but I thought we only had a targeting laser in DCS currently.

We love to do CAS/FAC in our virtual wing, especially at night, so some more tools would be very welcome.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:18 AM, Callsign JoNay said:

Are we getting illumination flares and a marking laser eventually? Or does our laser already mark under NVGs? I'm not sure I've tested it, but I thought we only had a targeting laser in DCS currently.

Went back and gave the episode another listen, and have to make a slight correction. Sounds like the marking laser was not a function of the LANTIRN, but was instead a hand-held IZLAD that the RIO would actually shine through the canopy down at targets to be seen through NVGs. Any chance of getting a laser like that implemented?...maybe through the mouse cursor like we do with the flashlight?

Finally got around to listening to the FAC-A episode. I didn't know about the rocket pods (Willie Petes) and HERO restriction thing on the deck of the ship, or that they used 500 lbers for visual cues instead of WPs during talk ons.
We love to do CAS/FAC in our virtual wing, especially at night, so some more tools would be very welcome.

Are you aware that we have the LUU-2 flare? Or am I missing something?

Shoes tells the best stories. Too bad most of them were variations on what we already had from the Mover interview.  Would love to pick his brain on AIM-7 Sparrow employment and see how close DCS is. 

The lawsuit and airline comments were hilarious. Love his sense of humor. Old school man's man pilot. 😆 

What are the yellow patches on his left shoulder of his jacket above the name badge?  

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone call Elon, and/or we'll crowdfund, and buy Iran's whole Tomcat fleet. Gift it to the US Navy under the condition that the Navy has to eternally keep them in flyable status, at least for airshows. Then the DoD can finally declassify all that stuff and we'll finally can get the D. 😄 😄 

Great episode!

Especially enjoyed the dog fight comparison between the F14D, F15, F16 and F18.

Sounds like the F14D was doing extremely well as long as the fight was below 20k ft and that the Eagle would have a very hard time dog fighting at low altitude.

Also great was the story about the Super Hornet being left in the dust by a KC10 tanker (timestamp 1:01:30)... 😆

Edited by lax22
  • Like 2

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

IRST sounds like a really effective tool.  

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

13 hours ago, lax22 said:

Great episode!

Especially enjoyed the dog fight comparison between the F14D, F15, F16 and F18.

Sounds like the F14D was doing extremely well as long as the fight was below 20k ft and that the Eagle would have a very hard time dog fighting at low altitude.

Also great was the story about the Super Hornet being left in the dust by a KC10 tanker (timestamp 1:01:30)... 😆

It is interesting to also note though, that Slammer Richardson said he thought the non DFCS A/B were better pure BFM aircraft over the D. 

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Great episode. Had no idea the IRST was that good of a sensor on the Tomcat.

3 hours ago, Gunslinger22 said:

It is interesting to also note though, that Slammer Richardson said he thought the non DFCS A/B were better pure BFM aircraft over the D. 

I also imagine the A and B being alittle bit lighter also worked to their benefit too.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3