The F-14 Tomcast.

Nexus-6

BIO is not the only one saddened by the start of this video, i almost shed a tear too.... 😢

• Like 2

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

It is interesting to also note though, that Slammer Richardson said he thought the non DFCS A/B were better pure BFM aircraft over the D. 
He didn't say that. He said that he could beat D models in the A because they relied on the DFCS too much while he used the instability of the A to his advantage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IRST sounds like a really effective tool.  
Sounded to me like an A2A LANTIRN pod.

• Like 1

After hearing the podcast about the D, I (and I'm sure others) want it even more. I'd happily pay $100 JUST for the D model. No need for carriers, or any extra variants. You can use that $100 to bribe whoever you need to, to get the documents you need to make it happen
But in all seriousness, I hope it'll happen one day. IRST, HUD, JDAM, DFCS, upgraded radar, it just sounds amazing.

• Like 6

He didn't say that. He said that he could beat D models in the A because they relied on the DFCS too much while he used the instability of the A to his advantage.

Someone also mentioned that you could disable roll(?) SAS and still do all of that stuff.
  • Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 11:19 AM, Dannyvandelft said:

Sounded to me like an A2A LANTIRN pod.

Considering the 1 of the 2 main reasons we can't get the F-14D in DCS is due to the AN/AAS-42 is still highly classified and is forming the basis for the F-35's IRST system and Lockheed's new Legion Targeting Pod...its significantly better then an A2A LANTIRN pod...hell its better then an ATFLIR/LITENING Pod.

• Like 1

Considering the 1 of the 2 main reasons we can't get the F-14D in DCS is due to the AN/AAS-42 is still highly classified and is forming the basis for the F-35's IRST system and Lockheed's new Legion Targeting Pod...its significantly better then an A2A LANTIRN pod...hell its better then an ATFLIR/LITENING Pod.
I meant more as in function. I'm nowhere near qualified to speak on similarities beyond that.
It sounded like the IRST was being used in a similar way as the LANTIRN, but rather for A2A targets instead of A2G.

38 minutes ago, Dannyvandelft said:

It sounded like the IRST was being used in a similar way as the LANTIRN, but rather for A2A targets instead of A2G.

Oh yeah in that sense very much so. I mean thats why Hornets load the ATLFIR and Vipers load the LITENING even on CAP because they can be used for VID

So in this episode, “Jungle”, mentions how the F-14 is still capable even during an INS failure, which made me wonder what the Tomcat actually needs its INS for? My only knowledge is waypoint setting and possibly LANTIRN pod/GBU use and I guess ACLS? But in terms of Air to Air my understanding is the AIM-54 doesn't require INS to employ the weapon? and neither the Sparrow or AIM-9 needs it?

Oh yeah in that sense very much so. I mean thats why Hornets load the ATLFIR and Vipers load the LITENING even on CAP because they can be used for VID
So in this episode, “Jungle”, mentions how the F-14 is still capable even during an INS failure, which made me wonder what the Tomcat actually needs its INS for? My only knowledge is waypoint setting and possibly LANTIRN pod/GBU use and I guess ACLS? But in terms of Air to Air my understanding is the AIM-54 doesn't require INS to employ the weapon? and neither the Sparrow or AIM-9 needs it?
That, I don't know. I only work the front seat. I have absolutely no idea how to work the RIO station.

2 hours ago, Southernbear said:

This... even if HB were to lower their standards of simulating an aircraft, they'd still need some performance data to plausibly stimulate the capabilities they do implement... even if the back end was a simple as "can detect" or "can't detect."  I suspect we could probably find the requisite IRST functions from a satellite view of its functions (A2A search, handoff, etc), but anything specific about the effectiveness is going to be HIGHLY classified. The latter is where I imagine HB is going to not compromise...

Then again, we are getting an IRST on our Eurofighter.... so who knows. 

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

Really doubt DCS even models IR well enough for it to matter.  

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

12 hours ago, Southernbear said:

Look at this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224670515323?nma=true&si=3bNcmIYVFFV3uZyuIj%2FelZCYV8g%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Like 1

@IronMike  Have you seen the Podcast about the F-14D Mike?  Are Heatblur considering making it happen?  

The guys mention the D had a glass cockpit.  I didn't know that.  I'm guessing the visibility was improved?  Was that the only advantage?
Glass cockpit was a bit of an overstatement I think. It had a HUD like the F/A-18 and 2 MFD screens in the front cockpit, and I think the RIO had an MFD too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Glass cockpit was a bit of an overstatement I think. It had a HUD like the F/A-18 and 2 MFD screens in the front cockpit, and I think the RIO had an MFD too.

That would make more sense.  Silly me 😆

5 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

But the RIO's TID and DDD were both converted into huge MFDs too, so there ended up being a lot of glass back there.

23 MECH COCKPIT ideas | mech, robots concept, robot concept art

21 hours ago, Southernbear said:

"Capable" is a wide concept. What they talked about was more the mindset of the different pilots piloting the different aircraft with the A and B Tomcat pilots being used to not having a fully functioning INS whereas for the Hornet pilot it might be a no-fly kinda malfunction. That said afaik the AIM-54 needs the aircraft INS to function, without it it can't align the missile INS system before launch.

6 hours ago, JupiterJoe said:

@IronMike  Have you seen the Podcast about the F-14D Mike?  Are Heatblur considering making it happen?  

The guys mention the D had a glass cockpit.  I didn't know that.  I'm guessing the visibility was improved?  Was that the only advantage?

The episode was really nice, as always with the Tomcast. It doesn't really change anything in regards to what information is available though.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, FWind said:

s-l1600.jpg

Uhhh....if you could send me a copy of that I'd love that...

But I'll also warn you if your in possession of that document personally...me and an American friend already tried to get a copy of NAVAIR 01−F14AAD−1A which would be the primary document Heatblur would require for things like SparrowHawk, AIM-54 ECCM ect for a F-14B/U with explicit instructions to the Navy to remove or redact the section on the AN/AAS−42 because we believed it was still classified we and just wanted the rest of the info.

Sure enough the Navy agreed and told us that was exactly the case and they only needed to remove/black out a chapter or 2....but then fun police, ITAR, stepped in last second to prevent the Navy from giving us the document on the grounds of "its declassified...but we're allowed to not give it too you because...reasons". The actual 2nd reason I didn't mention in my previous post being it seems the DoD does actually still give a crap about these documents making their way to Iran it seems. 

so uhhh....tread lightly with that one....then again for what how the DCS community is it boggles my mind that it was god damn War Thunder of all places to leak classified documents on their forum before DCS did....AND IT HAPPENED 3 TIMES....

Edited by Southernbear

3 hours ago, Southernbear said:

Uhhh....if you could send me a copy of that I'd love that...

But I'll also warn you if your in possession of that document personally...me and an American friend already tried to get a copy of NAVAIR 01−F14AAD−1A which would be the primary document Heatblur would require for things like SparrowHawk, AIM-54 ECCM ect for a F-14B/U with explicit instructions to the Navy to remove or redact the section on the AN/AAS−42 because we believed it was still classified we and just wanted the rest of the info.

Sure enough the Navy agreed and told us that was exactly the case and they only needed to remove/black out a chapter or 2....but then fun police, ITAR, stepped in last second to prevent the Navy from giving us the document on the grounds of "its declassified...but we're allowed to not give it too you because...reasons". The actual 2nd reason I didn't mention in my previous post being it seems the DoD does actually still give a crap about these documents making their way to Iran it seems. 

so uhhh....tread lightly with that one....then again for what how the DCS community is it boggles my mind that it was god damn War Thunder of all places to leak classified documents on their forum before DCS did....AND IT HAPPENED 3 TIMES....

It was just sold on eBay....eBay will always sell strange things....The -34 of F-15 has been sold....the change Date is 1995 and the seller is from Moscow!

6 hours ago, Naquaii said:

"Capable" is a wide concept. What they talked about was more the mindset of the different pilots piloting the different aircraft with the A and B Tomcat pilots being used to not having a fully functioning INS whereas for the Hornet pilot it might be a no-fly kinda malfunction. That said afaik the AIM-54 needs the aircraft INS to function, without it it can't align the missile INS system before launch.

The episode was really nice, as always with the Tomcast. It doesn't really change anything in regards to what information is available though.

I mean, it could if someone from Heatblur say, did an episode, and say, asked any listeners for any resources they may have available to supply. Just because you looked, doesn't mean it's not out there, just not where you looked. 

• Like 2