The F-14 Tomcast.

Nexus-6

image.png

Pretty incredible if it is possible for Heatblur to get in contact with this guy to possibly (if unclassified and not illegal) get info on MFD pages and the HUD modes.

• Like 4

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

It is interesting to also note though, that Slammer Richardson said he thought the non DFCS A/B were better pure BFM aircraft over the D. 
AFCS planes did unique things in the out of envelope maneuvering.. DFCS corrected or prevented some of the behaviors..

Cartwheeling was real.. Hoser book talks about this. There's a quote in HeyJoe's book, - i forgot the title - from out of plane maneuvering. This past podcast, Jungle verified it again. Flash went up against Langley F15s and beat two of coughing up a motor in the A..

Not all the aviators flew the Tomcat this way. If you did, you were legendary and invincible in BFM.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Glass cockpit was a bit of an overstatement I think. It had a HUD like the F/A-18 and 2 MFD screens in the front cockpit, and I think the RIO had an MFD too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hud looked similar to f18 but wasnt

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Southernbear said:

Uhhh....if you could send me a copy of that I'd love that...

But I'll also warn you if your in possession of that document personally...me and an American friend already tried to get a copy of NAVAIR 01−F14AAD−1A which would be the primary document Heatblur would require for things like SparrowHawk, AIM-54 ECCM ect for a F-14B/U with explicit instructions to the Navy to remove or redact the section on the AN/AAS−42 because we believed it was still classified we and just wanted the rest of the info.

Sure enough the Navy agreed and told us that was exactly the case and they only needed to remove/black out a chapter or 2....but then fun police, ITAR, stepped in last second to prevent the Navy from giving us the document on the grounds of "its declassified...but we're allowed to not give it too you because...reasons". The actual 2nd reason I didn't mention in my previous post being it seems the DoD does actually still give a crap about these documents making their way to Iran it seems. 

so uhhh....tread lightly with that one....then again for what how the DCS community is it boggles my mind that it was god damn War Thunder of all places to leak classified documents on their forum before DCS did....AND IT HAPPENED 3 TIMES....

The Sparrowhawk was on the F-14B. Kaiser Aerospace AN/AVG-12 was on the F-14D. Iran reasoning is laughable. They're not getting any of that to work on a 50 year old block 95.

12 hours ago, DSplayer said:

image.png

Pretty incredible if it is possible for Heatblur to get in contact with this guy to possibly (if unclassified and not illegal) get info on MFD pages and the HUD modes.

Or a mod dev lol

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

25 minutes ago, Uxi said:

The Sparrowhawk was on the F-14B. Kaiser Aerospace AN/AVG-12 was on the F-14D.

I know that, the IRST is classified so at best we could only get an F-14B/U rather then a D...thats the point. Whatever the case, ITAR and the DoD don't want that manual out into the public despite the information in it (aside from the IRST) being already declassifed...Iran makes the most sense given the age of the plane in question. 

unknown.png

On 1/9/2022 at 3:40 PM, Southernbear said:

I know that, the IRST is classified so at best we could only get an F-14B/U rather then a D...thats the point. Whatever the case, ITAR and the DoD don't want that manual out into the public despite the information in it (aside from the IRST) being already declassifed...Iran makes the most sense given the age of the plane in question. 

unknown.png

I've heard Gaijin is adding the F-14 to War Thunder in the near future, so I think the problem will solve itself soon enough.

• Like 1

If Heatblur is good enough to grace us with the D variant, I think a shiny new cockpit and plane model(rather than the well worn A & B) would be a nice touch.  I for one am willing to pay for this module, as I appreciate it would be a great deal of work to produce.

Edited by JupiterJoe

6 hours ago, JupiterJoe said:

If Heatblur is good enough to grace us with the D variant, I think a shiny new cockpit and plane model(rather than the well worn A & B) would be a nice touch.  I for one am willing to pay for this module, as I appreciate it would be a great deal of work to produce.

Heatblur has stated multiple times that an F-14D will not be developed in the foreseeable future, if ever, due to a lack of accurate and detailed information on the D 'Cat in certain areas.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:31 PM, JupiterJoe said:

This has to stop already. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RustBelt said:

This has to stop already. 

There's nothing wrong what he said. If people start arguing about whether it's possible or not to make D at this moment, then it's just stupidity as HB have made the situation quite clear. Still I can say that if HB decides to make D one day, it will be instabuy for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

http://dcsfinland.fi/

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

Absolutely love the amount of info that I’m learning about the F-14D from this podcast. Little steps closer to an F-14D within DCS (for me at least).

Edited by DSplayer
  • Like 1

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

4 minutes ago, RaisedByWolves said:

Now you’ve done it!!!

I will once again raise the liveliest of the dead arguments here.

• Like 1

love that show. even the ones i dont think il find that interesting always turn out to be great, mainly due to the people involved i think

12 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Just tell the guy that signs off on declassified documents that he gets a job as an "advisor" at Heatblur and gets 10% of each D model sold emoji1787.png

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

if hes a politician then thats a done deal!

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

A while ago Bio mentioned that even the A models got PTIDs when equipped with LANTIRN.  This got me wondering if the TID was actually LANTIRN compatible.  I could have mis-heard him, or he could be remembering wrong, but it sounds as though without a PTID we shouldn't even have LANTIRN.

6 minutes ago, Spurts said:

A while ago Bio mentioned that even the A models got PTIDs when equipped with LANTIRN.  This got me wondering if the TID was actually LANTIRN compatible.  I could have mis-heard him, or he could be remembering wrong, but it sounds as though without a PTID we shouldn't even have LANTIRN.

According to the publicly available draft of the 1998 Navy Training Systems Plan/N88-NTSP-A-50-8511B/D, LANTIRN on the -A requires the PTID (relevant text in red):

v. Programmable Tactical Information Display (F-14A/B/D).

The PTID replaces the Tactical Information Display (TID) and provides programmable push buttons, which are used to program switching for the various tactical processors attached to the MIL-STD1553B DMDB. The PTID provides improved display readability, brightness, and resolution. The F-14A (usually equipped with a TID) requires the PTID when configured for LANTIRN. The F14B Upgrade is equipped with the PTID. The F-14D Aircraft uses existing Multi-Function Displays or a PTID when configured for LANTIRN.

w. Precision Strike (F-14A/B/D).

Precision Strike provides the F-14 the capability to deliver laser-guided bombs for air-to-ground missions. It consists of the LANTIRN pod with laser designator and internal navigation system, LANTIRN control panel and night vision capable displays. In LANTIRN equipped F-14As and F-14Bs, the TID has been replaced with the PTID.

Edited by cheezit
fixed quote markup
  • Thanks 1

vor 27 Minuten schrieb Spurts:

AFAIK the PTID issue us that there is not sufficient documentation, and the FLIR is the only part that is ITAR restricted.

Thanks. Well, that's too bad. As soon as I heard them tell the story about old A-models being retrofitted with PTID's, something made "click". 🙂 Wouldn't that just present the uniqueness and ingenuity of the Tomcat community perfectly (like Han and Chewy endlessly tinkering with the Millenium Falcon...before the dark times, before *ratch* Disney)

Probably moot anyway, because I doubt that Heatblur would currently consider adding a PTID in even if  they had access to the necessary docs, because I assume they have so much on their plate with finishing current modules and working on the upcoming ones, that adding something as relatively work-intensive as modeling a whole new display without some reasonable financial compensation would not be feasible. 

Although, maybe a significant number of module owners might pay extra for such an addon (along the lines of that GPS addon ED is selling)? (as in: keep hope alive 🙂 )

Edited by Jayhawk1971
two posts somehow got merged into one?
  • Like 1