The F-14 Tomcast.

Nexus-6

8 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

It wasn't. 

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/240587-since-we-have-the-lantirn-will-the-f-14b-also-get-the-rios-mcap-display-upgrade/?do=findComment&comment=4356756

What we do know is that the first LANTIRN implementations were using the old TID and were used if only for a short while.

Edited by draconus
  • Thanks 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

4 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Interesting. I thought I remember Mooch or Bio saying they were incompatible. I can't remember which video it was from though.

Incompatible without additional work. Like mentioned we do know the version we have was an intermediary version and that all LANTIRN birds later had PTID because it was way easier to integrate it. We wanted a LANTIRN and preferred having it in a realistic if rare version over not having it.

The choice here wasn't between a LANTIRN with TID and a LANTIRN with PTID, it was between LANTIRN with TID or no LANTIRN.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

After todays update F-14B became randomly unflyable regarding trim. 

I have created an empty Syria mission from Dier ez-Zor airbase cold start from parking and it always starts hot unless throttles are in cutoff

In many cases it starts with broken trim in either roll or pitch and it doesn't let to be trimmed to neutral and sometimes it is blocked in one direction.

Autopilot is also broken - when disengaged when supersonic it starts rolling and impossible to trim, need to reset all 3 flight stabilization switches to stabilize 

Plane sometimes becomes unstable and starts rolling midflight

I have experienced torsional flutter very visible on F2 view

All this was happening over several flights and I had to reset mission few times

• Like 1

F-14, A-10CII, F/A-18, Spitfire, FC3, Supercarrier and all of the maps/terrains 

R7 5800X, 32GB DDR4 3733GHz CL14, RTX3090, Sound blaster Z, Oculus Quest 2 and Reverb G2, WINWING F/A-18 Orion HOTAS...

7 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

I have noticed the weird rolling/attitude behavior too, but this is the Tomcast thread.

ups. I have taught that it's TOMCAT. Sorry

• Like 1

F-14, A-10CII, F/A-18, Spitfire, FC3, Supercarrier and all of the maps/terrains 

R7 5800X, 32GB DDR4 3733GHz CL14, RTX3090, Sound blaster Z, Oculus Quest 2 and Reverb G2, WINWING F/A-18 Orion HOTAS...

• 2 weeks later...

Freshly released:

The banter is fantastic, this is one of my favourite episodes.

I recommend the part when they talked about notching at the AWG-9 (~58'). I spit my coffee at "It looks like it missed a frame" 😄

Edited by Karon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

On 3/29/2022 at 8:01 AM, Karon said:

Freshly released:

The banter is fantastic, this is one of my favourite episodes.

I recommend the part when they talked about notching at the AWG-9 (~58'). I spit my coffee at "It looks like it missed a frame" 😄

That talk about the AWG-9's resistance against beaming or notching tactics was such a stark contrast to how people fight the F-14 in DCS. 

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

23 minutes ago, DSplayer said:

That talk about the AWG-9's resistance against beaming or notching tactics was such a stark contrast to how people fight the F-14 in DCS. 

Be careful here - it could very much depend upon whether the incoming targets were skylined or not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 5:01 PM, DSplayer said:

It was not resistant to beam or notch. Sounded more like the radar refreshed the TID slow but that it didn't decorrelate the track file. I'm gonna guess that the DDD contact did blank out into the notch filter for a while but repopped up into the scan volume once it was out of the filter.

It was not resistant to beam or notch. Sounded more like the radar refreshed the TID slow but that it didn't decorrelate the track file. I'm gonna guess that the DDD contact did blank out into the notch filter for a while but repopped up into the scan volume once it was out of the filter.

That's resistance of a sort. It's in stark contrast to the AWG-9 behavior in DCS, because in DCS it just can't wait to decorrelate your track files, and then your missile is trash.

7 minutes ago, Katj said:
1 hour ago, Zaphael said:

That's resistance of a sort. It's in stark contrast to the AWG-9 behavior in DCS, because in DCS it just can't wait to decorrelate your track files, and then your missile is trash.

Sort of but not. Because if the target beams and notches you long enough and out of the scan volume, he is gone. 

DCS isn't really performing an actual radar scan. Its simulating a radar and the TID, not emulating the system.

I firmly believe that DCS is a game. It is a simulation, and not an actual emulation of actual systems.

The HB modules emulate the systems even when DCS does not.  That is why the Viggen had ground mapping radar before the Hornet.  That is why we can't have the F-14D.  If they can't figure out how a system functions internally they won't do it.

Definitely appreciate HB for that. Trying to emulate systems and weapons performance speaks volumes of their dedication to what they do.

Yet, an engine like DCS, there are limits to this approach simply because there are too many real world variables. So sometimes, it's okay to just simulate, just make the end product feel like the real thing.

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, cheezit said:

Jumby talks about active phoenix shots (9:10) along with cutting the missile (dropping support completely but it sounds like it could be manually done, 33:50). Pretty cool take on that AIM-54 shot against that MiG-25 in early '99.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

2 hours ago, DSplayer said:

Jumby talks about active phoenix shots (9:10) along with cutting the missile (dropping support completely but it sounds like it could be manually done, 33:50). Pretty cool take on that AIM-54 shot against that MiG-25 in early '99.

I'm guessing by this time the fleet was now devoid of AIM-54A's and was relying entirely on the 54C for use.  We know from multiple sources, the 54C has the ability to go active on it's own based upon an INS system internal to it like the AIM-120 does.  Heatblur has said it will come to the 54C, but has given no ETA on when that may be.  It's also important to note he was in an F-14D at the time and it is possible the AWG-9 COULDN'T but the AN/APG-71 COULD.

What was more interesting in this podcast, was Crunch's comment about the AWG-9 and NOT cranking after launching an AIM-54 in the -A and -B because it would "feed the missile bad data".  I've asked about it in the comments section to the video, so who knows if we get a response to that or not!

• Like 3

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --