The F-14 Tomcast.

Nexus-6

On 7/5/2022 at 9:47 PM, Whiskey11 said:

What was more interesting in this podcast, was Crunch's comment about the AWG-9 and NOT cranking after launching an AIM-54 in the -A and -B because it would "feed the missile bad data".  I've asked about it in the comments section to the video, so who knows if we get a response to that or not!

I guess it makes sense if you analyze second Gulf of Sidra Incident (Ward Carrol explained it in his video US 4 - Libya 0), when RIO was running intercept with cranking and MiG-23s were "turning into him" all the time, which he saw as hostile act. In the same time E2 apparently didn't saw any course changes from MiGs

Edited by The_Tau

• 2 weeks later...

Tung talks about the BOL rails (LAU-138) being able to use flares (5:24). He could be misremembering or misspoke but he said "I was carrying 540 flares as a FAC-A 3 BOL rails with a 160 a piece and 2 buckets" relating to him loading flares.

EDIT: BOL-IR probably?

MJU-52%20CHAFF.JPG

MJU-52 chaff for the BOL rail. Maybe you can stuff 160 of those 1 rail and then fire them individually? 

Also 3 BOL rails? That means he carried both on 1A and 8A along with one on 1B (since 8B most likely had LANTIRN) loaded with BOL-IR (further mentioned at 44:45).

Edited by DSplayer
  • Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

On 7/5/2022 at 12:47 PM, Whiskey11 said:

What was more interesting in this podcast, was Crunch's comment about the AWG-9 and NOT cranking after launching an AIM-54 in the -A and -B because it would "feed the missile bad data".  I've asked about it in the comments section to the video, so who knows if we get a response to that or not!

Okay, so I listened to this, but I got the impression that he was using "crank" in much looser sense of just "crank a turn" rather than "crank to gimbal limits."  It seemed to me that he was just contrasting it with an active-off-the-rail shot (which they were just previously discussing), which was essentially fire-and-forget.  I took "bad data" to mean what would happen if you launched a TWS shot and then went cold.  Anyway, that was my interpretation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Puck is a great interview.  

Very interesting how he talked about wing sweep being manual all the time ("on or off") and all the circuit breakers he was pulling, backing up Snort with mid compression bypass, again, etc. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

2 hours ago, Uxi said:

Puck is a great interview.  

Very interesting how he talked about wing sweep being manual all the time ("on or off") and all the circuit breakers he was pulling, backing up Snort with mid compression bypass, again, etc. 

I'd take that with a grain of salt, as plenty of other pilots have said they kept in auto most of the time in most of the other interviews I've heard (not counting trying to fool people about your energy state by tucking the wings back on the merge).

Also, he mentioned immediately sweeping the wings back manually when disengaging and running away.  The thing is, I don't see how this would be the best thing to do, as at less then transonic speeds, you're actually going to have more induced drag then with the wings more forward (I suppose if you were unloaded the entire time that would negate the induced drag, but I dunno if that's possible).  It almost seemed like a case of "well, it seems like it'd be faster that way."

9 minutes ago, WarthogOsl said:

I'd take that with a grain of salt, as plenty of other pilots have said they kept in auto most of the time in most of the other interviews I've heard (not counting trying to fool people about your energy state by tucking the wings back on the merge).

Also, he mentioned immediately sweeping the wings back manually when disengaging and running away.  The thing is, I don't see how this would be the best thing to do, as at less then transonic speeds, you're actually going to have more induced drag then with the wings more forward (I suppose if you were unloaded the entire time that would negate the induced drag, but I dunno if that's possible).  It almost seemed like a case of "well, it seems like it'd be faster that way."

I took it as a "in BFM, I'm 20 degrees" or otherwise am "running away at 68 degrees" but also seemed to be something he was referencing only when he was in the F-14A but not presumably in the F-14D.  He definitely didn't seem as...  sea story type like Shoes and Snort sometimes did but is presenting this more matter-of-fact of how he learned from his mentors to maximize his aircraft...  

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

1 hour ago, Uxi said:

I took it as a "in BFM, I'm 20 degrees" or otherwise am "running away at 68 degrees"

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to, though.  Like if you are at M.5 and you need to run away, you should not have the wings immediately at 68 degrees if you want to accelerate as fast as possible, at least in level flight.  But again, perhaps he's in an unloaded dive the whole way with no AOA on the airplane, in which case swept back wings might be faster (since the induced drag...the drag created from making lift...is minimized).

7 hours ago, Uxi said:

seemed to be something he was referencing only when he was in the F-14A but not presumably in the F-14D. 

Right, wasn't he the one saying you could do all these tricks in the A but once you had the B and D you didn't need them?

7 hours ago, Spurts said:

Right, wasn't he the one saying you could do all these tricks in the A but once you had the B and D you didn't need them?

Yeah the extra thrust from the GE 110 made it unnecessary and he couldn't cheat the G's because they had things that would "tell."

Specs & Wishlist:

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, cheezit said:

Too many thoughts for me to congeal into writing over lunch.  One question though: which episode were they referring to that had controversial content in it?  I can't remember anything that raised a ruckus.

Well, the LANTIRN episode talking about how hard certain Hornet Mafia admirals worked to prevent that program from happening certainly might cause some controversy. Perhaps some of the performance stuff as well, discussions of the D's capabilities and later maintenance numbers against what was assumed to be a high maintenance jet.

• Like 1

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

1 hour ago, cheezit said:

Too many thoughts for me to congeal into writing over lunch.  One question though: which episode were they referring to that had controversial content in it?  I can't remember anything that raised a ruckus.

The one with an international guest

• Like 2

I thought a Reserves episode or two would have been neat, get some folks from 201 and 202 for the East coast and 301 and 302 for West coast. Some of them flew the doors off their jets and were comprised of fairly senior, experienced crews balanced out by reservist ground crew who sometimes were just reserves or had transitioned from fleet squadrons.

From what I've gathered over the years they sometimes picked up different missions, such as aggressor duty, TARPS competitions (RAM at Bergestrom AFB), did some of the earlier A2G evolutions at Fallon, etc. Their jets were either really old blocks (70 and 75s with 301/302) or brand new + rebuilt + random old (60 and 65 eval jets rebuilt to 135, last 4 A -140s built, and random other jets at 201/202).

And I believe VF-201 had two MiG killers come through the squadron, both 'Music' in the early 90s and CDR Hermon Cook later on. VF-202 in turn had one of if not the highest readiness scores I think from the CNO that had ever been recorded?

Then mixed in you had the VF-1285, VF-1485, and VF-1486 who were augmentees and used VF-124 or 301/302's jets from the sound of it.

And as another side thing, would have been neat to hear about the whole VF-191 and VF-194 thing, getting all those jets and crews only to have it get yanked.

Oh, and last it would have been great to get some VX-4/9/PMTC guys to talk about some of what it was like to run the testing and eval side.

Edited by LanceCriminal86
  • Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

vor 6 Minuten schrieb LanceCriminal86:

I thought a Reserves episode or two would have been neat, get some folks from 201 and 202 for the East coast and 301 and 302 for West coast. Some of them flew the doors off their jets and were comprised of fairly senior, experienced crews balanced out by reservist ground crew who sometimes were just reserves or had transitioned from fleet squadrons.

From what I've gathered over the years they sometimes picked up different missions, such as aggressor duty, TARPS competitions (RAM at Bergestrom AFB), did some of the earlier A2G evolutions at Fallon, etc. Their jets were either really old blocks (70 and 75s with 301/302) or brand new + rebuilt + random old (60 and 65 eval jets rebuilt to 135, last 4 A -140s built, and random other jets at 201/202).

And I believe VF-201 had two MiG killers come through the squadron, both 'Music' in the early 90s and CDR Hermon Cook later on. VF-202 in turn had one of if not the highest readiness scores I think from the CNO that had ever been recorded?

Then mixed in you had the VF-1285, VF-1485, and VF-1486 who were augmentees and used VF-124 or 301/302's jets from the sound of it.

And as another side thing, would have been neat to hear about the whole VF-191 and VF-194 thing, getting all those jets and crews only to have it get yanked.

Oh, and last it would have been great to get some VX-4/9/PMTC guys to talk about some of what it was like to run the testing and eval side.

All good arguments for a second season of the Tomcast. 👍 I hope Bio, Crunch and Jello take note. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that I learned from the "Sunset" episode was that the engines were unusable forever by activating the fire bottles. I thought you might just be able to clean an engine after that and off you go again.

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

I think they blew the bottles more to discharge the bottles so the museum or gate didn't have a surprise later.

May also be some one way operations when pulling the handles that makes the engines fuel system permanently out of service unless repaired. Like spring set quick disconnects or some other stuff.

Usually the extinguishing agent is Halon which the only other thing I can think is shock cooling? 

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#fire-suppression-system

The fire suppression system in the F-14 contains two bottles filled with a fire suppression agent capable of being discharged into one engine selected by the pilot. Though the system contains two bottles, both are discharged at the same time making the system a one-shot system, capable of extinguishing only one engine.

As the effectiveness of the agent depends on it remaining in the engine until the fire is out the effectiveness is greater at lower airspeed as it takes longer for the agent to be blown clear of the engine. The agent itself is a low toxicity agent, designed to do as little damage to the engine as possible while still being an effective fire surpessant.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 minutes ago, JupiterJoe said:

Engine fire suppression doesn't currently work in-game, right?

It should but idk. It's hard to test because HB says it works only for minor engine fire, whatever that means.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria