The F-14 Tomcast.

Nexus-6

13 hours ago, draconus said:

Yea that sounds like Halon to me. Possibly even it may be the DoD is allowed to discharge it still legally, and the receiving exhibitor is not. Although Halon can be reclaimed and there are still places where it’s the only thing that performs that well. So blowing it is kind of a waste of something that can’t be made anymore.

13 hours ago, JupiterJoe said:

Engine fire suppression doesn't currently work in-game, am I right?

Depends on your definition of “works” it’s not magic. A regular something went wrong fire that all jet engines may have to del with, and a you got hit with a missile engine fire are two different things.

Edited by RustBelt

18 hours ago, RustBelt said:

I think they blew the bottles more to discharge the bottles so the museum or gate didn't have a surprise later.

Usually the extinguishing agent is Halon which the only other thing I can think is shock cooling? 

Puck Howe seemed pretty convinced that activating the extinguisher ruined the engines when he talked about delivering an F-14 to a museum.  Not sure if this is the case for the Tomcat, but apparently an agent like C02 can cause the turbine case to shrink enough to damage the turbine section, possibly to the point where it disintegrates.

13 hours ago, RustBelt said:

Yea that sounds like Halon to me. Possibly even it may be the DoD is allowed to discharge it still legally, and the receiving exhibitor is not. Although Halon can be reclaimed and there are still places where it’s the only thing that performs that well. So blowing it is kind of a waste of something that can’t be made anymore.

Depends on your definition of “works” it’s not magic. A regular something went wrong fire that all jet engines may have to del with, and a you got hit with a missile engine fire are two different things.

No in-game footage exists of the fire extinguisher system putting out a fire.  I've never seen it work, having tried many times.  In my opinion it isn't implemented/working. I'd love to be proven wrong.  

Edited by JupiterJoe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WarthogOsl said:

Puck Howe seemed pretty convinced that activating the extinguisher ruined the engines when he talked about delivering an F-14 to a museum.  Not sure if this is the case for the Tomcat, but apparently an agent like C02 can cause the turbine case to shrink enough to damage the turbine section, possibly to the point where it disintegrates.

Well Halon started life as a refrigerant, so I could see it shock cooling I suppose. Typically once an engine is on fire, you aren’t expecting it to work again anyways.

5 hours ago, Spurts said:

I used to use the fire extinguishers to shut down the engines after a mission, so they do something.

Pulling the cover cuts the fuel for that engine so no button is needed to shut it down then.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

16 hours ago, RustBelt said:

Well Halon started life as a refrigerant, so I could see it shock cooling I suppose. Typically once an engine is on fire, you aren’t expecting it to work again anyways.

At the very least it would need to pulled and have an overhaul done.  That wasn't happening on the last flight of a Tomcat at that stage in the game.

16 hours ago, Spurts said:

I used to use the fire extinguishers to shut down the engines after a mission, so they do something.

Probably just the fuel cut for now, regardless. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, cheezit said:

Sorry to dredge an old topic, but did all these episodes disappear from YouTube?  I can't find anything at the moment.

Yep. I heard they will be transferred and re-uploaded to a new channel, The Fighter Pilot Podcast IIRC. Not sure when though.

• Thanks 1