Pimax 8KX and high end GPU playable today ?

dureiken

Hi pilots

sorry if it's already somewhere in the forum but someone sell a Pimax  8KX next to me and I would like to know if we can now play DCS with this HMD today ?

Do you achieve to have a stable 45fps with a 3080TI/3090/6900 XT ?

thanks a lot for your feedback

I'm running a 3080ti with my 8kx and with 4x MSAA and reasonable video settings I get anywhere from 35-60 fps at 100% steam vr scale (like 5100x3400) BUT with the Fidelity FX super resolution modified dll (so it's really rendering at 77% and upscaling with some sharpening).

The experience is decent unless you're demanding 90 fps which you are just not going to achieve with this engine and this generation hardware at these resolutions.

50 minutes ago, FoxTwo said:

I'm running a 3080ti with my 8kx and with 4x MSAA and reasonable video settings I get anywhere from 35-60 fps at 100% steam vr scale (like 5100x3400) BUT with the Fidelity FX super resolution modified dll (so it's really rendering at 77% and upscaling with some sharpening).

The experience is decent unless you're demanding 90 fps which you are just not going to achieve with this engine and this generation hardware at these resolutions.

Ok thanks a lot ! Does reprojection work at 45 fps ?

Thanks

I've got 3090 with Pimax 8KX. I use reprojection with 90Hz. Using the AMD FSR mod brings graphical performance to a reasonable level. 

There's some tinkering involved, but by dialling the right settings back it's perfectly smooth.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 12:58 AM, FoxTwo said:

It's 75Hz (currently, there's a 90Hz beta but it's not without issues) so reprojection kicks in at ~38fps

I also tried the beta pimax @ 90hz and getting fuzzy screen so i went back to 75.

25 minutes ago, shafs64 said:

I also tried the beta pimax @ 90hz and getting fuzzy screen so i went back to 75.

There are a few different beta firmwares for 90hz available. One of them works for me but has some black screens/blanking at 90Hz. It's temperamental and still very much in beta, but there are some people out there who say it's working great for them. To be honest when I'm running at 90Hz I don't notice much of a difference.

I fly without motion smoothing/repro. I find it the worst reprojection of all HMDs. I dialed in my settings to provide close to 75 fps. It dips to low 60s on more complex missions. Pretty playable. 3090.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat