The big VR decision

Robsterios

Hi..this may be already covered off here somewhere but I'm trying to convince myself to go VR. Some time ago, I gave VR a go in a mates car racing sim and nearly heaved my guts up after a few laps. Also tried his DCS but was already nauseous from the laps I did.. It looked awesome so since read into the whole VR sickness issue and that one can overcome this with practice but would love to hear from others who like me struggled at the beginning and now with practice has no issues. My rig is now worthy having upgraded to 3080ti Ryzen 5700x, 32G (probably soon to be 64G). 

Also trying to decide between G2 or Pimax 8K.. any advice would be appreciated..

cheers, Rob.  

Hello!
Had the same experience the first time, with heavy nausea after a short flight of about 10 min. I could still feel it the day after.

Still went on to buy my own VR-set after a couple of months. Difficult in the beginning, a lot of really calm flying, and paused as soon as I started to feel anything. It passed in a couple of weeks. Now I have no issues at all!

I could only do 5mins to begin with, i now do missions of 3 or so hours, without feeling sick ... the trick for me was small increments lots of rest between and keeping a high frame rate/low frame time 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I get motion sickness pretty easily when riding in a car ( not driving).

I had it at first when I got my first VR headset, but got acclimated to it just fine after a week or two.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My first experience with VR was Mission: ISS then VR Rollercoaster, needless to say it was terrible, dizzy for a day or 2. Read up on how to get your VR legs and practiced for a week. Now I can go on till I'm tired, most time I played was 6+ hours all on DCS.

I would also suggest getting the G2 specially with the new cable, its better now with regards to stability. Its cheaper but punches above its price. Its also the king of clarity only losing to the Varjo headsets which are really expensive. You will want the best clarity for sims as you will need to read dials, gauges, digital stuff, etc. The Pimax also is a very good choice, clarity is close to the G2. Fov is massive, far beyond the G2 but is also expensive.

Edited by L0ngbow

One other thing to consider. You will never get the clarity and high definition of a 2d monitor. Even with the G2, it's only very clear in the "sweet-spot". I don't have a problem with that, the immersion and depth perception is simply more important to me. Some people don't like that. So your mileage may vary. I'd say, try it out somewhere, wherever possible. If at all possible try and borrow a headset and try it out at home. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

VR sickness is temporary and just occurs because your brain is confused with your eyes telling it that you're rolling and the balance in your inner ear saying you're not. Your brain will work it out and compensate with practice.

G2 for me, though some have moved recently to the Vive Pro 2 and highly rate it.

The other thing to consider is that even with your rig you'll need to spend some time optimising to get the best experience, but plenty of folks on this forum will help you.

Just beware though, once you go VR there's really no going back to pancake mode. VR: the class A drug of gaming 😉

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

I had severe motion sickness issues as well.  Short, gentle flights build tolerance.  The mistake is to go too long, which will result in feeling nauseous for hours or the rest of the day.  I also found sips of club soda helped.  Took me about a month before it became a none issue and could fly for three to four hours at a time.  The G2 clarity and price are hard to beat right now. 

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

Yeah it takes alittle time for sure but once your brain adapts to the VR scene it’s like a walk in the park. Little at a time.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I still get sick if I try to use higher graphic settings and then reduce the display frequency.

i suggest to start with low settings and then slowly set them higher until you find your tolerance frequency.

• Like 1

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

For me taxiing was the worst part to begin with and I found anything else that involved driving or moving across the ground (shooters without teleport) way worse than the flying. As others have said, build it up slowly and you will be fine. Go for runway starts and easy circuits. Now I can do anything in DCS with no problem, but if I ever have a long vr shooter game session (without teleporting) I still feel a tiny bit wobbly but I really don't do that very much.

40 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

VR: the class A drug of gaming 😉

and way more expensive!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Well I feel no I’ll effect until I practised hovering last night. I swung around back and forth, left and right, up and down like crazy…

The worse thing is, the best way to fly a helo is in VR…

Edited by VFGiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, Hoirtel said:

For me taxiing was the worst part to begin with and I found anything else that involved driving or moving across the ground (shooters without teleport) way worse than the flying. As others have said, build it up slowly and you will be fine. Go for runway starts and easy circuits. Now I can do anything in DCS with no problem, but if I ever have a long vr shooter game session (without teleporting) I still feel a tiny bit wobbly but I really don't do that very much.

Yeah, it was the same for me. My local hardware dealer had a test room for VR and I played Project Cars there which lead to me not buying the headset at that time because of motion sickness. The experience left some impression however, so I bought it a couple of weeks later anyway.

And indeed, flying was much less problematic for me than racing games. I think it´s because you have a closer reference with the moving ground in a car. 

But really, after a couple of weeks, the motion sickness was totally gone for me. I can fly or drive around for hours without problems now.

Edited by Eugel

Same experience for me, racing games were more nausea inducing than flightsims when I bought the first headset. 

I'm not a pilot so not feeling g forces in DCS did not bother me much, but when driving a car my mind was expecting to feel something. Got used to it after a few sessions. 

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I'm one of the lucky ones, and never really had a issue with motion sickness in VR.

I have a G2 and am very pleased with it.  One thing that others have mention that really can impact VR sickness is the refresh rate./fps.  If your rig can't push enough FPS then you will have to lower settings or risk getting sick.  the 3080 Ti is plenty for the G2.  I don't have a clue as to the Pimax 8K.

Good luck.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

I had the G2, then switched to 8KX as I found the FOV advantage to be very important to prop flying

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Hi

do you achieve to make it works with your GPU ? which one is it ?

thanks
I tuned it via fholger FSR plugin, getting about 75fps on a 10900 and 3090

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

3 minutes ago, The LT said:
30 minutes ago, dureiken said:
Hi

do you achieve to make it works with your GPU ? which one is it ?

thanks

I tuned it via fholger FSR plugin, getting about 75fps on a 10900 and 3090

awesome

could we see your DCS settings ? you play large fov ? thanks

9 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

and way more expensive!

Tell me about it.

Prior to VR I never had to have the top GPU or the top CPU.

Now that I game in VR I go for the best I can get at the time.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

27 minutes ago, dburne said:

Tell me about it.

Prior to VR I never had to have the top GPU or the top CPU.

Now that I game in VR I go for the best I can get at the time.

Ahh so true, so true. 

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.