Thrustmaster Warthog question

Hi guys,

I recently bought a thrustmaster warthog joystick and throttle a few days ago. I plugged it in and went straight into dcs. I love it its really nice. I set up the keybinds in dcs and have been flying. My question is do I need to download some thrustmaster software to do anything else to set up the warthog or is plugging it in, setting up the keys within DCS enough to get the most out of the joystick?

Do I need the software?

Kind Regards,

Also, my 2nd question is that the throttle isn't butter smooth as it was when I first opened it and used it a few days ago. There seems to be a very light creaking and I can notice that its not butter smooth as it was. Its not a big deal but its playing on my mind everytime i use it.

Any ideas?

Hey,

you need to install the drivers, but not necessarily the TARGET software.

But I guess it depends on what you want to do with the stick/throttle. Most stuff you can do within DCS itself. I never felt the need for the TARGET software. 

But then again, I mostly fly the A-10, everything was setup correctly in DCS right away. So your mileage may vary.

As for the throttle, this doesn´t sound normal. I never had any creaking sound after several years and the "smoothness" also hasn´t changed.

Maybe you accidentally fiddled around with the friction wheel ? 

Edited by Eugel

29 minutes ago, Eugel said:

Hey,

you need to install the drivers, but not necessarily the TARGET software.

But I guess it depends on what you want to to with the stick/throttle. Most stuff you can do within DCS itself. I never felt the need for the TARGET software. 

But then again, I mostly fly the A-10, everything was setup correctly in DCS right away. So your mileage may vary.

As for the throttle, this doesn´t sound normal. I never had any creaking sound after several years and the "smoothness" also hasn´t changed.

Maybe you accidentally fiddled around with the friction wheel ? 

Hey, thanks for the reply. I have the friction wheel set to minimum but I have turned it to try a harder friction but set it back to light. In either case there is a slight unsmoothness. It feels like something is rubbing against something. Could this be a software issue or mechanical only?

Also, I didn't install anything. I just plugged it in and played DCS. Did the drivers install automatically? Could a firmware update fix above issue ?

Thank you for your reply.

Edited by Viciam1

As Eugel said, you need the drivers but not necessarily TARGET.

TARGET is optional, and depending on what games you play and how you use it, learning TARGET may or my not be worth the effort.

I use it and have found it is worthwhile to me.  I also play ELite Dangerous and have a profile for that as well as profiles for IL-1 Battel of xxx series.

31 minutes ago, Viciam1 said:

Hey, thanks for the reply. I have the friction wheel set to minimum but I have turned it to try a harder friction but set it back to light. In either case there is a slight unsmoothness. It feels like something is rubbing against something. Could this be a software issue or mechanical only?

Also, I didn't install anything. I just plugged it in and played DCS. Did the drivers install automatically? Could a firmware update fix above issue ?

Thank you for your reply.

The drivers probably are Windows drivers and should be fine.  As to the firmware, they should already have the latest version.  TARGET can tell you what version.

As for the "unsmoothness" that would be mechanical, software would not impact that.  You should be able to verify that by moving the throttle when the computer is shut down.

Can you describe the "unsmoothness" a little more?  Does it "stick" or make any type of noise?

Edited by AKA_Clutter

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

Hi, it doesn't stick but its defo not butter smooth. If i disconnect the 2 throttles, the left one is super butter silk smooth but the right one there seems to be something there. Its not much but its like something is rubbing against something else. theres no noise its just the way it feels.

Does the stick show up in windows and DCS as "Thrustmaster Warthog" ? Or as a generic Joystick ? If it is the latter, you will be able to fly with it, but probably not all the buttons will work properly.

But it´s an old and popular stick, so it might as well be included in Windows driver database.

Could it be that some small object fell into the opening of the throttle levers ? And that is blocking or scraping on the plastic ?
When you move them seperately, do both of them make the creaking sound ? 

In DCS it shows up as Throttle - Warthog and Joystick - Warthog. The buttons do seem to work fine. as they do everything I need and want them to do.

In Windows device manager I can't see thrustmaster anywhere.

When moving them seperately...the small left one works butter smooth. Its the right one thats not smooth. Could it be a greasing issue where the grease dried up? I'm guessing these items can be stocked on shelves for many many months unused?

The main, and probably the most obvious issue not using TARGET is that switches are not fully assignable (unless very specific command exists in the game/module). For the 3-positions switches, you can assign only two positions (back and forward), and only one position for 2-positions swiches (the ON position). Using TARGET allow to overcome this limitation.

Edited by sedenion

23 minutes ago, sedenion said:

The main, and probably the most obvious issue not using TARGET is that switches are not fully assignable (unless very specific command exists in the game/module). For the 3-positions switches, you can assign only two positions (back and forward), and only one position for 2-positions swiches (the ON position). Using TARGET allow to overcome this limitation.

Using third party tools like Joystick Gremlin also allow you to overcome the limitations and have 3 position switches for example. Personally I find it a much easier option.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

7 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Using third party tools like Joystick Gremlin also allow you to overcome the limitations and have 3 position switches for example. Personally I find it a much easier option.

Yes Joystick Gremlin is a good option. I personnaly use TARGET with extended number of DX buttons, allowing to create advanced mapping (which Joystick Gremlin don't do as far as I know).

12 minutes ago, sedenion said:

Yes Joystick Gremlin is a good option. I personnaly use TARGET with extended number of DX buttons, allowing to create advanced mapping (which Joystick Gremlin don't do as far as I know).

I have never got into Target but have used Joystick Gremlin for several tasks, what advanced mapping do you mean? Just intrigued!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, Baldrick33 said:

I have never got into Target but have used Joystick Gremlin for several tasks, what advanced mapping do you mean? Just intrigued!

Dual output for same button with short or long press, advanced behavior for push button with latching emulation, such kind of thing... TARGET also allow LED control... not indispensable but appreciable. (precision: I use TARGET Script Editor, not the more user-friendly GUI variant)

Edited by sedenion

Something could fallen down in the grooves, it's easy to take off the L/R separator between the throttles and see if anything fell in there, take a vacuum and see what you can get out of it. LOL, I'm always having to vacuum my keyboard.................  messy Marvin....................  You do not need TARGET software, it ridiculously easy to use though.  The 128 DX button fix would probably be more to your liking. I thought you were supposed to be able to sync the TMWH to a module so it got the full functionality like the aircraft.  Getting your LONG/SHORT TEMPO presses.  You will not be able to do that with TARGET, only the script editor will let you do that.  The 128 button DX script will let you do that with no problems you only need to enable it in the first part of the script with either a 0= no, or a 1 = yes. 

define S1_LONG            1        // Enable (1) or Disable (0) Long-Press for S1 button

Cheers

Hoss

Edited by BeoWolf_57

Sempre Fortis

Yeah back when I was using my Warthog stick and throttle I used Target Script Editor, it was pretty powerful.

I will say though now I like just assigning to buttons in game. DCS has probably the best controller setup menu I have seen in a flight sim.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

5 hours ago, dburne said:

I will say though now I like just assigning to buttons in game. DCS has probably the best controller setup menu I have seen in a flight sim.

That's also what I do... in fact I use TARGET like you use Joystick Gremlin, I only generate a virtual device with lot of assignable buttons. The limitation is that TARGET create only one combined device, now with up to 120 buttons, but it allow advanced programmable behaviors. 

If you already use Voice Attack, it also has functionality to easily assign keyboard sequences to all joystick buttons and switches, including assigning seperate functions to the engage and release of each switch. So it's very easy to assign on/off to 2 way latched throttle switches and function 1/off/function 2 to 3 ways. (It also support long/short press assignment)

I use DCS setup for momentary buttons and Voice Attack for any latched switches on the throttle I want to assign for a particular aircraft, which works nicely as you can have a seperate VA profile for each aircraft and switch between them with a voice command.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

11 hours ago, sedenion said:

Dual output for same button with short or long press, advanced behavior for push button with latching emulation, such kind of thing... TARGET also allow LED control... not indispensable but appreciable. (precision: I use TARGET Script Editor, not the more user-friendly GUI variant)

I see. Joystick Gremlin has Tempo functions (short and long presses). Smart Toggle (hold down as if latched until pressed again), double tap, macros and other options. I had no idea it could do so much until I started delving. It has transformed what I can do with my HOTAS. I doubt there is everything TARGET can do but it provides all I have found I wanted. It seems a bit more user friendly plus I can use it for my button boxes as well. I have used to consolidate my number of devices shown in DCS as I have sim racing kit too and can hide the native devices having combined them into a couple of virtual devices using vJoy.

It is really useful though I do seem more adept at setting up controls in DCS than blowing stuff up 🙂

Edited by Baldrick33

It does NOT need proprietary drivers. Its a generic HID device.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2021 at 2:10 AM, dburne said:

Yeah back when I was using my Warthog stick and throttle I used Target Script Editor, it was pretty powerful.

True, but as DCS noob i am still fighting the controller lay outing for various planes for my warthog system without pedals, as i am used to IL2 sturmovik GB, and DCS defaults totally different.

Like i want to set certain things up for all planes at once which seems impossible:

Example keyboard G for gear toggle, F4 for arcade chase view, instead of the default ShiftL-F4.

Assign Flaps and Autopilot to my Throttle unit that's marked there as such.

There's also an APU button which might be handy if you can address several engine start functions at once even.