Training & Profile question from a noob

Humpsterj

Hi all very new here, trying to follow the A10II C training flight for HOTAS, I get put in auto pilot mode and the trainer talks me through the different buttons, hats etc then all a sudden, the auto pilot disengages and i spiral ground words and I crash.

My question is this 

Is there a recommended Warthog combo profile that I can download from somewhere I also have TM MFD and Crosswinds MFG pedals in my setup.

Many thanks for any help?

Kind regards

Humpster

The autopilot does not have an auto-throttle; if you get too slow, it can't cope and will disconnect at some point.

Before you do the HOTAS training, you should make sure all axes are mapped correctly. In any mission where you fly the A-10, hit ESC and then change the Controls. In the next dialog, you'll have "Axis Settings".

You'll want pitch on the stick fore-and-aft axis, and on that axis only. Roll on the stick right-and-left axis, left throttle on the left throttle (duh! :D), right throttle on the right throttle, and then the rudders are where DCS doesn't usually get things right. The rudder itself goes to the "Rudder" axis, and the left and right wheel brakes go to - you guessed it - left and right wheel brakes.

You can go into any of the INSTANT ACTION -> Free Flight missions to check and set your controller assignments, that's a bit easier than going into the training missions where there's an instructor telling you stuff all the time.

14 minutes ago, Humpsterj said:

Is there a recommended Warthog combo profile that I can download from somewhere

The Warthog comes plug and play. The only "wrong" assignment is the trim hat, which is mapped to the view controls. Other than that, all the buttons and knobs and axes should already be mapped correctly for the A-10C and A-10C II modules out of the box.

If you use TrackIR or any other type of head tracking, I'd re-map the trim hat to trim nose up/down/left/right without a modifier.

You'll also have the throttle friction slider (marked INCR and DECR) free for use, because it doesn't actually control the friction of your throttle, and there is no virtual throttle friction in the DCS A-10C. Many people map it to the "Zoom" axis.

Coming back to the training mission and the autopilot disconnecting: Once all your axes are properly mapped, just make sure your throttle is somewhere in the middle to top region during the training missions, so the aircraft doesn't slow down too much. And don't worry about overspeeding... in level flight, it's impossible to go too fast in the A-10. 😄

• Like 1