Needles vs FLOLS ball icon

Thundercat710

Greetings,

I'm confused by this image. Should there be any discrepancy between the ball icon and needles? This image was from about 2 miles out, and remained different the whole way in. Jet was set with switches to ACL, Steering Command to AWL/PCD, and in Landing mode. AI said fly bullseye first, then when I got closer it said ACLS lockon, fly Mode 2. And yes, I got on speed before trapping lol

Thanks for your help!

error.png

7 minutes ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

The FLOLS is sadly calibrated for the Hornet, as I understand it.

I've read so much conflicting information on this topic, I'm not sure who to believe lol

8 minutes ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

ACLS is off as well, as stated by HB, they are still fine tuning it.

I read that the F-14 ACLS was off in regards to it being initially too powerfully-implemented, meaning it would get you on the boat in Auto with no sweat, and then later HB said that they intentionally made it more powerful than it was in real life (so that it's actually useful), but that they were going to tune it down and make it less of a guarantee. Is that what you were referring to as far as the ACLS being "off"? Or were you meaning that the needles indicators are off?

Thanks for your reply, sir!

11 minutes ago, Thundercat710 said:

@IronMike, can you set me straight on what my expectations should be for this, sir?

Thanks!

The hook-to-eye setting is still the one from the hornet, not the Tomcat, so you have to fly it a ball high iirc on the needles (and also when watching the LSO platform). The IFLOLS however has been fixed, so should be right on the ball there. I haven't checked in a while though. 

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

18 hours ago, Thundercat710 said:

So if you're manually flying in the Case 3, you're supposed to be on ICLS?

ICLS matches FLOLS, ACLS doesn't?

Thanks for your response

Precisely 

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

21 hours ago, IronMike said:

The hook-to-eye setting is still the one from the hornet, not the Tomcat, so you have to fly it a ball high iirc on the needles (and also when watching the LSO platform). The IFLOLS however has been fixed, so should be right on the ball there. I haven't checked in a while though. 

So mike if I am not using the pop up IFLOLS I need a high ball if I am just using the one mounted on the boat. Also if using the ICLS needles I need to fly slightly high as well?

2 hours ago, grant977 said:

So mike if I am not using the pop up IFLOLS I need a high ball if I am just using the one mounted on the boat. Also if using the ICLS needles I need to fly slightly high as well?

pop and on boat ball should be correct. acls a ball high, icls correct as well. But I would really need to re-verify all that, since I am shooting top off my head now.

@IceFire might be more current with it and shed additional light.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

On 9/17/2021 at 1:41 PM, IronMike said:

pop and on boat ball should be correct. acls a ball high, icls correct as well. But I would really need to re-verify all that, since I am shooting top off my head now.

@IceFire might be more current with it and shed additional light.

Does the fact that the super carrier module treats the F14A as a Hornet give the wrong IFLOS eye to hook height?

7 hours ago, Hawkeye91 said:

Does the fact that the super carrier module treats the F14A as a Hornet give the wrong IFLOS eye to hook height?

no I think the IFLOLS has been fixed, but platcam (and ACLS) show as hornet and thus wrong... also stacking etc. but again, need to re-verify all of that again. 🙂 [ACLS doesnt show as hornet, but I think in connection to the platcam setting it is off as well, but need to investigate that further as well.]

If for some reason it is broken again, then you would indeed have to fly a ball high for a 3 wire.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

There are two different things to consider: Hook-to-eye distance (i.e. the vertical offset of the glidepath indication to compenste for the vertical distance between hook touch-down point and pilot's POV) , which is aircraft specific and glideslope angle, which is the same for all aircraft (but can be adjusted depending on WOD). 

Now the hook-to-eye distance is indeed set for the Hornet right now, but its not so much of a problem. If you fly a centered ball, you may catch the two instead of the three wire, hence try to flying a little high in the wires if you really want that three wire. 

The glideslope angle is correct for both the ball and ICLS (they dont match 100%, but they also dont IRL, always use the ball as soon as you can see it and disregard anything else) . ACLS however gives you a too shallow angle, making you come in too low at the 3/4 mile. 

• Like 1

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD