How do I go to the final version of DCS World if I currently have the Open beta?

Alphamale
Go to solution Solved by Tippis,

First of all, by “final version”, do you mean installing the latest stable branch or do you just mean updating the latest build, period?

Second, the easiest way of doing either is to get the DCS Updater GUI, which lets you pick branch and build fairly easily. The GUI itself is at times a bit clunky, but it is still a massive improvement over having to do it via the command line.

If you still want to do it manually, the full instruction of the updater functions and parameters can be found here. Just note that doing it that way means you have to research exactly which build number is the latest one for the branch (beta or stable) you want to run. In practice, you can pick the wrong one without issue but that will, obviously, give you the wrong version.

As a general rule, doing this will not have any effect on your modules or missions, short of if you go back to a stable release that does not yet support one of the modules you have installed. If you have any mods installed in the base directory (and you really shouldn't — there are better places for that in most cases), those will be “repaired” (read: wiped) in the process like with any update. Apply whatever mod management tools and methods you'd usually employ for any regular update.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

11 minutes ago, Tippis said:

First of all, by “final version”, do you mean installing the latest stable branch or do you just mean updating the latest build, period?

Second, the easiest way of doing either is to get the DCS Updater GUI, which lets you pick branch and build fairly easily. The GUI itself is at times a bit clunky, but it is still a massive improvement over having to do it via the command line.

If you still want to do it manually, the full instruction of the updater functions and parameters can be found here. Just note that doing it that way means you have to research exactly which build number is the latest one for the branch (beta or stable) you want to run. In practice, you can pick the wrong one without issue but that will, obviously, give you the wrong version.

As a general rule, doing this will not have any effect on your modules or missions, short of if you go back to a stable release that does not yet support one of the modules you have installed. If you have any mods installed in the base directory (and you really shouldn't — there are better places for that in most cases), those will be “repaired” (read: wiped) in the process like with any update. Apply whatever mod management tools and methods you'd usually employ for any regular update.

I mean the stable release.  And if so, will going to the latest stable release prevent me from getting early access to modules such as the Longbow?  TIA

2 minutes ago, Alphamale said:

I mean the stable release.  And if so, will going to the latest stable release prevent me from getting early access to modules such as the Longbow?  TIA

Usually yes, at least the latest and greatest ones.

It's hard to give a rule of thumb, but stable has at times lagged behind open beta by as much as half a year, so anything that wasn't in the beta at that point is not in stable. Conversely, on the day that a new stable version is released, it is almost always brought in line with the current beta version so both will commonly  have the same capability. Even then, though. some of the “earlier-than-normal” access modules will occasionally still be held back because they are just not ready for prime time yet.

I'm sure there's some list out there that specifies what is in (and not) the respective stable and beta branches in a clear manner so you don't have to dig through and compare months of patch notes to figure it out yourself, but I unfortunately don't know of one myself. You'll sometimes see it mentioned directly on the store page for a given module that it requires some specific version, and that version is only available on the beta branch at that moment.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Just now, Tippis said:

Usually yes, at least the latest and greatest ones.

It's hard to give a rule of thumb, but stable has at times lagged behind open beta by as much as half a year, so anything that wasn't in the beta at that point is not in stable. Conversely, on the day that a new stable version is released, it is almost always brought in line with the current beta version so both will commonly  have the same capability. Even then, though. some of the “earlier-than-normal” access modules will occasionally still be held back because they are just not ready for prime time yet.

I'm sure there's some list out there that specifies what is in (and not) the respective stable and beta branches in a clear manner so you don't have to dig through and compare months of patch notes to figure it out yourself, but I unfortunately don't know of one myself. You'll sometimes see it mentioned directly on the store page for a given module that it requires some specific version, and that version is only available on the beta branch at that moment.

Well then, that being the case, it seems it would be more prudent to use the most recent openbeta if you would want to have at least some access to projects before you die.  Wouldn't you agree given past trends?

• Solution
15 minutes ago, Alphamale said:

Well then, that being the case, it seems it would be more prudent to use the most recent openbeta if you would want to have at least some access to projects before you die.  Wouldn't you agree given past trends?

I'm a glutton for pain and bugs and fancy new things (and also running servers for people with the same proclivities), so for me, there's little other option. 😄 

That said, my experience is that there's very little benefit to running the stable branch to begin with. It may be “stable”, but commonly  not to a degree that separates it from the beta branch in any appreciable way, and the beta branch will have the latest bug fixes, which is often worth more.

• Like 1

BTW: Stable and Open Beta are on the same version right now (2.7.5.10896).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

But since yesterday afternoon not anymore. Open Beta progressed to the next level, it has been updated to 2.7.6.12852.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

@Alphamale as @Lange_666 stated, there are brief periods where stable and ob are on same level. but if you are asking if ob process will ever end and only be stable? i doubt it. you could always ignore the ob patches and only go from stable to next stable.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 9/19/2021 at 9:36 AM, silverdevil said:

@Alphamale as @Lange_666 stated, there are brief periods where stable and ob are on same level. but if you are asking if ob process will ever end and only be stable? i doubt it. you could always ignore the ob patches and only go from stable to next stable.

Well the thing is, the executable itself is openbeta.exe.  I'd rather have the final executable than have a "Stand-by"

Ehm? My OpenBeta exe is called DCS.exe and not openbeta.exe.

image.png

Looking at your responses, i guess you don't seem to get the idea behind ED's Open Beta and Stable versions.

8 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Ehm? My OpenBeta exe is called DCS.exe and not openbeta.exe.

image.png

Looking at your responses, i guess you don't seem to get the idea behind ED's Open Beta and Stable versions.

i agree with @Lange_666 it is DCS.EXE. the shortcut points to DCS_updater.EXE which prompts to load latest version. if you don't want to update, you just opt out. you cant theoretically keep at the same version forever.  look at this link. via the command line you can switch back and forth between versions. https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/94816-guide-info-dcs-updater-usage-version-numbers-module-ids/

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain