F15C HUD brightness is VERY dim

Fabiano-VIKING

Hi folks. As the title says, the HUD brightness is VERY dim, thus making it impossible to read during day time.

I have also noticed that the gama brightness inside the F15 cockpit looks higher/brighter (I'm using VR) than inside other aircrafts.

I apologize if this has been posted recently, I searched  on the forum but I could only find a topic from 2020. Thank you guys! 😃

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

There are default keybindings for controlling HUD brightness. I've changed mine but I believe RCtrl + RShift + H = Brightness Up, and RAlt + RShift + H = Brightness Down. Or something like that.

Also, you can change the color of the HUD Symbology, with RCtrl + H (or is it RAlt + H, anyway, just try these combinations out and you'll figure out).

I wish there was a control for the cockpit lights brightness as well.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @3.6GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 8GB | HyperX Fury 16GB RAM @2666MHz | ASUS Prime B-350 Plus | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W PSU | Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | 1.25TB HDD Total | NZXT Phantom Black Full-Tower ATX Case | Saitek-Mad Catz F.L.Y.5 Flight Stick + Xbox 360 Controller + Keyboard + Mouse Combo for DCS | FreeTrack + PS3 Eye + 3-LED clip Combo for headtracking

Yes, I'm aware of all that. But even set to the maximum, those controls are still not enough. 😕

I wish ED would give more attention to these modules. A lot of people use and like them, plus they are still being sold, so it would be fair to take good care of those modules as well. 

• Like 5

For the F15/FC3 HUD color, I scroll past the red options to the yellow/white color.  Works best for me.

• Like 1

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

• 7 months later...
On 11/4/2021 at 11:03 PM, ACME_WIdgets said:

For the F15/FC3 HUD color, I scroll past the red options to the yellow/white color.  Works best for me.

Yeah! I do that too!! But still, in some conditions it is still really difficult to see something. I think ED should give FC3 more attention, since it's still being sold, a lot of people use it and it's a lot fun. 😃

5 hours ago, draconus said:

You mean just like RL?

1 - in DCS it's exagerated.
2 - it's the only aircraft in DCS that this happen.
3 - this is not real life... there are a lot other factors that lack realism in DCS than just the HUD.
4 - we cannot repeat the HUD on the F-15C MFD in DCS. =/

I think we have more than enough reasons to fix this. 😃

7 hours ago, Fabiano-VIKING said:

1 - in DCS it's exagerated.
2 - it's the only aircraft in DCS that this happen.
3 - this is not real life... there are a lot other factors that lack realism in DCS than just the HUD.
4 - we cannot repeat the HUD

1. How do you know?

2. How do you know they are not exaggerated? I have FC3 aircraft and F-14. There are situations where the HUD (or other instrument) is barely visible in all of them.

3. It's not a good reason to pile up more unrealistic stuff.

4. Most of its info is available in other instruments.

Look, I just want it to be realistic. If it means that after correction it will be even less visible, I'm cool with that. You just want it to be easier, right?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

To drop my few cents: the HUD on the FC3 F-15C is all but illegible in any daylight situation compared to the A-10C or the F/A-18C. You really need to zoom in a lot to make any use of it. It feels like it's missing a shader to make the single-pixel lines "pop". It's just bad, frustrating, not fun.

Given the same position, one of the attached images (all taken by placing the aircraft in the same starting position, loading into the mission, and taking a screenshot without zooming) is strictly worse than the others with barely any contrast even against the runway, and that's about as good as it gets even if you fiddle with brightness and colour. And considering that FC3 is supposed to be a more "fun" or "arcade-y" experience than something like the F/A-18C or the A-10C, I would not accept rEaLisM to be an argument for the player not seeing anything on the HUD at daytime.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Laurreth

Only the last screen can be compared to the second (with the F-15C). The first and third are made from a much closer view to the HUD. Especially the one with the F/A-18C. If you "move closer" to the HUD on the F-15C, it will also be legible.

Edited by Nahen