Feedback Thread - F14 Patch 17th Sept 2021

IronMike

Dear all,

as always here is the feedback thread for the current patch. Thank you for your very kind feedback and support, you guys rock, and so many things we fixed in the meantime, which would have never been possible without your input. Thank you so much!

In particular I would like to say thank you to @DoorMouse and @Zergburger this time, who helped us iron out desync issues together with ED, with the amazing report they put together, which brings me to the most exciting news of this patch:

Missile desync for the Aim54s has finally been fixed (by Eagle Dynamics) - given that netcode, lag, warping etc or similar online can always cause issues, but we hope that the general desync issues are finally put to rest now. This should help the PvP crowd immensly to get the F14 going full scale in competitions again. Please be so kind and spread the word to organizers of events you participate in, or whom you know. Thank you!

In that sense I am also happy to say that both TCS slaved to radar no RWR warning and TCS silent shot exploits have been fixed, equally benefitial for PvP and online flying.

You will also be happy to hear that the "crash into the water freeze" has been fixed, as well as a potential CTD related to deploying the speedbrakes.

Furthermore we are also happy to have been able to finally replace the Heatblur AIM-7 copies with the standard DCS AIM-7s, which will now rotate properly after ejection and will not be prone to copy and paste issues anymore that we had in the past. We also fixed anything related to HOJ and lofting, etc. So overall: your F14 fighting capabilities should be restored fully now, and we wish you all great fun in kicking some serious butts!

Lastly, we are happy to introduce a number of engine failures, which should provide some nice mission scenarios and minor ironed out bugs, as well as the new liveries from 59th_Jack and Yae Sakura. Thanks a ton to both!

Again, thank you all who contributed with your excellent input, we could not have done it without this brilliant community!

ENJOY!

The full changelog is as follows:

DCS F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations

• NEW: Added several engine failures for the mission editor:
    • Engine Fire
    • Engine Seizure
    • Engine Turbine Failure
    • Engine Oil Leak (slow, moderate and severe)
    • Engine Compressor Stall
    • Engine POP Stall
    • Engine Supersonic Inlet Buzz
    • Engine HPT Overspeed
    • Engine AFTC PRI Failed
    • Engine AICS Ramp Fail (open, closed and in pos.)
    • Engine Exhaust Nozzle Failure
  • NEW: Added a second readout row to the TID (including target aspect angle) as per updated software tapes in the real F-14.
  • Fixed freeze on slow speed ditching.
  • Fixed rare crash on speed brake extension.
  • Reverted fix for flaps back to their original non-binary control state, following further SME feedback.
  • Fixed AIM-54 missile desync in Multiplayer (fixed by ED).
  • Fixed AIM-54 TCS silent-radar launches.
  • Fix for radar-slaved-to-TCS targets not getting radar warning.
  • Removed Heatblur copy of AIM-7 to use standard DCS AIM-7s.
  • Adjusted all mounting points to fit DCS AIM-7s.
  • AIM-7s will now drop and rotate in the air to the correct flying rotation.
  • Explicitly disable lofting for AIM-7M and AIM-7F.
  • Fixed accidentally disabling HOJ for AIM-7M and AIM-7F.
  • Ignore surface targets in PD.
  • Limit the max cow patty size on VDI to avoid clashing and overlapping at steep dive angles.
  • Update TCS angles locally on pilot side to reduce lag in multicrew.
  • Set mech and elec fuze switches to safe for cold start.
  • Updated Quickstart missions by Reflected.
  • Fixed NTTR Quickstart fuel load for BFM vs F16 mission.
  • Fix missing sidewinder on pylon 8B in predefined loadout: AIM-54A-MK47*2, AIM-7M*1, AIM-9M*2, AIM-9L*2, XT*2
  • Plugged a gap in the rear of the canopy frame when canopy open or jettisoned.
  • Ejection seat safety is now properly animated in exterior view / mirrors.
  • Zipped all livery folders to reduce disk space usage and loading time.
  • Added VF-31 Tomcatters NK101 (2004) livery from 59th_Jack.
  • Added VF-32 Swordsmen AB200 (1976) livery from Yae Sakura.
  • Added VF-33 Starfighters AB201 (1988) livery from Yae Sakura.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

NEW: Added a second readout row to the TID (including target aspect angle) as per updated software tapes in the real F-14.

Not to get homoerotic about this guys, but I could kiss you.

On a different note, you may want to recheck the PD surface contacts ignoring, still get them in PD with MLC filter off.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Golo said:

Not to get homoerotic about this guys, but I could kiss you.

On a different note, you may want to recheck the PD surface contacts ignoring, still get them in PD with MLC filter off.

Yeah but you shouldn't be able to lock them up.

28 minutes ago, Naquaii said:

Yeah but you shouldn't be able to lock them up.

Oh I see, have not tried that.

Edit: @Naquaiinow I have and as you can see... (it is the same mission I used in our other discussion, I dont suppose old mission have something to do with it)1.png

Edited by Golo

27 minutes ago, Golo said:

Oh I see, have not tried that.

Edit: @Naquaiinow I have and as you can see... (it is the same mission I used in our other discussion, I dont suppose old mission have something to do with it)1.png

Thanks! The mission probably doesn't matter, that should not be possible. We'll have to look at that and see if that particular fix somehow was left out or if it's a bug.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, near_blind said:

Not a bug, but more just curious. Anyone happen to know what the LT/RT value on the second TID line is indicating?

It should indicated what aspect the track is presenting to you, LT being left side and RT being right side and then an aspect number indicating what angle from the nose on that side.

So RT 30 would be right 30 meaning your on his 1 o'clock and LT 150 means left 150 meaning his 7 o'clock.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Re.: NEW: Added a second readout row to the TID (including target aspect angle) as per updated software tapes in the real F-14.

Is there documentation somewhere that lists, decodes and explains all TID track data fields?

Something like:
- "AL +/-xxxxx" is track altitude above MSL in feet

- "RA xx.x" is track range/distance from ownship in NM

Asking specifically about what "RT/LT xxx" in the new lower data line left corner stands for and what data that is...

Same for "HD xxx"...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Shadoga

26 minutes ago, Naquaii said:

It should indicated what aspect the track is presenting to you, LT being left side and RT being right side and then an aspect number indicating what angle from the nose on that side.

So RT 30 would be right 30 meaning your on his 1 o'clock and LT 150 means left 150 meaning his 7 o'clock.

As far as I can tell, the TA calculation is not working properly. I've been spending a lot of time since the patch dropped trying to figure out how the calculation is working, but it makes no logical sense unless the axis the calculation is using is wrong. I think the TA is being measured from the abeam rather than the nose of the target aircraft, but I really have no clue how it's being measured. The TA it should present is not what is being given at the moment

Edited by Prez

Heavy Fighter Elitist
AIM-120 Best Missiletm
AWG-9 Gaslighter
Diagnosed with terminal Skill Issue

Happy to say Sparrows now sparrows works ok in all conditions (distance, target ECM, ACM cover) for all version (F, M, MH).

The TID it's a nice and unexepected addition.

Just tested briefly but so far the patch looks great! Tomorrow i will mess around with the failures and i also want to spam some Buffalo on some air-quake server, i wanna see if now that desyncs are ruled out something changes in the reaction of the average players or if they're just fine taking the 54s in their face! 😄

Thanks for all the effort you're putting into this! 🙂

6 minutes ago, Prez said:

As far as I can tell, the TA calculation is not working properly. I've been spending a lot of time since the patch dropped trying to figure out how the calculation is working, but it makes no logical sense unless the axis the calculation is using is wrong. I think the TA is being measured from the abeam rather than the nose of the target aircraft, but I really have no clue how it's being measured. The TA it should present is not what is being given at the moment

Yeah, unfortunately it seems some gremlins have snuck in there, it does indeed not seem to work as it should currently. We'll be investigating that closely and hopefully we'll be able to sneak it into a hotfix.

16 minutes ago, Shadoga said:

Re.: NEW: Added a second readout row to the TID (including target aspect angle) as per updated software tapes in the real F-14.

Is there documentation somewhere that lists, decodes and explains all TID track data fields?

Something like:
- "AL +/-xxxxx" is track altitude above MSL in feet

- "RA xx.x" is track range in NM to first decimal

Asking specifically about what "RT/LT xxx" in the new lower data line left corner stands for and what data that is...

Same for "HD xxx"...

Thanks in advance!

The only really new one is target aspect (RT/LT) which unfortunately seems bugged atm. The others are the same as the older readouts. HD would be heading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Naquaii said:

Hey mate, how are you? Thanks for the patch, the TID double readout is a blessing!

I'm trying to understand how the TA works, though. I didn't have much time to test, just a couple of scenarios. For each of them I calculated the TA empirically with GIMP and using TA = BR → BB and I can't understand how it works. I noticed two things:

1. the value changes instantly when the F-14 manoeuvres. This shouldn't happen.
  2. the sum of the ATA (Relative Bearing) and the displayed value is 180 (or very close, probably due to approximations)

Scenario I:

unknown.png

Scenario II:

unknown.png

Thanks!

EDIT: just seen you reply, @Naquaii . Thanks for confirming that it's bugged atm!

Edited by Karon
  • Like 2
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

4 minutes ago, Karon said:

Hey mate, how are you? Thanks for the patch, the TID double readout is a blessing!

I'm trying to understand how the TA works, though. I didn't have much time to test, just a couple of scenarios. For each of them I calculated the TA empirically with GIMP and using TA = BR → BB and I can't understand how it works. I noticed two things:

1. the value changes instantly when the F-14 manoeuvres. This shouldn't happen.
  2. the sum of the ATA (Relative Bearing) and the displayed value is 180 (or very close, probably due to approximations)

Scenario I:

unknown.png

Scenario II:

unknown.png

Thanks!

EDIT: just seen you reply, @Naquaii . Thanks for confirming that it's bugged atm!

Yeah, np, it should be exactly as the TA you describe very well in your articles!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Naquaii said:

Yeah, unfortunately it seems some gremlins have snuck in there, it does indeed not seem to work as it should currently. We'll be investigating that closely and hopefully we'll be able to sneak it into a hotfix.

The only really new one is target aspect (RT/LT) which unfortunately seems bugged atm. The others are the same as the older readouts. HD would be heading.

Thanks, Naquaii!  But is there a list (akin to what I sketched above) or other documentation somewhere about the older readouts?

5 hours ago, IronMike said:

• Added VF-31 Tomcatters NK101 (2004) livery from 59th_Jack.
  • Added VF-32 Swordsmen AB200 (1976) livery from Yae Sakura.
  • Added VF-33 Starfighters AB201 (1988) livery from Yae Sakura.

VF-33 is available to the A and VF-31 and 33  for the B? Or should they all be available to both A and B?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

18 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

VF-32 and VF-33 are available for the F-14A. This specific VF-31 livery shouldn't be available for either, but you'll find it under the B.

Aha, i'll need to remove some of the custom liveries to make sure they all show up. Thanks! So 2 for A and 1 for B

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

21 hours ago, Shadoga said:

Thanks, Naquaii!  But is there a list (akin to what I sketched above) or other documentation somewhere about the older readouts?

They are described under http://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#computer-address-panel-cap. The key descriptions under numeric keypad corresponds to the readouts. I might later on add a prefix list as well to make it clearer.

Am 11.9.2021 um 00:49 schrieb Naquaii:

"Apart from this there are also TCS-STT modes where you have the radar slaved to the TCS but also lock on in rate or range (PD or P). These behave like normal STT but the angles are tracked using the TCS and not the radar but the range and rate come from the radar. This is useful if the target is hard to track with radar for whatever reason (jamming, clutter).

This is not currently implemented but would be activated by going half-action in radar mode on the TCS and highlighting the correct return on the DDD and the going full action resulting in that kind of STT."

Is it normal that a TCS-STT can no longer lead an Aim-7 and Aim-54, but is only active at launch in the case of the Phoenix? [You meant it is not yet implemented but it was still possible all the time before the update...] [Since F14 Patch 17th Sept 2021]

I'm sorry if I ask so stupid, but I'm unsure what is going on now because it went without problems before and now suddenly no more...