Feedback Thread - F14 Patch 17th Sept 2021

IronMike

6 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

I found out about what was called CTA (Command to active) which is, yes, based on the MSL OPTIONS section with the knob turned to PH ACT, on the DCS forums.  The poster was a former RIO I believe.  I had asked because I had Phoenixes in flight but were not yet active, and I had to trash them to go defensive from an enemy missile, wasting them.  I thought it would be cool if you could command them to active so you can trun away and this poster said that you could in the real Tomcat in this way, but it wasn't set up in HB's yet.

So, ATM, the switch is the RIO equivalent of the pilot flipping up the ACM cover in the front seat?

So basically, when this is done, the Phoenix goes pitbull on the first target it sees?  In the front seat do you have to put the target on the ADL or the gun cross first, or just in the general area?  In the backseat, how would you target the bandit with PH ACT selected?  Get a STT then fire, or just launch in TWS ahead of you with PH ACT selected and rely on the Phoenix finding the first target it sees?

v6,

boNes

With any STT it will simply look at the track and be active off the rail. Again, this is all for the A, the C might have very well had different functionality we dont know about. No reason it shouldn't given pretty much the same WGU as in the AMRAAM.

Edited by Airhunter

1 hour ago, bonesvf103 said:

So basically, when this is done, the Phoenix goes pitbull on the first target it sees?  In the front seat do you have to put the target on the ADL or the gun cross first, or just in the general area?  In the backseat, how would you target the bandit with PH ACT selected?  Get a STT then fire, or just launch in TWS ahead of you with PH ACT selected and rely on the Phoenix finding the first target it sees?

v6,

boNes

Yes. Even without PH ACT, if you have a PAL lock on the target, the missile seems to go after anything nearer ... I've shot down friendlies that I didn't even know were between me and the target 😞

5 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

So, ATM, the switch is the RIO equivalent of the pilot flipping up the ACM cover in the front seat?

v6,

boNes

Not exactly, ACM does other things as well.

If set to PH ACT in STT it will still go for the radar line of sight of the target but if done in TWS it will currently revert to a boresight shot as it is in DCS.

IRL setting PH ACT would mean that it would go active immediately but then still receive commands if in PD STT or TWS as the real missile reverted to SARH updates until own active lock was achieved. This level of control is not currently available or possible in DCS.

• Like 3

On 9/20/2021 at 1:43 AM, Naquaii said:

In the case you don't have the radar slaved to TCS the TCS will never matter for these missiles and all the normal launch types apply as normal.

Is this front seat doable? I mean with Jester as a RIO? Can the  radar be slaved to the TCS? I know the reverse is the default, as the TCS automatically slaves to the STT lock. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

1 hour ago, captain_dalan said:

Is this front seat doable? I mean with Jester as a RIO? Can the  radar be slaved to the TCS? I know the reverse is the default, as the TCS automatically slaves to the STT lock. 

Not currently. And it would present a number of issues to implement as well. My two cents is that this is far down the rabbit hole that I'm fine with it being limited to human RIO only.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

v6,

boNes

PH ACT is kinda similar to the ACM cover but not at the same time. The way with how they implemented it and how DCS works, it goes active after a certain amount of time and goes for the enemy that you fired at. To fire the missile, you can do it in either STT or TWS launch priority.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

57 minutes ago, DSplayer said:

PH ACT is kinda similar to the ACM cover but not at the same time. The way with how they implemented it and how DCS works, it goes active after a certain amount of time and goes for the enemy that you fired at. To fire the missile, you can do it in either STT or TWS launch priority.

so it isnt active off the rail with ph act?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

@DSplayer , @bonesvf103,

ok to get back to this,  I think I found the video / point in it about the option to send an go active command to an inflight phoenix. Unfortunately Ward Carroll doesn't explicitly name the switch, but to me it definitely sounds like there was a way to make a phoenix go active. Though its a bit confusing.

It was in this video in his interview with the two guys from vVF-161 at 1:28:49 onwards.(dont know how to do a direct timestamp in the link, sorry)

He talks about launching fox 3, then the enemy aircraft go into notch , ( making the missile go dumb, I would say he means from loss of radar guidance) and then goes on talking about going active to see if the phoenix is able to aquire the targets on its own . At least to me it seems like he is not talking about a phoenix that was launched active off the rail, because then it would make not sense to make it go active, as it already would've been active from the get-go. 

Like I said, its not proof, but at least to me, it sounds like this sort of functionality was available in some way at some point. But Im no expert on the weapon systems.

Maybe you can have a look at it and share your opinion.

Thanks and regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy
  • Thanks 1

I can't seem to find the forum post where I was told about being able to make the Phoenix active in flight, even in a forum search.  I know I asked it because I was asking people if it was possible since my pilot and I had to trash some Phoenixes after launch and before active so that we could defend against SAMs.

Now in the Ward Carroll video, it seems to have gone from yes it can be done to maybe, depends...My post not being able to be found and the video changed?  Hm, I smell a cover up conspiracy, hahaha!

I will keep looking for that post.

3 hours ago, DSplayer said:

it goes active after a certain amount of time and goes for the enemy that you fired at. To fire the missile, you can do it in either STT or TWS launch priority.

Well, isn't that just the same as firing it at a target via TWS?

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

5 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

Well, isn't that just the same as firing it at a target via TWS?

There isn’t any midcourse updates which results in rather poor ballistics depending on launch angles and there isn’t any need for you to point your radar at the target after shooting.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

image.png

EDIT: the forum ate the quote, neat. This was meant to be a reply to @bonesvf103, who said that the second row looks fine. It still looks bugged to me.

Edited by Karon
Forum ate a quote D:
  • Like 1
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

37 minutes ago, Karon said:

image.png

EDIT: the forum ate the quote, neat. This was meant to be a reply to @bonesvf103, who said that the second row looks fine. It still looks bugged to me.

This has been fixed internally five days ago, but it didn't make it into the openbeta hotfix patch today unfortunately. It seems ED maybe didn't notify any 3rd parties of the hotfix build, judging by lack of patches to other 3rd party modules.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks good on my end:  in this screenshot the bandit is heading 215.  I am heading about 030.  TA is 35L.  If it was still bugged the TA would have said something like 175 or so.

v6,

boNes

Screen_210922_171208.png

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

13 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

Looks good on my end:  in this screenshot the bandit is heading 215.  I am heading about 030.  TA is 35L.  If it was still bugged the TA would have said something like 175 or so.

v6,

boNes

As per Karon Screenshot, it is clearly bugged.

I tested myself too and I got the same impression (sorry no screenshot).

Also no patch notes for the Tomcat so. Thats it.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 1:13 AM, Naquaii said:

Not currently. And it would present a number of issues to implement as well. My two cents is that this is far down the rabbit hole that I'm fine with it being limited to human RIO only.

Roger that

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

46 minutes ago, sLYFa said:

your screenshot showcases the issue. TA should be close to zero since the bandit is headed straight at you. 

It used to say 180 which REALLY showcases the bug.

here it is around 30 left which was about right since the bandit needed to turn about 30 deg left to be nose on to me.

maybe it’s not as exact, but being it used to read 180 or close to it before when he was head on, I’d say that’s an improvement

v6,

boNes

I thought the patch also should have set the Flaps back to an axis. However, in my version it still works as OnOff or Down/Up, no in between settings. Did I misunderstand something?

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

1 hour ago, Dentedend10 said:

I thought the patch also should have set the Flaps back to an axis. However, in my version it still works as OnOff or Down/Up, no in between settings. Did I misunderstand something?

What version do you run?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 9/22/2021 at 12:13 AM, Naquaii said:

you can mod the lua and add it to controls

so does this mean its mad dog straight off the rail? in which case its effectively the same as acm switch??

image.pngs

Edited by eatthis

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

8 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

It used to say 180 which REALLY showcases the bug.

here it is around 30 left which was about right since the bandit needed to turn about 30 deg left to be nose on to me.

maybe it’s not as exact, but being it used to read 180 or close to it before when he was head on, I’d say that’s an improvement

v6,

boNes

Bandit bearing is 030 in your case, reciprocal is 210, if the bandit is headed 215 as you say his TA should be LT5 not LT35, thats a big difference if you are trying to run an intercept. 

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD