Bypass landinggear safety cover

MarcT-NL

Having the landinggear behind a safety-cover just means another binding for the HOTAS. I can understand why this is in real life, but for a simulator one should considder the limitations we have.

Also, the bindings for gear-handle up and -down seem to be mixed up.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

+1 and may I add the same goes for the Flap lever, maybe we could have Flaps up, flaps off, flaps down?

+1 on the flaps, having to assign a precious stick button that latch is annoying.

Flaps should have just "Flaps up" and "flaps down" buttons that move the lever one position in the corresponding direction and ignore the latch.

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

+1

The gear-lever safeties have long annoyed me in other modules. When pressing the "gear" key, I want to make the gear go up/down, not make the gear-lever move.

Those two things are not the same. I think it's an unneccessary level of complexity with no real hands at hand in the sim.

There are good examples for workarounds - e.g. the F-14's Master Arm switch, where two actions (unguard switch, move switch) can be mapped to one single key, so they are done in sequence by pressing the key or HOTAS button.

This would come in handy here as well.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

The flap safety is quite annoying as well, especially with the Warthog flap switch. Moving the switch to neutral doesn't return the flap lever to neutral, so you have to briefly hit flaps up to stop flaps at 15 down. Mess up you're timing and you retract flaps completely.

The thing that bugs me most is that both those switches come back to safety without interaction. But I guess they have a spring IRL that does that. In that case, I'd rather have them as "hold" keys, but also a separate, compact "does all" mapping for the ones who don't like to fiddle around with safety things separately.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Got myself into a big hole, self inflicted as I ran out of time/speed/height while trying to move the safety cover with my mouse...not very safe eh. 

I like the reality...but agree the gear up/down may be best as we don’t have enough buttons to assign.   I’ll go much further out to sea for the landing in future. Brilliant aircraft

Solution here: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/282230-upneutraldown-bindings-for-landing-gear/?tab=comments#elControls_4777152_menu (if you are willing to make a little edit in the "default.lua"). My second post in that thread includes two lines of LUA code.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I've found a kind of solution that doesn't involve lua editing.
BUT it involves making an Arduino-driven switch box...
I just set up an Arduino Leonardo as a controller. It can just turn on and off the "buttons", but it can also run sequences.
So, for the landing gear and flaps, I've set up 3-way switches that trigger the gate, wait 0.5s, then move the lever.
This means each such switch uses 3 "button" outputs from the Leonardo.  That's not really an issue, though, as the library used can operate 128 button outputs.
Likewise, the on/off switches use 2 buttons.

What would be REALLY handy is a setup like Elite Dangerous where you can set on/off controls as toggle or "hold" (only active when the button is). 

Yes. The British cockpit ergonomics can be a pain.

However, from another thread close by ...

8 minutes ago, Terry Dactil said:

Voice Attack is perfect for this sort of problem.

Not widely known, but VA can do things without being spoken to as it can also respond to key or button presses or positions.

I have a Warthog setup and my Voice Attack sees my normal bindings for gear, flaps or whatever and inserts the extra keystrokes to operate the locks.

I also have it set so if I hold the brakes (joystick lever) continuously on for more than 10 seconds it sets the park brake lock for me.

For anyone interested here is the VA profile I use for the Mosquito

Mosquito-Profile.vap 2.25 kB · 0 downloads

6 hours ago, Terry Dactil said:

It's not really all bad if you think about it - it's much better than accidentally lowering the landing gear over your target, instead of opening the bomb-bay doors.

Normally, you'd grab the landing-gear handle and unlock the safety with your thumb as one movement. Kind of like what Steve Hinton does here around 1:20*:

Spoiler

It certainly would make sense combining the two actions into one and bind it onto one key. Devs?

The landing gear isn't that painfull, unless you're doing patterns. Just remember to unsafe the lever at the holding point and when entering downwind.

The flaps are more of an ache if you ask me. That's unless you always extend them all the way in one go.

___

* He lowers the lever first and then raises it while holding down the latch with his thumb.

There is no need to make two different actions out of raising and lowering the gear.

Edited by Bremspropeller

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

I agreee that having a lock on the gear and flaps can be a good idea.

However, what I was moaning about is that the cockpit layout is a dog's breakfast.

You have the gun sight obscuring flight instruments, fuel controls behind the pilot's seat and everything else scattered around in no particular order.

As well as all that, like the Spitfire, you have to change hands on the joystick to operate major controls. Definitely not HOTAS!

Compare this with the FW-190 and the modern jets we have and it is in a different world.

Still - it's lots of fun to fly though.

• Like 1