How to read target aspect on the new double line TID?

DSplayer

I love that you guys were able to get the necessary info on the software tapes with the double line TID but how does one read the target aspect with the info? I understand that the "RT" and "LT" are the data readouts for the aspect but what does the number next to it mean?

unknown.png

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

By the way, for anyone that is stumbling across this thread later on when the target aspect thing does work, here's an explanation by Naquaii about how to use the data readout:

• Like 2

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

Think of it in terms of the bandit’s pilot’s head. A right 40 degree target aspect means that the bandit has to turn his head to the right 40 degrees if he wants to look at you.

When your antenna angle is opposite and equal to the bandits target aspect, i.e. your antenna angle is 40 degrees left and the bandits target aspect is 40 degrees right, then you are on a collision course. 

• Like 2

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Woo Hoo!!  Thanks HEATBLUR for implementing the Target Aspect read out.  I personally had no idea the AWG-9 display that extra line of data.  I have been doing the "Fighter Heading" minus "Bandit Recip(rocal)" to get TA!

THANK YOU!

If yall doing an IPO, I'm in! :D

3 hours ago, Pally said:

Woo Hoo!!  Thanks HEATBLUR for implementing the Target Aspect read out.  I personally had no idea the AWG-9 display that extra line of data.  I have been doing the "Fighter Heading" minus "Bandit Recip(rocal)" to get TA!

THANK YOU!

If yall doing an IPO, I'm in! 😄

/u/PALLY31 is that you buddy? 🙂
FH → BR is the Cut; you are looking for BR → BB.

Then, when Target Aspect = Relative Bearing from the TID (RBRG = Antenna Train Angle or Angle Off) but opposite in sign, you have collision, but only if you are co-speed. Otherwise, you need to compensate because it can be really off depending on other parameters and the scenario (such as low speed and high Cut). I'd guess that using the vector in TID AS, the Collision button (if STT or if you manage the TWS centroid) or the drift (if in PSRCH) is simpler in those cases, cut TA = ATA works too as a starting point or when the Cut is low.

• Like 1
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

/u/PALLY31 is that you buddy? 

Hey, hey Karon! Yup, it's me.  I kept writing this wrong (even I can picture it in my head and go through the procedures a lot throughout the day to keep this simple geometry fresh).  I got to use those terminologies right.

My mistake.  I skipped an important step in writing the above.  To correct myself: It should not be the FH alone.  It should be when at the very moment as the FH is pointing at the bandit; alternatively, It can also be the ATA when it is pointing at the bandit (with the additional step of deducting the ATA degrees from my FH if bandit is found LEFTWARD of my nose, or add to my FH if it is RIGHTWARD of my FH).  The difference of the BR from either FH (@ bandit) or L or R ATA (@ bandit) is the TA at that very moment.

In simpler words, I can either turn sensor-nose on the guy, or save a step (not sure of its repercussion), by using antenna train angle (minus if left, or add if right, to my heading) to triangulate the TA.  My goodness, I really really have to use the proper terminologies from this point.  Thank you for the kind reminder, again!

P.S: How are you liking that TA read out? Is it accurate?

6 hours ago, Pally said:

Hey, hey Karon! Yup, it's me.  I kept writing this wrong (even I can picture it in my head and go through the procedures a lot throughout the day to keep this simple geometry fresh).  I got to use those terminologies right.

My mistake.  I skipped an important step in writing the above.  To correct myself: It should not be the FH alone.  It should be when at the very moment as the FH is pointing at the bandit; alternatively, It can also be the ATA when it is pointing at the bandit (with the additional step of deducting the ATA degrees from my FH if bandit is found LEFTWARD of my nose, or add to my FH if it is RIGHTWARD of my FH).  The difference of the BR from either FH (@ bandit) or L or R ATA (@ bandit) is the TA at that very moment.

In simpler words, I can either turn sensor-nose on the guy, or save a step (not sure of its repercussion), by using antenna train angle (minus if left, or add if right, to my heading) to triangulate the TA.  My goodness, I really really have to use the proper terminologies from this point.  Thank you for the kind reminder, again!

P.S: How are you liking that TA read out? Is it accurate?

Ah sorry, I didn't mean to sound nitpicky, buddy 😄

Yeah, point-and-assess was very helpful in this regard. It simplifies the maths, although now we are getting the fancy readout 🙂

Speaking of which, the TA readout is bugged at the moment, but it has been fixed internally (ref gyro in Feedback Thread). It will be very helpful, we can forget the bloody MagVar and the Maths for once (I guess it uses the True heading of the F-14, along the course of the target, so no MagVar involved - correct me if I'm wrong).

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

On 9/23/2021 at 4:48 AM, Karon said:

Ah sorry, I didn't mean to sound nitpicky, buddy 😄

Yeah, point-and-assess was very helpful in this regard. It simplifies the maths, although now we are getting the fancy readout 🙂

Speaking of which, the TA readout is bugged at the moment, but it has been fixed internally (ref gyro in Feedback Thread). It will be very helpful, we can forget the bloody MagVar and the Maths for once (I guess it uses the True heading of the F-14, along the course of the target, so no MagVar involved - correct me if I'm wrong).

Karon:

I appreciate the correction.  That is how I can improve.  *Point & Assess* is the correct term as stated in the CNATRA-825.  Time, time is all I need.  🙂

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2021 at 10:57 PM, DSplayer said:

I love that you guys were able to get the necessary info on the software tapes with the double line TID but how does one read the target aspect with the info? I understand that the "RT" and "LT" are the data readouts for the aspect but what does the number next to it mean?

unknown.png

RT: 125, seems like it could be the HDG/Bearing the Target is flying, so the old MC?

22 minutes ago, Gibo said:

In changelog version DCS 2.7.7.15038 the problem is reported as fixed is it true? Does anyone tested it?

Will test it tomorrow. Would be nice to not fiddle around with BR and the targets HDG.

We currently trying to get the whole intercept geometry right.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

2 hours ago, Gibo said:

In changelog version DCS 2.7.7.15038 the problem is reported as fixed is it true? Does anyone tested it?

It has been fixed almost a month ago (mid / late October, I don't remember exactly when).

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

11 hours ago, Karon said:

It has been fixed almost a month ago (mid / late October, I don't remember exactly when).

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.7.7.14727/

You are indeed correct. October 20th.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 12:16 PM, Bananabrai said:

RT: 125, seems like it could be the HDG/Bearing the Target is flying, so the old MC?

Will test it tomorrow. Would be nice to not fiddle around with BR and the targets HDG.

We currently trying to get the whole intercept geometry right.

Tested yesterday. The redouts gives out TA angle and it woks fine.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:35 AM, DSplayer said:

Thanks for checking, buddy! 🙂

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"