The updated penetration mechanism seems to only apply to some bombs.

Koren4613

I was interested in the new system, and while testing it, I found that some bombs didn't penetrate.

GBU-12 works fine

GBU-12 works fine.

But when I tested the bunker buster, This didn't work.

Honeycam_2021-09-18_07-41-11.gif

gbu-31

Honeycam_2021-09-18_07-31-44.gif

gbu-24

Of course, a delay fuse was set.

but it didn't work

I haven't tested all bombs, so I don't know how many bombs don't have a penetrating system.

please check the problem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 1:41 PM, heroe said:

The GBU-31 delay fuze work for me in the F-16C but no in the F-18, in the F-18 only work GBU-10 and 12.

I concur. Tested a range of bombs included a GBU-38 with DLY1 fuzing, a GBU-12 with INST fuzing for comparison (note identical effect from the GBU-38, though it should not have been able to damage the MiG), and finally the GBU-31(V)3/B with DLY1 fuzing, again exploding at impact rather than penetrating into the bunker in the F/A-18C.

Track attached.
Expected behaviour would be as in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN7yX-1LmVo (same bomb type dropped from F-16), which correctly penetrates into the bunker before exploding.

PenetrationFa-18track.trk

4 hours ago, Aarnoman said:

I concur. Tested a range of bombs included a GBU-38 with DLY1 fuzing, a GBU-12 with INST fuzing for comparison (note identical effect from the GBU-38, though it should not have been able to damage the MiG), and finally the GBU-31(V)3/B with DLY1 fuzing, again exploding at impact rather than penetrating into the bunker in the F/A-18C.

Track attached.
Expected behaviour would be as in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN7yX-1LmVo (same bomb type dropped from F-16), which correctly penetrates into the bunker before exploding.

PenetrationFa-18track.trk 1.29 MB · 1 download

I did a very quick test using 31(v)4/B. It does seem to have a delay, regardless of efuse setting. The first bomb and the crater was set to DLY1, the second one was INST. The explosion effects and damage looked identical. Perhaps it's just the explosion effect creating a very small delay. The effect in the F16 vid definitely looks better.

Edited by Gripes323

I keep trying and it gives the same result, it is clearly seen that a GBU-31 (v) 4 / B dropped from an F16 on a shelter (tested at the AL-Tabqa airport) the bomb penetrates the shelter and explodes on the floor leaving a crater in it, the same bomb in an F-18 explodes on the roof of the bunker and leaves no crater on the floor confirming that it did not penetrate, all this with the correct fuze settings on both planes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...