Cannons have a 1 seconds delay before firing (actually .25 second delay on first pull)

Bozon
Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

As the title says, I pull the trigger, wait for a full second and only then the cannons start to fire. The 303 machine guns are fine - fire instantly.

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

5 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Same here. Maybe it was actually the case.

I doubt it. Should be the same as the spitfire Hispanos.

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

Considering that the cannons are pneumatically operated, it could very well be a slight delay. It could also be that ED developers programmed it to depend on the pneumatic system, and some glitch causes a small delay. We will wait and see what they say 🙂

• Like 2

Currently flying:

A-10C | P-51D | F-86 | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C |MiG-21Bis | Bf-109K

DCS-Flyable Wishlist Top-10:

F-16 MLU | F-104 | MiG-23 | AH-64 | A-6 | B-17G | F-4 | OV-10 | Lynx | NH-90

The delay in lock-time is very annoying.  
Electro-pneumatic in this case refers to two separate systems to enable the weapon.  The pneumatic-piston is used for charging the weapon, cocking the bolt back.  The electrical-solenoid releases the bolt, to go forward into battery and fire the cartridge.

The heating system is to prevent ice build-up inside the gun, at altitude and/or low temperatures.  The weapons are an open-bolt design and will have airflow going through them to help keep them cool in heavy use, but ice could jam up the travel of the bolt or the bolt locking surfaces.

3 hours ago, Spanueh said:

The pneumatic-piston is used for charging the weapon, cocking the bolt back.  The electrical-solenoid releases the bolt, to go forward into battery and fire the cartridge.

if that's the case then there shouldn't be any perceived delay since the firing pin is controlled by the electrical system.

However the manual isn't super clear about it.

Here it lists #14 as the firing control mechanism controlled by air

image.png

But then also lists the firing mechanism as part of the electrical system as well:

image.png

@NineLine can you possibly provide the clarification to the current 1-second delay for firing cannons?

13 hours ago, Milman-BY said:

Machine guns work as they should work in real life. The reason for this, as mentioned earlier, is the electro-pneumatic control system.

I am speaking out of ignorance of the details of this system in the mosquito, but a pneumatic system that is already under pressure is not supposed to create any significant delay. Some large missiles use pneumatic actuators to control their fins and have no major issues, and this is at command frequencies of 100 Hz or more (time scales under 10 ms). The pressure changes travel through the tubes at the speed of sound for the pressurized gas. Unless there are a few hundred meters of tubes between the firing lever in the cockpit and the guns 1.5 meters below, there should not be any significant delay.

Unless the system is not pressurized and every time I pull the firing lever it starts to build pressure again from atmospheric? That sounds very odd to me.

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

1 hour ago, Milman-BY said:

Please, look at pneumatic system (page 35) in manual. I attached it.

DCS DH Mosquito FB.VI Flight Manual EN.pdf 7.34 MB · 2 downloads

This does not provide the needed information.

Also, I can't find anything on the web on how the pneumatic charging system of the Hispanos worked. I have my guesses, but I don't want to follow guesses.

How is this system different between the Spitfire and the Mosquito?

If I may take a wild guess, perhaps someone applied the delay of the pneumatic braking to the firing of the guns, following the logic that both are operated by pneumatic pressure, so both should have the same delay.

Edited by Bozon
  • Like 1

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

10 hours ago, Bozon said:

If I may take a wild guess, perhaps someone applied the delay of the pneumatic braking to the firing of the guns, following the logic that both are operated by pneumatic pressure, so both should have the same delay.

I don't think so, because the brakes reach full force ridiculously fast compared to Spit for example (when bound to a key, or a button). I've been trying to fiddle with lua files to make them more gradual, without success yet.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

13 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Yes, it would be good to know why a delay has been modelled and why the Spitfire’s Hispanos are different.

I quite agree...we would do well to understand this properly.....there is a fundamental flaw somewhere.....why are the same cannons that are also present on the Spitfire so different to those present on the Mosquito.

If the same cannons did have a momentary lapse of operation then fine....I'm happy with that,if that is the case.....but we then need to see the same momentary lapse of operation applied to the Spitfire,surely.

Either way ED more clarification please.

• Like 3

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

20 hours ago, Basco1 said:

I quite agree...we would do well to understand this properly.....there is a fundamental flaw somewhere.....why are the same cannons that are also present on the Spitfire so different to those present on the Mosquito.

If the same cannons did have a momentary lapse of operation then fine....I'm happy with that,if that is the case.....but we then need to see the same momentary lapse of operation applied to the Spitfire,surely.

Either way ED more clarification please.

We’ll probably end up with the same delay on the Spitfire now 🤨

Maybe the pneumatic triggering on the Mosquito takes longer as all four are split off one manifold.
I don't have the Spitfire's system diagram to compare, but I'd have thought the control lines would be split earlier in the path as the cannon are not all in one place.
Maybe that makes it quicker to respond?