an alternate idea to download updates for slow speed connections

bephanten

i have a very slow connection where i play dcs, however i have access to better connection in my office. i would like an option to download updates or modules to an external drive and install to my dcs computer.

the updater already knows which files are to be downloaded, so it can generate an index file to an external disk. with that index file, updater should be able to download necessary files to any computer. the rest of the work would be to allow the update from an external disk.

3 hours ago, bephanten said:

i have a very slow connection where i play dcs, however i have access to better connection in my office. i would like an option to download updates or modules to an external drive and install to my dcs computer.

the updater already knows which files are to be downloaded, so it can generate an index file to an external disk. with that index file, updater should be able to download necessary files to any computer. the rest of the work would be to allow the update from an external disk.

honestly. i believe you can just take the whole folder in "%programfiles%\eagle dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta" from the office, put  it on a drive, go home and plop it in its place at home. perhaps you would need to do a repair. though i do not think so. people doing reformats of their computers essentially do this all the time. good luck.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

18 hours ago, bephanten said:

thanks. it could be done, but most of the download would be redundant. 

agreed. but i am not aware of what would need to be downloaded vs what is redundant. if there was a list perhaps it could be done. you could always do a comparison of files.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

the update process in the past would require you to download all the files. i think, the file structure was also different then. like when there was a map update, it would download a large portion of map data. the current updater and file structure allows smaller downloads, that patches the relevant part of modules or maps. 

now, you don't have to know which files are to be downloaded. because when the updater runs, it initially downloads delta files that are maybe 6mb large, these contain which files have changed with the update. so the current updater can already determine the necessary files.

allowing the same update from an external disk would provide so much flexibility to update process. thanks