Viper ACM mode - while in Look Down aspect it doesn't lock the enemy

Hotel Tango

Hi, could you please take a look at this:
While in ACM mode, it's extremely hard to lock a bandit if it's bellow the aircraft, sometimes losing track of a bandit simply if he's diving to the ground, while inside the Radar azimuth limits. I've tried HUD scan, Vertical and Boresight, and it only locks him if he's close to the horizon or above you.

How to recreate: 
Any mission where you have to use ACM should do, i'd say go for the Instant Action "High Aspect Basic Fighter Maneuvers" to test different scenarios  quickly.
F-16 ACM look down.trk

HRP | Derby
"Wardog, launch!"

20 minutes ago, Xhonas said:

i have experienced the same problem yesterday, maybe the range loss due to the look down angle is a bit exaggerated? 

Yup. I noticed that, too. Seems a bit off to me, too. Might indeed be related to some exaggerated range loss modelling in a look down situation. Actually, the loss of range one might experience in such a scenario isn´t that big of a factor with modern FCRs in real life. I remember this being a topic in another thread a while ago related to another radar problem in a look down scenario and if I am not totally mistaken I think GGTharos was the one who provided some files to some ED official to back this statement. So, I think there is a good chance ED might already be aware of this and that we might see an improvement of this behavior, soon. Let´s see what BN or 9L say to this...

• Wags locked this topic