High ram usage

Thought i'd make this thread to see if anyone else has noticed the same issues i've had. 

As of 3 months ago when running dcs my ram usage goes to 100%, weird considering i have 32gb, the strange part is that i used to be able to run DCS Normandy in a server with 40 players while in VR and streaming, however now I can barely load in and after about 10 minutes it starts to stutter badly.

I've also noticed very high ram usage just in the desktop without other applications open, about 8gb of ram is being used, first i thought it was to do with my ssd almost being full but upon clearning 50gb the issue still persists.

I've tried disabling notifications too so i'm really not too sure what the issue is now. Any help would be appreciated.

4 minutes ago, zcrazyx said:

Disabling auto paging seemed to of helped, getting 76% ram usage now. will monitor to see how it performs, cheers!

Could you elaborate please?

How/where do I disable auto paging?

Are there any reasons not to do this?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

7 hours ago, zcrazyx said:

Disabling auto paging seemed to of helped, getting 76% ram usage now. will monitor to see how it performs, cheers!

Actually, you may have made it worse.

Pagefiles enable the system to remove infrequently accessed modified pages from physical memory, to let the system use physical memory more efficiently, for more frequently accessed pages.
Some services, products, and even games, may need a pagefile for various reasons, and/or even require it to start and work. 

Also, if you exhaust your RAM, once you've reached its limit, systems freezes and BSODs may ensue - no bueno.

So, unless you have a ridiculous (huge) ammount of RAM not being used (say, total system RAM of 64GB, 128GB, etc), not using a pagefile is therefore a pretty bad idea.

If you really want to minimize pagefile usage to the bare minimum, then I'd suggest using 1GB or maybe 800MB (for both min/max, on one drive only).
But with 32GB RAM in that system, I would definitely use a large pagefile with that same ammount (32GB for max, on one drive only, and always the fastest one).

Another important thing, and one common "mistake" that I've seen with users in DCS World, is with the PRELOAD RADIUS setting, in the game options.

People tend to crank this to the max, and that's a big no-no.
For this, anything above 90000 is utter overkill, and 45000 is actually ideal for most users (personally, I use 50000 and always has been fine).
It does not affect game performance per se, but it affects loading times and, oh yes, it can chew on memory usage (RAM and pagefile), on and on, and on.

So, maybe try different values in PRELOAD RADIUS, starting with 45000.

If you see large memory consumption even out of the game (such as on desktop, not doing anything), then maybe take a look at which programs/services are running in background (in task manager).

For unwanted ones, disable them from starting with Windows (for the next time you boot and after). 

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

20 hours ago, LucShep said:

Actually, you may have made it worse.

Pagefiles enable the system to remove infrequently accessed modified pages from physical memory, to let the system use physical memory more efficiently, for more frequently accessed pages.
Some services, products, and even games, may need a pagefile for various reasons, and/or even require it to start and work. 

Also, if you exhaust your RAM, once you've reached its limit, systems freezes and BSODs may ensue - no bueno.

So, unless you have a ridiculous (huge) ammount of RAM not being used (say, total system RAM of 64GB, 128GB, etc), not using a pagefile is therefore a pretty bad idea.

If you really want to minimize pagefile usage to the bare minimum, then I'd suggest using 1GB or maybe 800MB (for both min/max, on one drive only).
But with 32GB RAM in that system, I would definitely use a large pagefile with that same ammount (32GB for max, on one drive only, and always the fastest one).

Another important thing, and one common "mistake" that I've seen with users in DCS World, is with the PRELOAD RADIUS setting, in the game options.

People tend to crank this to the max, and that's a big no-no.
For this, anything above 90000 is utter overkill, and 45000 is actually ideal for most users (personally, I use 50000 and always has been fine).
It does not affect game performance per se, but it affects loading times and, oh yes, it can chew on memory usage (RAM and pagefile), on and on, and on.

So, maybe try different values in PRELOAD RADIUS, starting with 45000.

If you see large memory consumption even out of the game (such as on desktop, not doing anything), then maybe take a look at which programs/services are running in background (in task manager).

For unwanted ones, disable them from starting with Windows (for the next time you boot and after). 

I've been using less ram but now its crashing out of nowhere after about 15mins so i'll have a fiddle and see what i get, runs a lot smoother though so i think it has somewhat helped. 

Turned the preload radius down which helps initially which is good.

Only issue is that i've disabled as many programs on start up as i can and its still using 5gb ram so need to figure this one out.