Trim Trouble

SQINTO

Flying in VR (Reverb G2) I find that the trim has no effect. I can trim full up/down nose trim with no change. Normal cruise is slightly nose down stick irrespective of trim settings. Similarly rudder and aileron trim don't appear to have any effect either. Indicators move but no change in stick force. Trim controls bound to HOTAS 4 way and slider (rudder).

• ED Team

What stick do you have?

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

i have the same issue no trim despite what controls I map on keyboard or stick.

TM warthog Stick and Throttle HP Reverb.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Weird, I mapped trim to my Trim Hat on the Warthog and it's working fine. I put the rudder trim on the A-10s MFD selector switch.

Where I did notice an issue was when a Human navigator tried to change the trim. He could see the tabs moving and I couldn't - so the trim had no effect.

Reverb G2 here as well.

Can you see the tabs moving on your plane when it doesn't work?

I too have a Warthog and see my up/down trim working okay but left and right I have to basically turn the dial to the 7/8 o'clock position before I see any input having an effect.

Computer Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

Thermaltake 360 AIO Water Cooler

32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz RGB RAM

GeForce RTX 2080 Super [ NVIDIA]

512GB Adata M2 NVME (boot drive)

1TB Adata M2 NVME

1TB WD Blue SSD

Corsair RM850x Power Supply

Phanteks Enthoo Evolve Case

Samsung 43" 4K Smart TV (used as monitor)

TRACK IR 5 + Wireless DelanClip Head Tracker

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

I'm also having problems with trim. I have elevator and rudder trim set on analogue axes, but aileron trim on a hat. Same settings work perfectly on the Spit and ok on the P-47.

Elevator trim seems to be extremely sensitive. Aileron trim on the hat doesn't seem to do anything. And rudder trim I can't seem to figure out, I see the trim indicator change, but I can't say that the trim actually changes from the way the plane fly. 

The elevator trim is just very sensitive compared to the ruder and aileron, so you have to hold them for a longer time to see an effect. Everyone says that the rudder is small and ineffective not sure about the aileron trim tabs. Could be functioning correctly.

And I find that if I trim the rudder indicator to the T in the word trim on the starboard side it works pretty well.

7 hours ago, Mikke_EAF331 said:

I'm also having problems with trim. I have elevator and rudder trim set on analogue axes, but aileron trim on a hat. Same settings work perfectly on the Spit and ok on the P-47.

Elevator trim seems to be extremely sensitive. Aileron trim on the hat doesn't seem to do anything. And rudder trim I can't seem to figure out, I see the trim indicator change, but I can't say that the trim actually changes from the way the plane fly. 

Take a look at this:

Yep, I was having the same problem with the overly sensitive trim.

• Like 1

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

Trim works sweet for me.

Warthog combined.

All inputs cleared, then I set the axis values.

All trim axis set in the Thrustmaster GUI as keyboard inputs.  

Trim seems fine enough to set hands free flight.... for a short period. 🙂

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Think I've solved this, if you have any other controllers attached to your machine (I have a Logitech G29 steering wheel)

In the control options menu for the Mossie click the dropdown box for any other controller you have (apart from your stick & throttle) & select 'clear all categories' even if you have no key binds at all in there, then hit the dropdown again & select 'disabled'.

This seemed to activate my trim controls in the Mossie. 

Even if you have other usb inputs attached & they are already disabled in DCS still follow the steps above, my steering wheel was already 'disabled' in DCS but unchecking 'disabled' then clearing all categories then rechecking 'disabled' again worked.

Not sure about the reason for it but it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

That is interesting @Krill. Also probably means that I'm out of luck for the time being as I have the trim as axes on one joystick, and using another HOTAS for throttle and stick input, as well as rudder pedals separate from the rest.

@RodBorzathanks, but I take it that the solution you linked to is for using button inputs to trim? I am considering giving up on using axes and try with a trim hat instead, but the axes works so good on the Spitfire that I would prefer to keep that solution.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:28 AM, Mikke_EAF331 said:

That is interesting @Krill. Also probably means that I'm out of luck for the time being as I have the trim as axes on one joystick, and using another HOTAS for throttle and stick input, as well as rudder pedals separate from the rest.

@RodBorzathanks, but I take it that the solution you linked to is for using button inputs to trim? I am considering giving up on using axes and try with a trim hat instead, but the axes works so good on the Spitfire that I would prefer to keep that solution.

@Mikke_EAF331the solution shown is for using buttons as trim. But if you use analog axis, it is a way better solution than using buttons. With axis you can fine tune the trim very well.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

On 9/26/2021 at 5:07 AM, RodBorza said:

With axis you can fine tune the trim very well.

Yes, that is normally the case, but on release it didn't work so good for me. After the latest patch the rudder trim started working ok, and maybe if I tune my settings for elevator trim that will also work ok. I'm not sure if they did change anything that specifically has to do with the trim, or if the improvement somehow has to do with the update to negative g effect on the engines, or something else. 

• Like 1