F-5e for a beginner.

darklanov

6 hours ago, bkthunder said:

You should not buy it for the simple fact it has major unresolved bugs since several years. 

Especially this one: 

Have a look at the locked threads in the bug section and make up your mind. 

This issue certainly is not severe enough to warrant a no buy recommendation. I fly the F-5 daily in PvP and this issue isn't even noticeable. 

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess. If I had to drive a car where every time I push the gas pedal to the same amount, I get a different response, I would take it in for repairs. If this isn't a major bug then I don't know what is, short of the plane being downright unusable. I find it a very basic thing that engines should work properly, especially in a plane that is basic and barebones by definition, such as the F-5.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

The F-5 is a great plane for learning good airmanship for reasons that have already been covered.  It is a fun plane to fly, but frustrating to fight for someone new to DCS.

The full-fidelity module I recommend starting out with is the M-2000C.  It has a great HUD, the best autopilot in the game (which allows you to play with the cockpit without hitting the ground), it has an intuitive radar, the systems are fairly simple, and it is fun to fly.  The delta wing will also teach you energy management.  You will bat-turn until you find yourself in a stall, but then the controls are fairly forgiving and you can easily recover (with enough altitude).

Edited by Home Fries
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Home Fries said:

The F-5 is a great plane for learning good airmanship for reasons that have already been covered.  It is a fun plane to fly, but frustrating to fight for someone new to DCS.

The full-fidelity module I recommend starting out with is the M-2000C.  It has a great HUD, the best autopilot in the game (which allows you to play with the cockpit without hitting the ground), it has an intuitive radar, the systems are fairly simple, and it is fun to fly.  The delta wing will also teach you energy management.  You will bat-turn until you find yourself in a stall, but then the controls are fairly forgiving and you can easily recover (with enough altitude).

Yeah, M-2000C is great introduction into 4th gens. And my personal darling, since I love deltas. I guess it is more to study than in F-5, but learning curve is nice and steady.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 11:48 PM, bkthunder said:

You should not buy it for the simple fact it has major unresolved bugs since several years. 

Especially this one: 

Have a look at the locked threads in the bug section and make up your mind. 

I noticed my AB not lighting off once. I did some reading and if I'm not mistaken, found it in the actual manual of the F-5 in the engine limitations section that going mil to max and back again can cause the AB not to fire and may even cause an engine flame out. Also, to avoid going from lower throttle settings to max at higher altitude and high G maneuvers. You should pause a moment at Mil before going Max.

Basically, I'm not convinced it's a bug. If anything, the engine behavior might be a little too lenient. 

7 hours ago, mudfysh said:

I noticed my AB not lighting off once. I did some reading and if I'm not mistaken, found it in the actual manual of the F-5 in the engine limitations section that going mil to max and back again can cause the AB not to fire and may even cause an engine flame out. Also, to avoid going from lower throttle settings to max at higher altitude and high G maneuvers. You should pause a moment at Mil before going Max.

Basically, I'm not convinced it's a bug. If anything, the engine behavior might be a little too lenient. 

I think you completely misunderstood the point, please read the thread again, especially the OP and the post linked below where it clearly shows the problem with nozzle scheduling. It has nothing to do with the afterburner.

Edited by bkthunder

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I have stopped recommending the F-5E.

The module is not being properly maintained and I would love to hear an honest response
from the developers why they can't dedicate a few hours ironing out the bugs and finishing
up some of the systems, like the RWR.

This module came out over 5 YEARS ago. It's sad that it is not in a better shape by now.
And while I heard something about a possible texture update... that is really the least of my problem with this module right now. 

If Eagle Dynamics decide to give this bird some attention again, I will be the first to recommend it.  

Edited by Schmidtfire
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Schmidtfire said:

why they can't dedicate a few hours ironing out the bugs

a few hours? .. I can easily spend more time just editing a mission 🙄

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

a few hours? .. I can easily spend more time just editing a mission 🙄

Well, it might take longer... Some fixes are easy, some are difficult. I don't ask ED to pull every development hour available to deal with this situation.
It would be absurd as they have tons of other things and modules to deal with. But when every year has 12 months and I don't see any
maintenance on this module, I think it's very reasonable to not recommend it until we have a clearer picture what ED's endgame with this module is.

As a fan of the F-5E and Eagle Dynamics products in general, I really hope they come around.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/25/2021 at 10:09 AM, =475FG= Dawger said:

This issue certainly is not severe enough to warrant a no buy recommendation. I fly the F-5 daily in PvP and this issue isn't even noticeable. 

Hey @=475FG= Dawger, can you shoot me a pm with and updated discord link for the 475th.  The link in your sig is invalid.  Thanks

Edited by Reptilerick

The F-5 could be a great module if it got the attention it deserves from the devs. Aside from the above FM bugs, the TACAN is highly unreliable, the RWR is not working correctly and the radar implementation is simplistic at best. So that's your primary navigation system, your primary defensive sensor and your primary offensive sensor - all in need of some serious work. I used to really like and recommend this plane, but in its current state, I have to withdraw that recommendation. If RAZBAM can continue to do good work on their old M2000C module years after it's been released, I don't understand why ED can't do the same for the F-5.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

If you want to start with an older aircraft to learn the basics then the F-86 is a good compromise. The F-5 is a fun module, but as stated, it has some serious problems if you really start digging.

It is nonetheless a useable module in spite of the issues it has, and can be used for air-to-ground and air-to-air quite well. Just don't fly against the F-5 AI as it is massively over-powered (totally unrealistic).

My #2 recommendation is the JF-17. By far the most complete module available, and a massive array of weaponry, including anti-ship.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."