Flap pneumatic sound missing

-0303-
Go to solution Solved by btd,

By turning up max volume I can hear it. I was wrong, it's there, but very low volume. I've never heard it before and wouldn't have known, except for the Hadley video.

Modification have exactly the same (low) volume. Just for the record, how I installed it:

C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\DCS\Sounds\sdef\Aircrafts\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\ValveDrainHissIn.sdef

I wonder if it's depending on microphone placement.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Rechecked, made recordings, compared. It's the same. Ran once and then renamed the added folder ("DCS\Sounds...") to take it out and ran again. You meant SAVED GAMES and not somewhere in the main folder?

Maybe someone else can volunteer to try it? In case I'm missing something.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Without the btd's file, I can't hear anything...

I put the file here

C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Sounds\sdef\Aircrafts\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\ValveDrainHissIn.sdef

it's different from your path
C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\DCS\Sounds\sdef\Aircrafts\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\ValveDrainHissIn.sdef

The sound is audible only in the direction down to up... difficult to know if the volume is too low or not, is the cockpit volume at 100% ?

Maybe increase the gain value in the file according to your own settings ...

gain = 1.5 or 2.0

Thanks to btd for the file 👍

Edited by Tanuki44

Not different Tanuki44. Look closer, identical (copied yours and mine):

Thanks for verifying. Yes, I only hear it going up too. But in Hadley's video, you hear nothing when he flips it down at 8:40, so that checks.

I ensured a pristine kosher SAVED GAMES by renaming old and forcing a new SAVED GAMES. My sounds settings (all default except switches 300%, music 0%):

9ArOXuG.png

I could zip and attach SAVED GAMES if it serves a point. For now, saving 26MB in my account.

Maybe increase the gain value in the file according to your own settings ...

gain = 1.5 or 2.0

???

Unfamiliar with "SDEF" file. Sound definition? 1K is to small for the sound itself?

Ok, here's my recordings. Max volume in game and PC or I wouldn't hear anything. They're the same to me.

Sound Unmodified:

EDIT Sound Modified

Edited by -0303-

• ED Team

@-0303- Tanuki44 is right. You have a wrong directory, maybe some mods or something did it...

There should not be two DCS folders, like you have:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\DCS\Sounds\sdef\

The path should be like that: 
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Sounds\sdef\

First I would advice you to move your DCS.openbeta\DCS folder to DCS.openbeta\

• Thanks 1

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

4 hours ago, btd said:

@-0303- Tanuki44 is right. You have a wrong directory, maybe some mods or something did it...

Mea culpa. Yes, now I hear it. I think this should be included in next Open Beta (maybe even louder). Assuming Hadley's Mk IX is typical sound wise.

I interpreted what you stated

Unzip it to your c:\Users\[USERNAME]\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds folder

as create "\DCS\Sounds" under "SAVED GAMES\DCS.openbeta" and unzip "sdef.zip" into it. I didn't have a "Sounds" folder.

But DCS = DCS.openbeta in my context, I get that now...

:blush:

Edited by -0303-

9 hours ago, Tanuki44 said:

Open the sdef file with a text editor: 

wave = "Effects/Aircrafts/SpitfireLFMkIX/Cockpit/ValveDrainHissIn"
spatial_crosstalk = true
inner_radius = 10
outer_radius = 100
attack = 0.15
release = 0.3
gain = 1.2

The gain can be changed.

Thanks. How far can gain be turned up?

I googled "sdef" and found very little. "Apple protocol" or "project software management" really? Is "sdef" a general multi platform file type or is it DCS specific?

Edited by -0303-

• ED Team
9 minutes ago, Tanuki44 said:

A simple text file with a custom extension just like a cfg or ini.

Probably a DCS specific file, sdef sounddef, I suppose ... 

For the maximum value, only the tests will tell you 🤔 

Exactly. It's a DCS specific text file with the parameters for the sound file.

You can set any positive gain value. It will be limited with a sound master limiter.

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)