Feathering not properly working

WolfhoundCH

6 hours ago, SMH said:

I thought there was an issue too until I realized I didn't have to hold the button down the whole time it's feathering.

Yes. You need to push the button in for a couple of seconder, then it will lock in until the prop reaches the full travel stop and hydraulic pressure rise and trips it off. (like what happens with the gear and flaps).

I have just tested this on the Channel free flight mission, and it feather and comes to a stop even without changing pitch, throttle or fuel - just by pressing the feather button alone.

This is another error in the DCS model, as unless the engine is damaged dead and just windmilling, feathering an operating engine will not stop it rotating until the fuel is shut off.

I still remember some 50 years ago having the DC-3's  THROTTLE - FEATHER - MIXTURE drill hammered into me!

The Mosquito feathering drill does call for the fuel to be cut off,  but its effect is not correctly sequenced.

I've given up on reporting Mosquito bugs as my "excessive  pitch up on landing" report is just tagged as  "missing info" regardless of many other agreeing and when all ED have to do is try to do a wheeler landing themselves to get the data!

Edited by Terry Dactil
fixed som spilling errers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Eteokles said:

I still can't do it properly. Sometimes it feathers, just to automatically unfeather a min later, on low speeds. Often enough it doesn't feather at all.

I'm using keys mapped to prop pitch. Do you have them on an analog axis? If so, maybe it's moving slightly which is undoing their position?

I'll try changing the prop pitch on purpose with it feathered and see if I can reproduce. 

2 hours ago, Terry Dactil said:

Yes. You need to push the button in for a couple of seconder, then it will lock in until the prop reaches the full travel stop and hydraulic pressure rise and trips it off. (like what happens with the gear and flaps).

I have just tested this on the Channel free flight mission, and it feather and comes to a stop even without changing pitch, throttle or fuel - just by pressing the feather button alone.

This is another error in the DCS model, as unless the engine is damaged dead and just windmilling, feathering an operating engine will not stop it rotating until the fuel is shut off.

I still remember some 50 years ago having the DC-3's  THROTTLE - FEATHER - MIXTURE drill hammered into me!

The Mosquito feathering drill does call for the fuel to be cut off,  but its effect is not correctly sequenced.

I've given up on reporting Mosquito bugs as my "excessive  pitch up on landing" report is just tagged as  "missing info" regardless of many other agreeing and when all ED have to do is try to do a wheeler landing themselves to get the data!

Thanks I'll test that too.

14 hours ago, Eteokles said:

I use the friction slider on the Warthog for prop pitch, with buttons that modify which prop I'm changing (or both).

I have done the same, but cannot get it to maintain  a small split when moving both. It works but is not perfect.

True Mosquito enthusiasts should have two independent pitch control levers, particularly if ED ever get around to separating the engine audio frequencies  so there is a beat frequency if they are not synchronized.

With this in mind, I have started a project to have two small pitch levers stuck to the side of my Warthog throttle (right side and forward).

Mozzie pitch levers.JPG

Unfortunately the Covid lockdowns here have caused massive postal delays, so I am still waiting for some of the bits.

(It took over a month to get some 3D printing filament from one side of the city to the other).

I have done the same, but cannot get it to maintain  a small split when moving both. It works but is not perfect.
True Mosquito enthusiasts should have two independent pitch control levers, particularly if ED ever get around to separating the engine audio frequencies  so there is a beat frequency if they are not synchronized.

With this in mind, I have started a project to have two small pitch levers stuck to the side of my Warthog throttle (right side and forward).
397032099_Mozziepitchlevers.JPG.0633fb8997c73821e3f8a079f69799b3.JPG
Unfortunately the Covid lockdowns here have caused massive postal delays, so I am still waiting for some of the bits.
(It took over a month to get some 3D printing filament from one side of the city to the other).
That looks cool. What The you using as sensors?

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, PhoenixRising said:

That looks cool. What The you using as sensors?

I am using linear potentiometers moved by the levers to keep the height down to match the Warthog throttle base.

These analog outputs go to a BU8036 devices for the USB output. That is seriously under-utilizing the device, so I'll probably add a few switches on top just because I can.

Perhaps for the mixture and supercharger because they are in the same area. Not essential though, as I have PointCTRL ant flicking switches in VR is a breeze.

• 1 year later...

Update:

On 10/13/2021 at 3:36 PM, Terry Dactil said:

That is seriously under-utilizing the device, so I'll probably add a few switches on top just because I can.

I had a better idea and added  a manual trim for each axis.

I have to work a bit harder flying the Mosquito now, but it was a bit like cheating to use the hat switch on the stick for a WW2 aircraft that didn't have that luxury!

(A big thanks to Authentikit for their 3D print files that I modified).

Trim 6.jpg

Hi all, sorry I'm reviving another thread here. 

It now does seem that there is an issue with the prop feathering. 

I could get them to feather and unfeather on the ground when the engines are off.

Once in the air I shut down the right engine, brought the throttle back and prop lever (although unsure as to why this is required). And... Nothing, the prop rpm didn't really decrease form its running rpm. 

I'd appreciate it if someone could have a look and confirm if it's just me or if there is an issue with the prop feather now. Apologies I did run a test to save a track but it didn't save. 

Edit:

I'm not mad, just blind. Already see it has been reported. https://forum.dcs.world/topic/311505-unable-to-feather-either-engine-since-28-update/#comment-5084035

Edited by hazzer

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals