Default gun convergence?

Talisman_VR

Dear Dev's

Any information to clarify the default convergence setting you have chosen for the forward guns would be gratefully received; we need this information to set the gunsight convergence me thinks.

Also, I might have missed it, but I have not seen any indication of when historic timed fuses for bombs might be made available.  Is this being worked on?  I only ask because I did not see this issue mentioned in the list of other issues being worked on.

Thanks in anticipation.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

@Talisman_VR  truth to be told, early access FAQ for Mossie does mention fuses being worked on, but as a general, core DCS feature, so I guess it's "they'll be ready when they'll be ready".

Edited by Art-J
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

^ Well, for sniping bombers from beyond their defensive fire range (let's forget about AI gunners skills for a second...) it still might be useful to know what the vertical convergence is.

I tried tu use the good old "Pitagorean" method of shooting at the tallest building near Nalchik apron, measuring triangle sides by map ruler and F11 elevation data, then calculating the third side along the sight line, but the building is just not tall enough and the bullets were hitting above the gunsight pipper (see the pic below).

So unless I can find some taller structure to shoot at on some other map, I can only estimate the convergence is somewhere above about 255 m (or 280 yards) 😉.

Screen_210919_223552.jpg

Edited by Art-J
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

^ Building is more convenient, because by taxiing forward I can continuously observe on a vertical surface where the bullets hit in relation to the pipper and stop at convergence point.  With a baloon, I'd have to guess beforehand where to put it exactly in the mission editor - know the answer before the question was asked, one could say. Too much trial and error attempts for my taste :D. Not a bad idea though!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Is there any convergence? All guns and cannons shoot straight ahead. 

Only bullet drop is needed to take into account I think. 

To make best use of the gunsight it needs to be set to the physical convergence setting for the guns.  Then, when I set the wingspan for the enemy aircraft I am attacking my gunsight display will be married to my physical guns convergence setting.  My thoughts are that the gunsight and it's setting options are there for a reason.  A pilot needs to know his guns convergence settings to make optimum use of them in conjunction with the gunsight.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by Talisman_VR
  • Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png

21 minutes ago, Talisman_VR said:

To make best use of the gunsight it needs to be set to the physical convergence setting for the guns.  Then, when I set the wingspan for the enemy aircraft I am attacking my gunsight display will be married to my physical guns convergence setting.  My thoughts are that the gunsight and it's setting options are there for a reason.  A pilot needs to know his guns convergence settings to make optimum use of them in conjunction with the gunsight.

Happy landings,

Talisman

The gun sights are supposed to be set at the distance to target and size of target,  not the ditance the guns are set at, even tho i know most WW2 dcs players set the distance to the gun convergence and not distance to target.

The point being as the guns are on the fuselage pointing straight ahead,  the convergence has little to say. The bullets go mostly straight and so you can now use the gin sight at it was ment to be used, based on target distance.  You'll most likely have to compensate much for for bullet drop than any convergence.  At least that's what I found when I was sniping at Ju88s from a decent distance. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Hi Folks,

Here below you can see a harmonisation chart which includes the nose guns for the P38, covering horizontal and vertical convergence. 

The Mosquito has 8 forward guns with the .303 guns set at a different level to the cannons.

If the developers provide us with their chosen convergence for the Mosquito guns/cannons then we can properly set the gunsight to optimise the Mosquito weaponry. 

Perhaps NineLine or Bignewy will be able to help provide this information?

Happy landings,

Talisman

5CBB61A3-3BA2-45D8-8724-4BD3909771E4.jpeg

Edited by Talisman_VR
  • Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Thanks Eldur, but I am not talking about wanting to configure guns convergence/harmonisation myself.

I am simply asking what default guns convergence/harmonisation that DCS have chosen to configure and set for us, so that I can set the gunsight in the cockpit to match.  I think that this is a relatively simple request for information that should be made available to customers/pilots.

The pilot needs to know how the crew chief has arranged for the guns to be set up on the aircraft so that he can use his gunsight as per the design function.  (Please see P38 nose guns example below).

5CBB61A3-3BA2-45D8-8724-4BD3909771E4.jpeg

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by Talisman_VR
  • Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png