Freya and Würzburg EWR? Do they work?

gulredrel

Hello,

I just did some testing with German EWR stations Würzburg Riese and Freya.

Please see mission file and track attached.

I was able to contact them by setting them to my Fw-190 A-8 frequency of 40 MHz AM.

From the north there are some B-17 groups incoming in 2000 m and 6000 m well within the detection ring displayed in mission editor or F10 map.

Both stations always respond with "clean" message, so they seem to detect nothing.

Is there something I'm mission here setting them up?

Regards

Jens

Freya_Wuerzburg_Fw-190A8.trk _Freya_wuerzburg_test.miz

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Freya at least used to work, in that it would spin and work as an EWR (IIRC).

The Würzburg-Riese is a gun-laying RADAR, and should work like a fire-control RADAR, using (AFAIK) conical scanning to track targets.

As RADAR fidelity in DCS is not the best, perhaps they're waiting on implementing tracking modes, like conical scanning (which would also apply to the SON-9 for the AZP S-60).

I'm not even sure our current gun-directing RADARs actually do anything besides trigger RWRs.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Are there any news on this topic? - can we already somehow use Freya(?) as EWR?

If not, are there any known workarounds to get e.g. a modern EWR (like 55G6 or 1L13) working for the WW2 aircrafts?

Thanks!  🙂

Edit: Partly solved by setting 55G6 and / or 1L13 to 40MHz and receiving their messages on incoming planes in my Bf-109 now...   Still Freya does not "recognize" any incoming planes for me and calls "Clear"...

Edited by Vettefan