Mosquito VR performance

DirtyMike0330

I initially made a post in The Channel due to atrocious VR performance but, after further testing, this seems to also be an issue with the Mosquito module itself. 

In my first play on The Channel, I was getting 28-33 fps with very high frame times in the Mossie and assumed it was solely an issue with The Channel. 

However, when testing the Mosquito on Marianas and Persian Gulf as well, I was again getting 28-33 fps with GPU and CPU frame times way above 20. 

When I jumped into the Hornet and Tomcat, my performance IMMEDIATELY reverted back to an easily locked 45fps with frame times in the low-mid teens. 

45fps locked with low-mid frame times using high+ settings is my baseline with the system noted in my signature. The fact that switching to and from other modules back to the Mossie immediately changed the performance makes it, IMO, pretty clear that this is a module problem. 

• Thanks 1

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

Just now, Calinho said:

New modules like Mi-24 and mosquito are very demanding, because they are very detailed with high resolution textures.  F-16 and F/A-18 i can get 50% more FPS than mi-24

This makes me very worried about the Apache, which is the module I am most looking forward to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kayos said:

I'm not having any performance issues with it in VR.  Tweak your settings maybe?

My settings are fine with every map and every other module I have. It is like a performance on/off switch when flying the Mosquito vs the Hornet, Tomcat, Huey, A10, etc. So, no, tweaking my settings isn't a valid solution in this case, especially given the system I am throwing at it. A better optimized product would be ideal. 

Edit: With no context as to your pc or headset, you not having any issues isn't helpful. If you are running a Rift S with low-med settings, I'm sure the Mossie runs fine for you. 

Edited by DirtyMike0330

My framerate droped down to ~15 fps when i jumped Into the mossie for the first time today in Normandy. After a reboot i got steady 40-45fps again. Maybe there was some prerendering going in when i started the bird for the first time? As said, at the Moment everything looks fine ( pimax 5k, rtx 3070)

• ED Team
17 minutes ago, scuba82 said:

My framerate droped down to ~15 fps when i jumped Into the mossie for the first time today in Normandy. After a reboot i got steady 40-45fps again. Maybe there was some prerendering going in when i started the bird for the first time? As said, at the Moment everything looks fine ( pimax 5k, rtx 3070)

After a new update, while shaders are building on first load you can have performance, but as you said, it should return after.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

please include a screenshot of your DCS settings and DCS VR settings and steam vr settings, if you are overclocking you maybe taking it to far. 

If you use FPSVR in steam its a good tool for checking performance. 

I am running 

Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming

No overclock

and not having any issue with my G2 50+ on the ground

If you are running high resolution and high PD in DCS it maybe a CPU bottleneck. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

27 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

please include a screenshot of your DCS settings and DCS VR settings and steam vr settings, if you are overclocking you maybe taking it to far. 

If you use FPSVR in steam its a good tool for checking performance. 

I am running 

Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming

No overclock

and not having any issue with my G2 50+ on the ground

If you are running high resolution and high PD in DCS it maybe a CPU bottleneck. 

thanks

I just did the same test again, using FPSVR again and the results are the same: If I am sitting in the Mossie, I am getting 28-33 fps and high 20s frame times. As soon as I switch to any other module, 13-16ms frame times with rock steady 45fps. I switched back and forth several times with the same result. I actually did a recording too, but for some reason the FPSVR overlay was not visible in the video so that didn't work out. 

Either way, if my settings work fine for every other module/map I own, and quickly degrade as soon as I get into the Mosquito, how can it be an issue with anything except the Mosquito??

The overclock on my GPU is very minor/stable and it still wouldn't explain the Mosquito-only issues. 

vr1.jpg

vr2.jpg

settings.jpg

oc.jpg

• ED Team

Im using 60% in steamVR and I dont use motion smoothing, I find it works better for me. 

Just did mossie free flight channel, followed the flight lead for the whole time to do the tour and listen to my magical voice over playing the flight lead 🙂

Average fps 48.8

channel free flight fpsvr.JPG
mossie channel free flight.JPG

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

Im using 60% in steamVR and I dont use motion smoothing, I find it works better for me. 

Just did mossie free flight channel, followed the flight lead for the whole time to do the tour and listen to my magical voice over playing the flight lead 🙂

Average fps 48

Do you find that everything still looks good with 60% SteamVR? I see we have similar systems, so I‘ll give it a try tomorrow, but I’m worried it would start looking not-so-great that low. 

54 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Average fps 48.8

I just did a quick comparison of the Mosquito and Spitfire and there is a huge difference in performance/use of resources.

Below are two screen shots of fpsVR, one for the Spitfire and one for the Mosquito.

All settings are the same, I dropped my usual DCS setting to the VR default just to be consistent

Used Instant Action Takeoff Practice on the Caucasus Map

Both Planes are in the original spawn location on the runway with the engines running

One note I am using both the FSR and SharperEye Mods and if needed I will disable them and rerun the test let me know.

Spitfire: Instant action-Takeoff Practice, Caucasus Map-Original Spawn Point

Spitfire.png

Mosquito: Instant action-Takeoff Practice, Caucasus Map-Original Spawn Point

Mosquito2.png

It appears there is a huge performance hit.  I hope this is helpful, and if you need more info let me know.

Edited by Hartsblade
Formatting and spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

Just did mossie free flight channel, followed the flight lead for the whole time to do the tour and listen to my magical voice over playing the flight lead

Average fps 48.8

1475410464_channelfreeflightfpsvr.thumb.JPG.2bb15e75595f79766998986b019fe231.JPG
1277322406_mossiechannelfreeflight.thumb.JPG.4d0fc3df88047ec0308974f602b87bfa.JPG
Hey,

I just like to know you dcs resolution if you are running 60% on steam vr

I am running 230% in steam and 0.6 in dcs
Because I read it's better for performance to keep it low in dcs.

But if I use 60% in steam and 0.6 in dcs, my reverb g2 is gonne look like rift cv1 I think.

Greets

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CLT-L29 met Tapatalk

I’ve noticed the same performance difference between the Spit and the Mossie, but there must be a lot more polys etc in the Mossie cockpit so it makes sense. 

I’m on a bit of a WW2 trip at the moment and going from the Jets even to the Spitfire on Normandy let alone the channel I have to drop my gfx settings down. The nature of the flying makes performance drops much more noticeable, be it down low in the Mossie or lots of hard turns and fast moving objects flying past. 

I’ve got a G2, 3090, 5900x and 32 gb of RAM. I’ve got SS at 80%, PD 1, 2x msaa, high vis range and clouds set to standard. Am using the VR shader mod and the FSR mod. It doesn’t look as nice as it does without the mods but my GPU frame time stays in the low to mid teens 99% of the time even down low. This will do for now, until ED get DCS running a bit better in VR which I’m sure will happen.

10 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

This makes me very worried about the Apache, which is the module I am most looking forward to. 

Me too 😬 

• ED Team
10 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

Do you find that everything still looks good with 60% SteamVR? I see we have similar systems, so I‘ll give it a try tomorrow, but I’m worried it would start looking not-so-great that low. 

Yes can read everything fine, I have only recently set it to 60% I was using 54% but now have the 3090 so I have increased my settings. 

8 hours ago, _schepper_ said:

Hey,

I just like to know you dcs resolution if you are running 60% on steam vr

I am running 230% in steam and 0.6 in dcs
Because I read it's better for performance to keep it low in dcs.

But if I use 60% in steam and 0.6 in dcs, my reverb g2 is gonne look like rift cv1 I think.

Greets

Im using 1.0 in DCS and setting the steamvr to 60% currently it seems to work well for me.

21 minutes ago, skypickle said:

Somewhere I read that if you set motion reprojection to always on instead of automatic ,that incurs a performance hit. I also read that installing openEXR and setting the switch in ‘developer tools’ tab to ‘use beta’ helps significantly 

I think you read that in reference to Microsoft Flight Simulator - the OpenXR dev tools have no impact on DCS. 

13 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Average fps 48.8

Reducing down to 60% just to scrape FPS in the 40s for the Mosquito is not a solution and, since you are one of the folks who responded to my support ticket about this, I think it is even worse that you would be okay suggesting that for a game that you work on. I would be appalled to have to tell a customer "oh yeah just make the Mosquito look like **** so it works good, who cares if you spent a bunch of money on top of the line hardware". 

To reiterate: My settings work on everything except the Mosquito. That is a Mosquito issue, not a user issue. Reducing settings every time just for one plane is not reasonable. 

And your response on the ticket is also very disappointing. the ED EULA is a joke! If I buy a module and have buyer's remorse, I understand not issuing a refund or a store credit. I certainly have a couple planes just collecting dust because I regretted purchasing them (A-10, Harrier, to name a few). But in this case, you are telling us all that even if the fault is in your module, we are out of luck.

Smart business model though: Lose a customer(s) over a $40 module so they stop spending $100s in the long run as we release new products. ::eyeroll:: 

Edited by BIGNEWY
removed profanity
  • Like 1

• ED Team

I have just replied to your support ticket, please remember the Mosquito is in early access and the team will continue to tweak her during early access. 

Multi core and vulkan are also planned for the future which should help. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

I have just replied to your support ticket, please remember the Mosquito is in early access and the team will continue to tweak her during early access. 

thanks
2 weeks :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CLT-L29 met Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

I think I know why you guys are hesitant to give us time frames for this kind of stuff; things happen, it slips and then people get frustrated.

But I really think at this point it would be more productive to give us a bit more of an insight into how this is going, if not a “release date”. The trend in DCS is clear to see and most of us with VR headsets have bought 30 series cards and still we are having to tinker and mod the game to get it running ok. I said in another thread earlier today that lowering gfx/expectations reaches a point where the sim can become an unpleasant experience. No one wants that, right? Also if you buy a G2 you hope you don’t have to make it look like a Rift S before it’s usable.

Though I know you don’t want to disappoint your customers I’m also sure you don’t want them to give up hope either? 🙂

• Like 3

Dropping settings to get stable VR performance should not be a trend in DCS World, and it certainly looks like it's becoming one. This is completely unacceptable, and very consumer unfriendly. I understand that these are early access models, but why isn't performance at least as important as visual fidelity? We are certainly living in an age where for some reason chip scarcity and demand is driving prices up across the board, and buying prohibitively expensive hardware to fix unoptimized software should not be the answer. (Not to mention the fact that for the most part we already have the best hardware that money can buy)

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.