Rotor TCS Plus Damper Mod

heloguy

Just added this to my Rotor TCS Plus.  So far, I like it.

Virpil Collective Damper2.JPG

• Like 5

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Nice idea and implementation, would like to know more about the upper mounting bracket if you are willing to share. Good job!

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

35 minutes ago, Outlaw24 said:

Nice idea and implementation, would like to know more about the upper mounting bracket if you are willing to share. Good job!

Thanks, sure thing!  It's a split-ring hangar from the plumbing section of Lowe's.  I've had it awhile, as I used it on a previous collective before I got the Virpil.  I can't remember the exact size, or brand.

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

1 hour ago, heloguy said:

Thanks, sure thing!  It's a split-ring hangar from the plumbing section of Lowe's.  I've had it awhile, as I used it on a previous collective before I got the Virpil.  I can't remember the exact size, or brand.

Thanks!

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

19 hours ago, heloguy said:

Just added this to my Rotor TCS Plus.  So far, I like it.

Virpil Collective Damper2.JPG

Interesting mod :thumbup:

Although really sad this is "needed" on a €600,- product.

I had to adjust/increase the tension screws once more last weekend (3,5 week and ~20 hours in use)

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I agree with @sirrah that it issad that it is needed on  €289.95 ($340) product (Cost of base alone.  BUT you need a grip to fly it so,  €600, is fair.

Need can be judgmental, but from my 20+ hours of use, I think it could certainly "improve" the collective feel.  I have been wondering if I could modify my MFG Crosswind Damper to fit the TCS Base Plus.

Any details on the shock  and both upper and lower mount would be GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT to follow this thread

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

18 hours ago, AKA_Clutter said:

I agree with @sirrah that it issad that it is needed on  €289.95 ($340) product (Cost of base alone.  BUT you need a grip to fly it so,  €600, is fair.

Need can be judgmental, but from my 20+ hours of use, I think it could certainly "improve" the collective feel.  I have been wondering if I could modify my MFG Crosswind Damper to fit the TCS Base Plus.

Any details on the shock  and both upper and lower mount would be GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT to follow this thread

I can't remember exactly which type this is, as I purchased it more than 5 years ago for my Baur F series pedals.  The one below looks similar, and would probably work fine:

Amazon.com: Krace CNC Motorcycle Steering Damper Stabilizer Linear Fit Yamaha YZF R1/R3/R6/R15/R125/R25 FZ1 FZ8 FZ09 MT09 GSXR 600 750 1000 GSX1300R CBR600RR 1000RR CB400 CB1000 ZX6R ZX14R : Automotive

As far as the mount, it's just a pipe hangar clamp from the hardware store, and some flat washers for stand off from my Monstertech setup.

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

19 minutes ago, heloguy said:

I can't remember exactly which type this is, as I purchased it more than 5 years ago for my Baur F series pedals.  The one below looks similar, and would probably work fine:

Amazon.com: Krace CNC Motorcycle Steering Damper Stabilizer Linear Fit Yamaha YZF R1/R3/R6/R15/R125/R25 FZ1 FZ8 FZ09 MT09 GSXR 600 750 1000 GSX1300R CBR600RR 1000RR CB400 CB1000 ZX6R ZX14R : Automotive

As far as the mount, it's just a pipe hangar clamp from the hardware store, and some flat washers for stand off from my Monstertech setup.

*shakes head* :doh:

You should have gone for the pink one! 😃

image.png

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Thanks

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

11 hours ago, sirrah said:

*shakes head* :doh:

You should have gone for the pink one! 😃

image.png

You right.

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Apar said:

This is nice.. Is it easy to adjust the strength of dampening?

With that damper in particular, yes.   The dial on the side gives a good range, and turns easily.

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

On 10/2/2021 at 1:08 AM, heloguy said:

With that damper in particular, yes.   The dial on the side gives a good range, and turns easily.

I just got one after seeing one in a bikeshop.. it seems rather stiff need a lot of strength but I havent installed it yet. Still waiting for the pipe clamp and other stuff..

3 hours ago, Apar said:

I just got one after seeing one in a bikeshop.. it seems rather stiff need a lot of strength but I havent installed it yet. Still waiting for the pipe clamp and other stuff..

I think it won't seem so bad once you have it connected to the collective.  You have a much longer lever arm to apply to the force.

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

• 3 months later...

Hello thanks a lot for the idea - can you show a little how you mounted the damper for the stand off - I know you said you used some flat washers but I have no Idea what to do with them ... A picture from side would be great  - or does anybody else can share his mount construction - Thanks in Advance