[DCS ISSUE] No RWR of F-14 AI Aim 54C incoming

Skunk_McFunk

Bug: In a F14 v F14 scenario when you are launched on at no time even when the missile should be pitbull do you get a RWR missile launch warning, previously Jester was able to warn you when the incoming missile had left the rail which I feel is 50 / 50 on being a bug, I understand it is possible to detect the missile launch on the DDD for a second or so before it is too fast for the radar to pick up but now Jester can only warn you when the missile is presumably pitbull but still no RWR warning for a human RIO

Can I reproduce it 100%: yes

How to reproduce/ description:

Step1: Have the AI engage you with a AIM54

Step2: Wait for the missile to hit

Result: You have no to little warning of a missile launch, only Jester can tell you that an AIM54 is coming around the time it should be pitbull (10 seconds before impact)

DCS Version: OpenBeta 2.7.6.12852

System Specs:

CPU intel i5-3570K

GPU RTX 2070 super, 8GB RAM(*)

24GB RAM

Samsung EVO 860

Peripherals:

Joystick: X52

Throttle: X52

Pedals: N/A

Headtracker: TrackIR

Mission File: see attachment (or name existing HB mission)

Log: please attach if you have.

Track: the biggest help, and although broken, please attach, especially ofc if not broken. tracks help us most together with the mission file.

Video/ Screenshots: see link, attached scrnshot etc.

Mods: I do not use any mods.

Tacview-20210922-090700-DCS.zip.acmi

Edited by IronMike

This is actually all AI AIM-54s against human F-14s. On other aircraft you would get a launch warning but not an RWR active missile warning. Overall pretty strange imo since the missiles don't loft either.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

There is actually an important difference between “little” and “no warning”.

Any Fox 3 shot in TWS will not go “Pitbull” (active) until it is at a pre-determined range, so its normal to not have an active missile warning until that moment. And that depends on your aspect of the missile (if you’re going head-on at Mach 2 with your hair on fire you will probably just get a one-second impact advisory; cranking/notching turns the missile active a lot earlier!).

So to sum it up, it’s normal…

Edited by EagleA25

36 minutes ago, EagleA25 said:

There is actually an important difference between “little” and “no warning”.

Any Fox 3 shot in TWS will not go “Pitbull” (active) until it is at a pre-determined range, so its normal to not have an active missile warning until that moment. And that depends on your aspect of the missile (if you’re going head-on at Mach 2 with your hair on fire you will probably just get a one-second impact advisory; cranking/notching turns the missile active a lot earlier!).

So to sum it up, it’s normal…

Actually, you get absolutely no RWR warning of an active/pitbull warning against AI AIM-54s which is incorrect. Normal human piloted AIM-54s have pitbull warnings.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

Count R-33's in there too

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

This is unfortunately not something we can fix, but we are planning on working together with ED to overhaul the F-14 AI towards the end of the year, and this issue will definitely make the list. Thank you for reporting it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• IronMike changed the title to [DCS ISSUE] No RWR of F-14 AI Aim 54C incoming
On 10/1/2021 at 8:02 PM, IronMike said:

This is unfortunately not something we can fix, but we are planning on working together with ED to overhaul the F-14 AI towards the end of the year, and this issue will definitely make the list...

Great news. Their use as AI in missions is hurt right now. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 10/2/2021 at 9:08 PM, captain_dalan said:

Great news. Their use as AI in missions is hurt right now. 

I find the AI F-14 can be worked around quite easily.

It always seems to go absurdly fast, Mach 1.5 and above, but doesn't fire until 35nm or so. I've successfully splashed an AI F-14 at 70nm, because they go so fast

On 10/4/2021 at 2:45 PM, Panny said:

I find the AI F-14 can be worked around quite easily.

It always seems to go absurdly fast, Mach 1.5 and above, but doesn't fire until 35nm or so. I've successfully splashed an AI F-14 at 70nm, because they go so fast

The major issue is that they are unwilling to engage. When acting as wingmen, they will engage if ordered as soon as entering effective range (usually about 70-80 nautical miles), however, if a flight is composed of AI's only, they just fly and idle intercept. They will defend when fired upon, but will not fire themselves. As you mentioned this happens only about 30 miles in (for medium-high altitudes) or even closer (for medium-low altitudes). Thus they are essentially useless as CAP aircraft as they get shot down by everything you throw at them, even if that other thing is another AI that has no grudges about engaging at much higher ranges. 

• 2 months later...