RWR audio mod poll

Clean Lock tone vs. Distorted Lock tone (from dropped data)  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which tone do you prefer?

• Clean lock tone with no 'dropped data' (mimics completely analog system with high sensitivity)
    • Distorted lock tone (digital RWR that drops data from time to time; ie mimics Pulse Descriptor Words)

Looking to get feed back on some RWR audio I'm building. 

After cross checking my audio with youtube videos, I've found that some modern RWRs (in particular the F-16s RWR) can distort the tone of the emitter. This is probably due to the digital nature of this RWR, and its use of PDWs. I believe the RWR is dropping pulses or bursts of pulses due to either a weak signal or finite dynamic range causing the emitter to sound distorted.

In any case I'd like to know if the community is interested in distorted tones or clean tones. 

Below is an example of my F-15 search tone, lock tone, and distorted lock tone.

Note: All airborne tones im building are based off of generic (but unique) PRIs in the MPRF range (10khz - 50khz) since HPRF tones would be above our ears capacity to hear. You may be thinking, 'well 20k-50k is also above our ears perception'. This is true, however the complex string of square pulses generate beat frequencies within our range of hearing, albeit at a lower volume. HPRFs use extremely high tones around 300khz, and dont have the same pulse complexity.

For best effect, download the audio and loop play it. You may need to turn the volume up.

^F-15 Search

^F-15 Lock

^F-15 Lock (distorted)

Edited by Beamscanner
file corrupted
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

No, I've had a busy few months. But I will have some free time early next year to work on the distorted audio. (I think the distorted sounds better too) Its just a lot of work to do it manually, as I dont know enough about audacity to apply the distortion automatically or via a pre-built effect. 

My interest is to get these to work in the Viper when they enable RWR handoff audio.. This is assuming they use pre-saved audio files that I can swap these out with.

Here is my F-16 lock vs F-16 lock (with distortion).

• 9 months later...

A little update. I've completed the majority of the Air radars. Though I don't know if there's any I'm missing. 

Below are some examples:

This is an active missile tone (goes from MPRF search, to MPRF lock, to HPRF lock). I made it long enough for it to last longer than any reasonable terminal phase. (ie you shouldnt hear it loop) 

F/A-18C search

F/A-18C Lock

SU-27 Search

SU-27 Lock

F-15 Search 

F-15 Lock

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this! Will you still do the clean versions? I know most preferred the distorted ones, but of course I have to be different. 😀

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.