Inclinometer needle moves strangely ?

Anatoli-Kagari9

In my test flights and on most youtubes we can observe that he inclinometer needles appears to move out of sync with the true conditions, as if it was in a rather dense medium...

It's slow responding to turns and it actually looks like not correctly synced with the "physics" of those turns...

Apparently the turn coordinator needle works acceptably though...

Very evident on this video, if you monitor the inclinometer:

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• 2 weeks later...

@NineLine,

the video above is a good demosntration of the effect.

Just monitor the inclinometer ( lower ) needle on the turn coordinator, and it's rather peculiar bounce from left to right to left to.... due probably to an overdone sensitivity to the forces that affect it IRL (?) and certainly not observable on the Spitfire...

Edited by jcomm

Wait... so you mean the LOWER needle?
I thought inclinometer meant the slip ball or whatever that shows slip. For example:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/inclinometer.html

...which seems to be the UPPER needle in the Mossie, while the lower one is the turn indicator. What am I missing? Me English be bad, so I might have been terribly mistaken.

I find the lower needle very nervous around the center, very sensitive (but it may be correct as-is, IDK), the other thing I've noticed (and find it surprising) is that it keeps jumping when you shut the Mossie down after the flight. No idea why. IIRC the Jug does the same, I mean its "turn indicator" (or however it is really called, I'm not sure any longer).

Is that because the gyro is spooling down and tosses the needle all over the place? Or something of that sort? How long should it take before it settles ("dies")? Can anybody shed some light on that?

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

@scoobie, yes, exactly as you describe. The lower needle:

http://spitfirespares.co.uk/Instruments Turn and Slip and Artificial horizon page 15.html

Couldn't find any footage of the original Mossie inflight with cockpit perspective and the ones still flying already use a "modern" turn coordinator, but on the bellow linked footage of a DH 84, the turn coordinator is clearly seen, and it's turn needle doesn't behave anywhere near the one in the DCS Mosquito 😕

Edited by jcomm

On 10/6/2021 at 6:18 PM, jcomm said:

Couldn't find any footage of the original Mossie inflight with cockpit perspective and the ones still flying already use a "modern" turn coordinator, but on the bellow linked footage of a DH 84...

Tell where the instrument is and what time stamps to look at. 28 min is a long time. Very quick skim. Only in the first 10 min do we see the panel.

The instrument at the very top of panel. At 3:42 there's a 90 degree turn onto rwy and lower needle doesn't move at all. Make me wonder if it's even connected. Is it vacuum driven and not working with idling engines?

At 4:43 after takeoff he turns right and at 5:05 he turns left. Both times one can see the (lower) needle barely move (correctly). What does  that mean, if anything? Is needle scaling in DH Rapide vs Mosquito different? To many questions to say anything about the Rapide instrument vs the Mossie instrument.

On the upside, the artificial horizon, while messed up deep into the takeoff, very quickly self erects after during takeoff run and shows correctly while making turns (4:43, 5:05).

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

The bottom needle is a turn rate indicator. It seems to work correctly (not sure about the scale, but it centers when you're not turning and moves towards the direction you are, when you are.)

The top needle seems to work correctly too (again, can't speak to the scale, but it definitely goes the correct direction). I can't understand how anyone ever thought that instrument would be better than a ball in a curved tube though. 😉

Yep, I made the initial post because I found that the lower needle, that indicates the direction and somehow rate of turn in that direction, appears to move somehow strangely from side to side even when I was not turning significatively in the indicated direction, but, after watching that last Spitfire cockpit video I begin to think probably it's in need of just a bit of fine tunning by the devs...

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1