Allocated and deducted gpu vram

Eaglewings

I watched the video above recently and I am prompted to seek more clarification from fellows who know better here.

The video clearly shows that the vram memory size readout in msi afterburner is not what is actually used in-game.

I tried this in my msi afterburner settings and my dedicated vram was not getting to half my vram size in vr. Low res 0+ and 6g vram gpu.

I hear gpus with 10g and bigger vram filling up in vr and I am like, what really is enough size for vram?

Could this vram usage debunk video really have any relevance in explaining allocated and actual used vram?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I think that these types of videos, while informative actually improve our understanding of the various tech and how it works behind the scenes only marginally. The answer is, as it invariably always is with these types of questions:

It depends. And a lot of it depends on what software\games you run and how you run it on your GFX card. 

We have no idea how DCS World allocates VRAM and how much of the memory is pre-allocated, changed on the fly, emptied and filled up etc. What we can definitively say is that with increased resolutions, more VRAM is definitely better. In VR, not only are you pushing double the pixels of a typical scene, you are rendering two different viewpoints and here VRAM is definitely going to be an important consideration but definitively not the only one. 

In short. No it's not just about VRAM, it's the whole package. If you are asking whether your GTX1060 is enough to run DCS World in VR then I would say, yes you probably could run it at Rift S resolutions (and no upscaling) but only barely. It would not be a satisfying experience. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I didn’t know msi/af had a vram section. 
I usually see 13-15 vram usage in DCS. This is why I opted for a 3090 for running VR/G2 it’s an absolute must imho.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

5 hours ago, Burt said:

I didn’t know msi/af had a vram section. 
I usually see 13-15 vram usage in DCS. This is why I opted for a 3090 for running VR/G2 it’s an absolute must imho.

It is not an absolute must.

Telling people to spend upwards of $2000 on a GPU because DCS demands it is ridiculous.

It will run fine on a 3080 with 10GB of VRAM on a G2. And I would know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxTwo said:

Telling people to spend upwards of $2000 on a GPU because DCS demands it is ridiculous.

As an owner of a G2, EVGA 3080 FTW3, and a 8600K, I would tend to agree with this.  However, everything is subjective.  I'm OK with 45 fps, medium settings and ghosting.  Not sure if the ghosting has a lot to do with VRAM or not, but that is the most difficult part for me.

VR is not for the faint of heart IMHPO.  It does require a lot of tweaking and some sacrifices.

Would I spend ~$2000 USD to increase my VRAM to try and reduce this.  No, not worth it in my opinion.  I started VR with an Oculus Rift CV1, GTX 1080, i72600K and have been VRing since.

Edited by AKA_Clutter

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

I think that these types of videos, while informative actually improve our understanding of the various tech and how it works behind the scenes only marginally. The answer is, as it invariably always is with these types of questions:

It depends. And a lot of it depends on what software\games you run and how you run it on your GFX card. 

We have no idea how DCS World allocates VRAM and how much of the memory is pre-allocated, changed on the fly, emptied and filled up etc. What we can definitively say is that with increased resolutions, more VRAM is definitely better. In VR, not only are you pushing double the pixels of a typical scene, you are rendering two different viewpoints and here VRAM is definitely going to be an important consideration but definitively not the only one. 

In short. No it's not just about VRAM, it's the whole package. If you are asking whether your GTX1060 is enough to run DCS World in VR then I would say, yes you probably could run it at Rift S resolutions (and no upscaling) but only barely. It would not be a satisfying experience. 
Yes, it is quite a complex issue how dcs works in background.
My gtx 1060 6g is been doing just fine with Samsung odyssey plus for more than two years now on a medium to low settings.
An upgrade is needed now and the 3060ti is in my radar as an upgrade.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

i run dcs in 4k resolution with high settings.

my 3080 rig runs fine with above 70 fps on average, not accurately measured.

i have problem running the same settings on my other rig that has a 3070, it's almost only half the fps comparing to 3080.

i tried different settings in dcs trying to lower the system memory usage and the video memory usage, from 18GB and 9GB to whatever i can get a better fps.

but it didn't work that way, dcs seems to be don't bother with the memory usage by changing the settings, at all.

now i'm considering buying another 3080 for a smooth 4k high dcs experience.

RTX 3070

16 hours ago, FoxTwo said:

Sorry to dodge your FoxTwo but I wasn’t telling people to spend $$$ on a 3090. I said I opted for a system with a 3090 because I demand it not DCS. I’m sure the 3080 and G2 combo works well. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020