+25lbs boost?

zcrazyx

1 hour ago, zcrazyx said:

Noticed in the manual that there is a 5 min limitation of 25lbs of boost, Is there even a way of getting that high of a boost? i cant seem to figure it out as there is no mention other then in the limitations table about it.

+25 boost was only used with 150 octane fuel. With 130 octane the max allowed was +18 boost.

That +25 boost must have been a hellovalotof POWA!

Edited by Bozon

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

• 1 year later...
On 9/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, grafspee said:

25lbs in mossie oh that would be crazy. I may wrong but i think merlin at 25lbs has +2000 hp. That woulbe +4000hp crazy

interestingly it is still referenced in the manual, makes me wonder how fast a bomber mossie with 25lbs boost would be 

@zcrazyx 25lbs boost, for US plane it would be 80 InHg that is hell of the boost, mosquito would be fast, probably as fast as Dora or K-4 🙂

Just imagine the bomber which even Dora or K-4 could not catch up 😛

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

8 hours ago, grafspee said:

@zcrazyx 25lbs boost, for US plane it would be 80 InHg that is hell of the boost, mosquito would be fast, probably as fast as Dora or K-4 🙂

Just imagine the bomber which even Dora or K-4 could not catch up 😛

I'd love the B mk 9 mossie, apparently can do 350mph cruise at 30k ft. wonder what the range is. personally i'd love to proper nav and bombing runs with one using graphs and a nav computer.

I don’t know if bomber mossies ever used 150 oct. Short-time top speed is not as important for bombers who rely more on a long duration high cruise speed not to be intercepted.

The ones who really needed the short top speed were the night fighters and day rangers/intruders. Night fighters experimented with NO2 to boost power during a chase. 150 octane was prioritized for FB.VI day rangers/intruders that really needed to outrun enemy fighters on the deck. 2 Merlins running at +25 must have been glorious excess of power!

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

2 hours ago, Bozon said:

I don’t know if bomber mossies ever used 150 oct. Short-time top speed is not as important for bombers who rely more on a long duration high cruise speed not to be intercepted.

The ones who really needed the short top speed were the night fighters and day rangers/intruders. Night fighters experimented with NO2 to boost power during a chase. 150 octane was prioritized for FB.VI day rangers/intruders that really needed to outrun enemy fighters on the deck. 2 Merlins running at +25 must have been glorious excess of power!

150 would be great for the day fighters we currently have especially considering the performance of the 109 running mw50, shame it seems like a pipe dream that we will never have, the mustang and spitfire had some great gains on 150 octane

16 hours ago, zcrazyx said:

150 would be great for the day fighters we currently have especially considering the performance of the 109 running mw50, shame it seems like a pipe dream that we will never have, the mustang and spitfire had some great gains on 150 octane

Actually P-51 has lower gains from 150 then spitfire, because afaik only 72" MAP was allowed for P-51

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

21 hours ago, zcrazyx said:

Correcting the performance of the current flight model to match the short stub exhausts without shrouds that we see in the 3D model will be a good start. Our mosquito is about 15 mph too slow and match the performance for configuration with saxophone exhausts covered by flame shrouds.

• Like 1

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

• 3 weeks later...

Following on from what has been said it seems that british aircraft predominantly saw the biggest gains as well as the p47 by using 150 octane. According to ww2 performance website the spitfire was more then 30mph faster on the deck and had +1000ft/min rate of climb, defo a hell of a kick, the mosquito was also tested and approved of which the website still has the graphs 

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mosquito/mosquito.html