North West Field - why "closed"?

Minsky

I'm very happy that ED decided to make the North West Field landable!

Can we take the final step, and make it actually useable (i.e. not closed)?

It's pretty clear that the northern runway has been modelled based on the 2020 (or later) satellite imagery, and by that time it was already operational, and used during multiple exercises in the following years.

Sure, it's not a full-fledged airfield in real life (no ICAO code, no tower, and so on), but it can certainly serve as a FARP (with warehouses/resources etc).  And since the airfield houses the sole air defence system on the whole Marianas, it definitely has strategic value.

• Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

I think it is totally fair that it is marked as closed. It has no aircraft based. It's marked as closed on the FAA sectional. It's just as closed as Orote Field or Nicosia Intl on Syria. The runway is usable and is being used, yes. And if you really want to set up a FARP like they do at Cope North, nothing stops you from using an invisible FARP. The only thing really missing imho is the small ramp on the northern side. It's not usable as of right now.

• Like 1

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord

If ED expands the radius of the invisible FARP (or even better, make it customiseable), then you'll be able to add player aircraft at least to it, and use it like a normal airfield.

AI is a problem though seeing as we can't show them the way as it were for them (though it would be great if we could).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

13 hours ago, Nealius said:

More importantly the runway surface needs to be fixed. It’s rough and filled with potholes. Flipped my Harrier on taxi because of it. 

Didn't they do that? The northernmost runway is now properly paved.

Unfortunately, DCS treats the taxiways and parking areas such as being grass or something, despite the fact they are hard surfaces, in some aircraft it's impossible to move on them unless very light.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

6 hours ago, Nealius said:

I'll have to give it a shot again then. I hope they also flattened out that erroneous hump at Tinian North Field. 

They didn't :sad:

And Tinian international still has wildly undulating terrain immediately to its north.

Edited by Northstar98

System: