Loss of Right Rudder Authority at High Altitudes

I've experience loss of right rudder authority on several occasions whenever i crest the peak of a mountain at several thousands of feet above sea level. The Mi-8 will slowly spin to the left for 30 - 45 seconds even though I have applied full right rudder pedal to counter act the spin.  Is the loss of rudder authority at altitudes the result of an updraft at the peak of a mountain ridge or something else?

what power setting on the EPR are you using for the climb?

at cruise power the rotor RPM will be automatically maintained up to 2000-2500m. above this the rotor RPM will start to droop. which will effect your torque authority.

you need to reduce collective to maintain rotor RPM at 92-94%.

if you are climbing at maximum cruise power then the rotor RPM will only be automatically maintained up to 1000-1500m

at take off power the RPM will not be maintained at all and you will need to adjust the collective to stay in the 92-94% Range.

so when it happens see where your rotor RPM is at. and reduce collective to bring back the rotor RPM and full torque authority.

it all depends on your aircraft weight and outside conditions.

the best speed to climb at is 110-120KPH. this is the speed which requires the least collective to maintain so you have more power for the climb.

and start the climb using maximum cruise power setting. and reduce when it starts to droop. give up climb rate to maintain the speed of 120kph.

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 12:31 PM, Zeagle said:

What you describe is loss of tail rotor effectiveness. This is a real problem in mountain flying. Quadg's advice is the solution.

No - LTE is not simulated in DCS helicopters as of now. 

The developers stated the calculations involved are very complex and they are still looking for a way to implement it, the hind may feature it in some form.

Edited by Snappy

5 hours ago, Snappy said:

No - LTE is not simulated in DCS helicopters as of now. 

The developers stated the calculations involved are very complex and they are still looking for a way to implement it, the hind may feature it in some form.

If something causes your tail rotor to not be "effective", then it most certainly is LTE.  I read through the whole LTA / LTE thing here on the forum. 

That was like watching people arguing over what kind of dog pooped the poop they just stepped in.

2 hours ago, Zeagle said:

If something causes your tail rotor to not be "effective", then it most certainly is LTE.  I read through the whole LTA / LTE thing here on the forum. 

That was like watching people arguing over what kind of dog pooped the poop they just stepped in.

Sure, if you want to take such a simplistic view, feel free to do that. It’s not factually  wrong .

Doesn‘t help though in a discussion about aerodynamic or engine performance related phenomen in DCS where it’s good to be specific.

If you start throwing around the term „loss of tail rotor effectiveness“ the average guy probably googles it , learning that it usually refers to one specific condition where the wind conditions cancel out the anti torque  effect of the tail rotor and then thinks „ Ah ok , so it was the wind, I need to avoid certain wind conditions in order not to encounter this Problem again in DCS.“

Which helps exactly zero, as this is not simulated in DCS and the real problem likely lies elsewhere.

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeagle said:

Like Snappy said, average guy does not know what LTE is.  Then he will overload helicopter and try to do max performance take off and spin to fiery death. And then say that helicopter is bugged, because no matter where the wind is coming from he gets LTE. 

+1 with Miki. There are different kinds of LTE. The LTE coming from running out of torque because you are pulling too much on the engine(s) and LTE triggered by  the wind coming from the wrong directions and making your tail rotor blades spin into some very disturbed air. While I am sure that LTE based on wind directions is not modelled in DCS, I do think LTE based on power shortage is. From what Mr. Farknocker was describing, definitively LTE from running out of torque.

Edited by BaD CrC