Lose lock on multiple targets and when reappear, can only lock one?

Skwirl865

Sometimes in tws if I bug say 3 targets with tms right, I can cycle through them and everything but if I lose lock and they disappear off the radar, once  they reappear, I can only bug one.  I’ve tried it with tms up trying to bug them individually and with tms right to bug them all. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

In TWS there are two different levels of track object, tank track and system track. Due to Link 16 symbology there is no visual difference between the two. From original display to bug a radar target progresses through the increasing elevation of status: contact -> tank track -> system track -> bug.

Originally all TWS track are tank-type. If you notice your first TMS right tap doesn't step the bug to anything. Tank tracks cannot be bugged. What is happening is when there are only tank tracks a TMS right tap automatically elevates all tanks to system tracks (up to 10) and then the next one will step to the priority system track. You can also manually elevate tanks to systems with TMS up cursor over the tank.

On first versions the tank and system tracks looked different (without Link 16 on) being solid square tanks and hollow square systems. In a more recent patch they were both made solid (actually with a tiny, tiny hole in the middle).

Anyway, I suggest making an  air start mission editor test mission with some B-52s flying around. Get in, turn off the MIDS LVT knob to kill Link16 and play with the radar. The difference between tanks and systems becomes clear pretty quickly.

In your case your systems dropped off and came back as tanks. Since you already have a system (bug) you can't do the TMS right to auto-elevate all tanks to systems, you have to put cursor over each of the tanks and elevate them manually to system one by one with TMS up. Then you can TMS right cycle bug through your system tracks.

• Thanks 3

On 9/23/2021 at 10:10 PM, Frederf said:

In TWS there are two different levels of track object, tank track and system track. Due to Link 16 symbology there is no visual difference between the two. From original display to bug a radar target progresses through the increasing elevation of status: contact -> tank track -> system track -> bug.

Originally all TWS track are tank-type. If you notice your first TMS right tap doesn't step the bug to anything. Tank tracks cannot be bugged. What is happening is when there are only tank tracks a TMS right tap automatically elevates all tanks to system tracks (up to 10) and then the next one will step to the priority system track. You can also manually elevate tanks to systems with TMS up cursor over the tank.

On first versions the tank and system tracks looked different (without Link 16 on) being solid square tanks and hollow square systems. In a more recent patch they were both made solid (actually with a tiny, tiny hole in the middle).

Anyway, I suggest making an  air start mission editor test mission with some B-52s flying around. Get in, turn off the MIDS LVT knob to kill Link16 and play with the radar. The difference between tanks and systems becomes clear pretty quickly.

In your case your systems dropped off and came back as tanks. Since you already have a system (bug) you can't do the TMS right to auto-elevate all tanks to systems, you have to put cursor over each of the tanks and elevate them manually to system one by one with TMS up. Then you can TMS right cycle bug through your system tracks.

Thank u!  I’ll try that.  I’m doing it in an air start bvr practice mission i made. Seems like even with tms up, once I bug one, I can’t do anything with the others.  Even if I tms down to drop them, I can still only bug one but I’ll try that because I’m sure it’s me doing something wrong. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Skwirl865 said:

Nobody else has this problem?  Only able to bug one target after lock on multiple targets drop?

I am still learning Viper. I can observe something similiar in TWS mode. After one target is bugged, I can do nothing with TMS up or down, in case I wanted to level up the other ones, or just de-bug the prioity target to system. Just no reaction. I am not sure how it was working before.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Padre Pio said:

I am still learning Viper. I can observe something similiar in TWS mode. After one target is bugged, I can do nothing with TMS up or down, in case I wanted to level up the other ones, or just de-bug the prioity target to system. Just no reaction. I am not sure how it was working before.

It certainly was much different.  I can usually tms down and debug a target but I can still only rebug one and it almost always drops the lock in tws. 

• Like 1