Is a cockpit overhaul still coming?

AJ_Daubz

Hello! I've just bought the MiG21 and have been having an absolute blast in it! Easily one of the coolest modules I've flown in DCS!

I'm just wondering if an update for the cockpit is still in the works? I've found little bits of info here and there but wasn't sure if it was still being worked on. 

As much as I love the module, I feel the cockpit visuals are starting to show their age a little bit, and some of the textures are looking a bit ropey compared with some of the newer modules. 

I'd really appreciate if anyone has any info on it, thanks! 

• Like 7

It's not just about the age of the textures - which to me look just fine - but about the cockpit geometry, especially in VR (since the MiG-21 was released back in DCS 1.2 I believe, before there even was VR support).

It should be coming after the release of the F4U according to what I've read...

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I wonder if the switch logic would be updated to? Practically every other module apart from the MiG-21bis uses the RMB to move switches forwards, upwards, clockwise and to increment and the LMB to move switches backwards, downwards, counter-clockwise and to decrement. See this post.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a really important question for me. Right now I am using it in free trial, and while external model is good and the plane itself is quite interesting and is simply iconic, the cockpit spoils the overall impression significantly. Especially the lower part of it. And the switch logic, as mentioned above, is really counterintuitive after playing all other modules.

Its dated. Thats for sure. But we have plans to update it completely. This would be complete overhaul to bring it to the current DCS standard and beyond. The problem is that we are a small team and multiple projects - released and upcoming, so we have to navigate those waters safely. I cant give you any specific date but I think window of opportunity will appear once F4U artwork is done and module released.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

10 hours ago, Hiromachi said:

Its dated. Thats for sure. But we have plans to update it completely. This would be complete overhaul to bring it to the current DCS standard and beyond. The problem is that we are a small team and multiple projects - released and upcoming, so we have to navigate those waters safely. I cant give you any specific date but I think window of opportunity will appear once F4U artwork is done and module released.

thanks for info. MiG-21 is a great plane to fly, but the VR experience is horrible.... Waiting for an update so much that i'm even ready to pay for it

• Like 3

i7 13700K,  DDR5 32Gb, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC, Pico 4 VR

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's good. The Mig-21 definitely deserves an improved alepson cockpit. And maybe something more.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

• 3 weeks later...
Am 19.11.2021 um 06:26 schrieb Mike_CK:

Ok…I’ll bite. I fly the Mig 21 in VR all the time….what’s the problem? I don’t notice any visual issues and I’ve never had a problem flipping switches. To me, it’s similar to the F-14 due to no MFDs

The problem is that the cockpit locks very bad and outdated compared to the newer modules.

28 minutes ago, Germane said:

The problem is that the cockpit locks very bad and outdated compared to the newer modules.

It's also broken... I don't know how to explain... Geometry? Scale? Both? It looks like it is actually 2D

• Like 2

i7 13700K,  DDR5 32Gb, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC, Pico 4 VR

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I actually contacted Leatherneck Simulations personally on facebook. And they absolutely confirmed this was still in the works. Whoever was running the page also gave plenty of detail on what's planned, but since it was a 1 on 1 conversation I'm not really comfortable divulging information. I actually contacted them regarding an issue with the sim, and all this information came out randomly while conversing. 

Whoever runs the page was incredibly friendly, and seemed very open to talking about it though. I'd say, ask them yourselves if your curious !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Wikikomoto said:

I'm not really comfortable divulging information. 

I doubt they told you anything they wouldnt tell anyone else so.................

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Well he didn't say not to share... So okay! (Sorry if I'm getting anyone in trouble! Ahhh!! I'm just incredibly excited to see continued work on my favorite aircraft!!!)  

I edited this a bit, sorry. photo wasn't displaying and I decided not to post a few details. Here are specifics about the cockpit model though

we intend to rework the cockpit at some point and mentioned by you switches will be a part of that.

Leatherneck Simulations

However circuit breakers, in a final version, will likely be covered by a transparent cover as in most MiG-21bis aiframes.

Leatherneck Simulations

You can see a bit of it on the attached picture.

267190691_4998199070198248_8547718483574412995_n.jpg

Leatherneck Simulations

As such circuit breakers were not accesible by the pilot and they were not the be used in-flight. So even if animated, users will likely not be able to operate them.
16 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

I doubt they told you anything they wouldnt tell anyone else so.................

Sorry about the formatting, I don't use these types of forums much! 

Edited by Wikikomoto
  • Thanks 1