3d printed F-14 wiring for TM Warthog base

ig002

Hello Everyone,

I have bought a 3D print file for an F-14 stick which I printed. It looks really good to me but I'm stuck since I don't know how to connect the buttons so they would work.

The file is here:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/gadget/f-14-flightstick

The problem is that the creator was planning to make it adaptable to the Warthog base but I should use a special PCB to connect the buttons so they would work with the Warthog base. This special PCB is still not available from him so I thought I ask if someone has done anything like this before. I have bought all the switches, I have the printed parts but I have no clue how this thing will work.:)

Any idea from anyone?

I got these swiches:

- RKJXT1F42001 Original 4-Way Switch Car Navigation Encoder Key Rocker Switch RKJXT1F42001 With Push Switch Encoder

- Tact Switch on off KW11-3Z 5A 250V Microswitch 3PIN

- Bevigac 2PCS 3D Analog Potentiometers Joystick Thumb 2PCS Grip with Cap 1PCS Screwdriver for PS4 Slim Pro XBOX One Controller

- DS-425A 12mm Black Reset Button Switch 3A 125VAC 1.5A 250VAC Self Return Momentary No Lock Push Button Switch Switch

- CK1031 Rotary Switch, 4 Position, 3 Pole, 30 °, 150 mA, 250 V, CK Series

- Tact Tacticle Switch Push Button 6*6*5mm 4 Pin DIP Momentary 6X6X5mm

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, No1sonuk said:

It looks like the download includes a file called "F-14 Documentation.pdf".
Maybe it's in there.  I don't have the F-14, so I'll not be paying for the download.

Hi,

Yes, there is a pdf but it shows a circuit which could be used on a gimbal designed also by the same guy. i would like to use on the Warthog base and it's still work in progress........and I'm not sure if it's ever will be finished so that's why I'm asking around here.

10 hours ago, PhoenixRising said:

One option would be to wire all of your switches to an Arudino or Bodnar board, while using the Thrustmaster gimbal. It would be a little ugly, and you would have two USB cables to plug in, but it would theoretically work.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Thanks, I think this is over my skill:). Mechanical stuff is OK, minor soldering also OK but programming Arduino is a bit too much:).

A Bondar board is literal plug and play. There is no soldering required. One example: http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=205. You just attach your wires and plug it in. It then looks like a game controller to Windows.

There is also Mmjoy, which is custom Arduino firmware. It also takes the coding out of making a game controller. You just have to set what pin is what in a graphical user interface.

2 hours ago, PhoenixRising said:

A Bondar board is literal plug and play. There is no soldering required. One example: http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=205. You just attach your wires and plug it in. It then looks like a game controller to Windows.

There is also Mmjoy, which is custom Arduino firmware. It also takes the coding out of making a game controller. You just have to set what pin is what in a graphical user interface.

This looks promising but a bit too big since it should fit inside the stick. I think this would be better:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=316

I'm a bit confused. These boards are for a complete standalone joystick, right? My plan is that I connect the switches to the connectors on the Warthog base connectors. This PCB should be between the buttons on the stick and the connector on the base. Something like this: Button=>PCB=>Warthog connector. These bords are more like this: Button=>PCB=>PC Is that correct?

9 minutes ago, ig002 said:

This looks promising but a bit too big since it should fit inside the stick. I think this would be better:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=316

I'm a bit confused. These boards are for a complete standalone joystick, right? My plan is that I connect the switches to the connectors on the Warthog base connectors. This PCB should be between the buttons on the stick and the connector on the base. Something like this: Button=>PCB=>Warthog connector. These bords are more like this: Button=>PCB=>PC Is that correct?

To use your grip on a Warthog base it needs a board inside the grip with I2C shift registers to turn the 18 or so buttons into the 5 wire output the base expects. You can scavenge the board from a Warthog or Cougar grip as well as from older FLCS units. There might be something made by the community to fill this role as well

1 hour ago, Thadiun Okona said:

To use your grip on a Warthog base it needs a board inside the grip with I2C shift registers to turn the 18 or so buttons into the 5 wire output the base expects. You can scavenge the board from a Warthog or Cougar grip as well as from older FLCS units. There might be something made by the community to fill this role as well

Batting your head against a wall...
I already said that, but he seems convinced the additional electronics are for something else.
Without the document that's in the files, we can't help him...

13 hours ago, Thadiun Okona said:

This looks good, any idea about what does what on the Warthog board? 

41 minuti fa, ig002 ha scritto:

This looks good, any idea about what does what on the Warthog board? 

This might be a good starting point, at least for the grip and connector "pinout": https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/45j5pk/tm_warthog_stick_circuitry/

You can either savage an existing board like already suggested, or make your own using existing schematics. In both cases, if you use the same type and number of shift register and wire them to the main connector correctly no programming should be needed. You'll be limited to 24 buttons and no axes, which should works with the Tomcat grip but won't be compatible with some of the "switches" you linked (thumbsticks and encoders won't work).

Weather you make your own board or use an existing one I do strongly suggest you do some basic research on how these shift registers work, though. It will help you with understanding the schematics, wiring your switches to the board and do any potential troubleshooting.

7 hours ago, BamJr said:

This might be a good starting point, at least for the grip and connector "pinout": https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/45j5pk/tm_warthog_stick_circuitry/

You can either savage an existing board like already suggested, or make your own using existing schematics. In both cases, if you use the same type and number of shift register and wire them to the main connector correctly no programming should be needed. You'll be limited to 24 buttons and no axes, which should works with the Tomcat grip but won't be compatible with some of the "switches" you linked (thumbsticks and encoders won't work).

Weather you make your own board or use an existing one I do strongly suggest you do some basic research on how these shift registers work, though. It will help you with understanding the schematics, wiring your switches to the board and do any potential troubleshooting.

Thanks, this looks promising. I have to dig into it to understand but it's a good starting point!

Take a look here 😉

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg