Straight and Level Flight Option Whilst In The Nav's Position (for single player mode).

bart

I was watching a recent video by Reflected on the operation of the T1154 (transmitter) & R1155 (receiver) radio units. Whilst manipulating the controls he had to, and was struggling at times, to keep the aircraft straight and level whilst at the same time tuning the radio's. He mentions that the radio functionality will be an important part of his up and coming SP campaign for the Mossie. Here is a link to that video, I hope he won't mind me posting it here so folks can see the issue first hand. 

Now that we know the radio use is likely to be an important feature of future campaigns would it be possible to have an option for those playing in Single Player mode or a SP campaign to have the aircraft stay in straight and level flight when the player needs to switch to the nav's position to operate and tune the Radio units? for example the aircraft continues to fly straight and level maintaining whatever course and altitude you were at when you switched to the nav's position, and therefore the player wouldn't be fighting with control of the aircraft whilst working the radio sets at the same time?

After watching Reflected's tutorial, I think it would be a great addition for the single players to have such a feature available.

Edited by bart
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Not a bad suggestion at all.

As a note:

I know this won't work in multiplayer obviously, but Reflected could have used active pause in his video I think to make his life easier. 🙂

• Like 1
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

+1 for this. The Mosquito even while trimmed out is pretty unstable and always requires a bit of control pressure to make small corrections and if you aren't constantly making those little corrections, your attitude will run away pretty quick on you. This is realistic for a warbird as they are made a bit inherently unstable as they trade instability for maneuverability. I see nothing wrong with a little AI that hold straight and level only while you manipulate the radios. Seems harmless enough. Just make it an option in the mission editor if MP sever admins would get their knickers in too much of a twist about it.

• Like 3

On 9/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, No1sonuk said:

It'd essentially be an autopilot by stealth. 😉

Sorry, this is just silly…

I know that there is a cohort here who is fervently opposed to autopilot or “dumb down assists” - but that’s not what’s requested.  If you’re a SP user taking another flight crew position, then it would be entirely realistic for the AI Pilot to fly the aircraft.

If DCS ever decided to make a multi-seat B-17, would you expect to have to, or be able to, fly the aircraft from the gunner’s position???

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Sorry, this is just silly…

I know that there is a cohort here who is fervently opposed to autopilot or “dumb down assists” - but that’s not what’s requested.  If you’re a SP user taking another flight crew position, then it would be entirely realistic for the AI Pilot to fly the aircraft.

If DCS ever decided to make a multi-seat B-17, would you expect to have to, or be able to, fly the aircraft from the gunner’s position???

ERm... I'm not opposed to the idea...

Active pause is not really an option when you're in a formation with several AI-s. They won't stop mid-space with you, they'll just fly away.

I don't see how a 'hold level flight' function would be a cheat, especially if it was only available from the navigator's seat. As soon as you switch back the 'autopilot' turns off. How about that?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Reflected said:

Active pause is not really an option when you're in a formation with several AI-s. They won't stop mid-space with you, they'll just fly away.

I don't see how a 'hold level flight' function would be a cheat, especially if it was only available from the navigator's seat. As soon as you switch back the 'autopilot' turns off. How about that?

i don't see why you wouldn't be able to give a new heading and altitude from the navigators seat also. you can command a wingman, why not be able to give basic instructions to the guy in the next seat?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimBo* said:

i don't see why you wouldn't be able to give a new heading and altitude from the navigators seat also. you can command a wingman, why not be able to give basic instructions to the guy in the next seat?

interesting…

\ Fx (Nav) F2-steer course 123(numpad entry) F2 to commit