Oculus Quest 2 or HP G2, new future user here.

-SkyRaider-

Thx a friend I used for the first time ever a VR helmet on DCS (and HL Alyx) and I have no words to describe the experience, it's simply outstanding, awesome...so, I just decide to buy one; my rig is a I7-9700K 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080Ti and SSD. I can't decide between an Oculus Quest 2 or a an HP G2; my friend own a Oculus Rift S, but now it is discontinued and just can I get and afford these two models for now. Please, can I get sugerences for what of these two device it its better or recommended for my PC specifications; I aim to play SIM flights about 80% of the time and the rest 20% in FPS-type games. thank you all in advance.

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 - DCS: Yak-52 - DCS: M-2000C - DCS: F-16C Viper - DCS: A-10C II Tank Killer - DCS: F/A-18C Hornet - DCS: AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL - DCS: Supercarrier -

DCS: Mi-24P Hind - DCS: AH-64D Apache - DCS: Syria - DCS: Persian Gulf - DCS: Caucasus - DCS: Marianas - DCS: South Atlantic

Wishlist #1: Ground crew, vehicles and support equipment on busy Air Base platforms. Wishlist #2: Douglas A-4 Skyhawk (early series)

A-4.jpg

HP G2.  The Quest 2 doesn't even come close.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I only have the G2 so can only compare specs.  I do have a Rift S.  When I first got my G2, I was hesitant about the level of upgrade.  Then I put the Rift S back on.  The level or resolution and lack of "screen door effect" was stunning.  Never looked back.

Your rig can run the G2 without issue.  Go with the G2 (especially if they are still at $450).

Oh, the FOV between the two are about the same.  

Edited by AKA_Clutter

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

G2 owner here.

the controller tracking is bad

better clarity than the Q2

The Q2 got more features

If you'll use the headset almost exclusive for simulators i'll say the G2 is the better option. If not, then is compicated, tracking vs clarity.

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S

Be aware that the Quest 2 received update 33 recently, which supposedly improved clarity.  How it now compares to the G2, sorry, can't help with that.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I have a friend that has the Q2 and he just got a G2 and said it was a huge improvement in clarity. 

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Thank you all for the feedbacks, I read carefully all the comments, more suggestions are welcome. In my country the G2 costs me twice that the Q2, so I need to analyze very carefully if the difference worth it; I will probably opt for the HP G2 in the end, so I hope the field of view will be similar to the Rift S.

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 - DCS: Yak-52 - DCS: M-2000C - DCS: F-16C Viper - DCS: A-10C II Tank Killer - DCS: F/A-18C Hornet - DCS: AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL - DCS: Supercarrier -

DCS: Mi-24P Hind - DCS: AH-64D Apache - DCS: Syria - DCS: Persian Gulf - DCS: Caucasus - DCS: Marianas - DCS: South Atlantic

Wishlist #1: Ground crew, vehicles and support equipment on busy Air Base platforms. Wishlist #2: Douglas A-4 Skyhawk (early series)

A-4.jpg

I think it would be worth comparing what SS you could run a G2 at with a 2080ti and compare that to the res of the Quest 2, baring in mind what you will be doing with it, probably not flying around an empty map, so keep that in mind. 

I haven’t had a Q2 or a 2080ti, but I’ve had 2 Rifts (og and S) with a 1080ti and now have a G2 with a 3090. And except for the Great visual clarity of the G2 ( in the comparatively small sweet spot at least) I preferred pretty much everything else in the Rift S and no need to use steam vr and wmr. maybe not the audio, that was pretty crap.

But in flight sims hmd res is pretty damn important so I won’t be going back, just looking forward to something new being released at some point. And if you can run the G2 at a higher res than the Q2 will go on your system to then the G2 is probably the best pick.

the question that needs to be answered is what settings do you run DCS with a G2 vs Q2.  Talking High settings or all these low settings because the res is to high for what hardware and dcs can currently provide right now.  Ya high res is nice but it is not nice when the sim is in PS2 settings mode.....

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

The Q2's wireless feature is very good for standing VR games, less important for seated VR. Its all very subjective. Worth noting that I think next year we are going to see new headsets on the market, probably a new oculus, maybe a new valve, probably another WMR headset so buying now might not be great. You could even pickup a used rift S, get yourself going and be ready for the preorders. If you have the power to run a Q2 or G2 a rift S on 1.5 SS will be a great temporary experience. Its not that bad once super sampled. Not so great natively. 

I think some new Quest 2s are in the pipeline, Plus and Pro. The Plus this year the Pro next year from what I’ve seen on a YouTube vid (so not 100% reliable teehee) but the pro should be higher res but just short of the G2. But you can’t run a G2 at 100% in DCS anyway so that’s not really an issue.

That’s definitely got my attention. It’s just the damned Facebook requirement that puts me off, but I’ll even do that in order to get a more hassle free vr experience. Damn it, Zuckerburg has found my weak spot!

Edited by Digitalvole

15 hours ago, SkorpioN1606689188 said:

Thank you all for the feedbacks, I read carefully all the comments, more suggestions are welcome. In my country the G2 costs me twice that the Q2, so I need to analyze very carefully if the difference worth it; I will probably opt for the HP G2 in the end, so I hope the field of view will be similar to the Rift S.

Look into the resale market for a Q2 in your country.  That might be an option.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

18 hours ago, Burt said:

I have a friend that has the Q2 and he just got a G2 and said it was a huge improvement in clarity. 

Was the Q2 being run at its max render resolution? The g2 is sure better specs, but I can read the mfds without zooming etc on my Q2 at max render res...

15 hours ago, SkorpioN1606689188 said:

Admittedly I don't know what the price differences there are between countries... But I would be careful with this thinking. In UK the Q2 is half the price of a G2, but the Q2 is built around add-ons so I have a cable and seperate headphones (built in sound is awful). So its sort of the same price. Depends on what you have already. Some people buy new straps and face gaskets, extra batteries. Q2 could cost more in this case.

22 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

...seperate headphones (built in sound is awful). So its sort of the same price. Depends on what you have already. Some people buy new straps and face gaskets, extra batteries. Q2 could cost more in this case.

The built-in sound on the G2 is pretty awful as well, just so the OP knows.  I took the phones off of it and use the Bose QC35s I already have, along with an Avantree USB streaming dongle.  Much better sound that way.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

34 minutes ago, eaglecash867 said:

The built-in sound on the G2 is pretty awful as well, just so the OP knows.  I took the phones off of it and use the Bose QC35s I already have, along with an Avantree USB streaming dongle.  Much better sound that way.

Yeah its all pretty subjective at this point. I didn't like it either, but most seem to. It is better than the tiny holes on the Q2!

I have the Q2 and use it with an RTX 2060. For the money I paid for it (half of what a G2 costs) I'm really happy with the result. (Add on cable was only 15 euros, no need to spend more)

Of course you have to lower your settings in DCS but that it's true for every headset that has to work with an old GPU. 

On top you get a very good standalone VR headest for other activities/games.

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

Finally today I ended up acquiring a Q2, for purely practical reasons (cheaper and immediate availability in my Country/City), but I'm going to test it and use for the following months; at the end of the next year I plan to get a new rig and VR headset, surely a G2 or a hypothetical G3.

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

A-4.jpg

As a Reverb G2 user who got a Quest 2, I have to say the the Q2 experience is miles ahead of the Reverb. 

Yes the Reverb is much clearer in the sweet spot, but it much smaller than the Q2. Overall the Q2 is much more consistent off axis glancing around the cockpit. 

The Q2 is clear enough to read the cockpit. 

Also Oculus AWS is very much more superior to SteamVR/WMR reprojection. Even in places where there fps dips to 30 fps it just feels better on the Q2. The Reverb chugs and stutters, dropping frames. AWS just smooths it out enough that it stays playable. 

Also the Q2 is just rock solid. Between WMR, SteamVR and DCS one crashes and every 30 min or so. So far in using my Q2 I've had DCS not crash once. 

I'm keeping my Q2 and selling my Reverb. 

Edited by DayGlow

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

6 minutes ago, DayGlow said:

As a Reverb G2 user who got a Quest 2, I have to say the the Q2 experience is miles ahead of the Reverb. 

Yes the Reverb is much clearer in the sweet spot, but it much smaller than the Q2. Overall the Q2 is much more consistent off axis glancing around the cockpit. 

Also Oculus AWS is very much more superior to SteamVR/WMR reprojection. Even in places where there fps dips to 30 fps it just feels better on the Q2. The Reverb chugs and stutters, dropping frames. AWS just smooths it out enough that it stays playable. 

Also the Q2 is just rock solid. Between WMR, SteamVR and DCS one crashes and every 30 min or so. So far in using my Q2 I've had DCS not crash once. 

Wow that is certainly an interesting observation.

I am seeing mostly good reports especially after the latest update to the Quest 2.

I am intrigued on the rumored Quest Pro that might be disclosed at Oculus Connect later this month.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, DayGlow said:

This is very interesting for me, all those things you mention are kind of ruining my enjoyment of the G2, especially the reprojection. I barley noticed it with my rift s unless it went below 40, but in the G2 it’s everywhere. I’ve been wondering if a Q2 would be a better overall experience. Hmm this is food for thought, thanks. Is there screen door in the Q2?

Keep in mind Oculus Connect is toward the end of this month.

May be some news on a new Quest model forthcoming.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

12 hours ago, dburne said:

Keep in mind Oculus Connect is toward the end of this month.

May be some news on a new Quest model forthcoming.

You’re absolutely right, the Pro sounds like the one to look out for. 
I watched a comparison vid of the Q2 & G2 last night, think I’ll stick with the G2 for now. The link cable seems like a bit of a handicap (can’t increase pd apparently, even a 3090 can’t handle it) and like you say, there’s probably something coming round the mountain.
I’ve got used to the small sweet spot, audio cut outs and heat of the G2, it really is just the motion smoothing that’s the issue for me.