Dedicated Server on Synology DS920+ NAS

I currently have a dedicated server running on a PC that is also my media server - I am migrating the media over to a Synology NAS so I can ditch the old PC (for power saving purposes). Is it possible to install and have a DCS server running on a NAS box? 

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

5 minutes ago, HiJack said:

I would have tested that for sure. You can run a virtual Windows 10 (or 11) on that box. The problem may be RAM. How much do you have available? 

The DS920+ may be a bit to low spec with 4GB installed RAM and 8GB as max. Maybe look to get a bigger NAS? 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HiJack said:

The DS920+ may be a bit to low spec with 4GB installed RAM and 8GB as max. Maybe look to get a bigger NAS? 🙂

Hi,Jack (see what I did there) - thanks for the reply! I ultimately decided to just build my own dedicated box to replace the aging and inefficient 4th gen i3 system that I currently have the DCS server and my media server on. I think I spent roughly around the same that the NAS + ram upgrade would have cost me and the performance should be much better! Hopefully 😬

Edited by DirtyMike0330
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Dang. Just found this thread and was hoping to see a conclusion / test results. I guess not. 

The idea of a DCS server on a NAS is very tempting. Both for the power saving options, but also for the ease of having a DCS Server 'appliance'. 

Raspberry Pi's max out at 8GB of RAM too. (Not sure if their CPU would be less than the NAS). 

On 2/28/2023 at 5:31 PM, Dangerzone said:

Dang. Just found this thread and was hoping to see a conclusion / test results. I guess not. 

The idea of a DCS server on a NAS is very tempting. Both for the power saving options, but also for the ease of having a DCS Server 'appliance'. 

Raspberry Pi's max out at 8GB of RAM too. (Not sure if their CPU would be less than the NAS). 

I couldn't find anything online. There was like half a guide to run it on a linux box but that didn't work. Ultimately, I didn't even go the NAS route. I have a dedicated media PC running unRAID (for running Plex docker and whatnot) and just spun a Win10 VM up from that box that just has a DCS server running 24/7.