Question about flatspins

Fynek

Hello, I had the issue twice today for the first time entering spins and losing control after releasing bombs from the outer pylons closest to wing tips where sidewinders are usually sitting.

I had an asymetrical load with the ecm pod in the center line and tgp under the wing, and 1 ir mav left when i entered a spin just after releasing those bombs and making a turn away from the target.

I would just like to ask first of all if i am alone to experience it and if there is a way to prevent it please or a way to recover during the spin.

When i do not carry those 250lb bombs  or rockeyes and just have sidearms, sidewinders or nothing on these pylons, i never had the spin before. Thank you for your help.

Edited by Fynek

Did not manage to reproduce the issue today, i suppose that it is because i may have over trimmed the aircraft prior to release of the outer bombs.

I will keep using Mk81s 250lb bombs on the outer pylons with asymetric loadouts to see what can trigger this but i suppose it is likely to be excessive trimming as i compensate right after releasing jdams or a maverick.

70+ views no replies, i guess either my question was very silly or else nobody ever had the spinning issue with the Harrier.

Edited by Fynek

Thank you for your reply, indeed i managed to find the tacview trackfile from when it happened, unfortunately it is 10mb ( GAW server) so i couldnt link it here but what i gathered from it is that right before i spinned, i was in excess of 520 knots in a turning dive and the aircraft ailerons were perhaps excessively trimmed as to compensate after the ordnance release. 

I could not manage to get out of the spin, but i think that going forward i will be a lot more careful right after release to check speed and AOA before trimming ailerons in a heavy handed way ( especially at night which is when it happened to me)

Many thanks as well for your really excellent videos that i have learnt a lot from, particularly with the Harrier 🙂 

Edited by Fynek

yeah you dont want 250lbs bombs on your wingtips. You normally put sidewinders and or sidearms on there for selfdefense.

if your mission profile absolutely needs you to wingtip pylons for bombs it should be gbu12 and you should aim for a high altitude release while AFC is on. (like 20.000 ft)

Slip ball.

Too often forgotten by jet pilots, it becomes necessary when asymmetric weapon loads are carried.

Just trimming wings level does not mean you are in coordinated flight, a area primed for departure of controlled flight.

Yes you can just power through some slip or skid, common for jet pilots, but I becomes a danger when you start adding bank, especially into a skid.

Check that ball before rolling and get it centered, think ball is left, step on left.

• Like 2

I liken the asymmetrical weapons load to flying a twin then losing an engine, make all turns away from the dead engine or heavy stores side. Yes it makes the turn slower, but at least you can recover to straight and level at any time. Should keep away from the spin scenario.