What do the gyros in the ATGM sight do exactly?

IronChancellor

AFAIK they're there to provide stabilisation, though in DCS at least, they do a pretty poor job of it, it's almost like the sight isn't stabilised at all, unsure what the real thing is supposed to be like, the only thing I can provide is this video taken from a training simulator for the Mi-24P, the sight looks much more stable here, though it might be that the helicopter was really stable.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I have no idea how it's supposed to be IRL. But I'm trying to find a YT I saw which they they showed when the operator aimed at something, and it seemed very stable. And it didn't drift like it does now. (I can't believe that it's real that we have to sort of counter act the movement like we're weightless in space or something).
But who knows if what I saw was newer tech. The video was showing off the Hind with shortclips and music and you guys might have seen it too.
I know it's a work in progress, and I just want it to be "real" for better or for worse.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

From bad russian translation (google). 
Someone jump out with same conclusion and short answer is:
Its like its should be and its correct. 
About  those degrees, Theres that translation i mention. 
Its Dev itself. Pilotmi8 September 6th

2.5 degrees per second is the speed of the missile "catching up" behind the line of sight in terms of energy capabilities and rudders. ATGM can only realize up to 7 units of overload (for comparison, the R-73 has 42 units!), And then at the stage of 3-5 seconds of flight. At a later time, a smooth drop in the available overload to approx.2.5..3.0 units to a range of 4 km. This is at a speed of 350-420m / s at this stage. That is, there is all the data to calculate the angular velocity of the rocket. And technically, you can turn the line of sight much faster.

and yes - if, while hovering, the commander must tilt the nose down to fire (as in the example), then the operator must "work out" exactly the same upward angle of the launcher PN. This is exactly how it works. IN REALITY I mean"

Edited by MadJiitensha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Actually, last Friday PilotMi8 (Hind dev team lead) had confirmed that current implementation on Raduga-Sh is incorrect and will be remade in one of the next updates. Initially devs made the sight to be stabilized in relation to the airframe, but after some additional research they confirmed that actually it should be stabilized relative to the ground.

Right now sight turns together with airframe making it pretty hard to aim, if helicopter is not perfectly stable. After update azimuth and elevation of the sight will be stabilized during helicopter maneuvers as long as turning rates aren't too high (can't remember what the limits are).

That means that inputs by the operator will need to be considerably smaller. And that also applies to Petrovich-operator as his aiming is simulated in a relatively realistic manner with him needing to combat the sight oscillation the same way as human would. And since oscillations will get smaller, he will have easier time aiming.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1