RUK Mode HARM firing solution without a Steerpoint?

- Sonic -

Hello. Thats' my question:

I want tro try to fire HARM using the DTC Sam Circle displayed on HSD. It's will be a "estimated position" and RUK mode is what we need for this.

Unfortunately we don't know a coordinates for create a Steerpoint to use for this purpose 🙄.

I know that a HSD Cursor is WIP, then we can use this tool.

How I can do to estimate the position in coord. DMS to make a firing solution for the HARM??

My idea is to use for example the TGP; place the TGP cursor of HSD over the center of Sam yellow circle and read the coord. indicated by TGP on MFD. All this remaing out of the Sam range.

is this way reliable in your opinion?

Tks!

5 hours ago, - Sonic - said:

My idea is to use for example the TGP; place the TGP cursor of HSD over the center of Sam yellow circle and read the coord. indicated by TGP on MFD. All this remaing out of the Sam range.

is this way reliable in your opinion?

Tks!

The problem with that is that HSD doesnt show TGP cursor while you have HARM selected, the SPI doesnt seem to move with TGP, so there is no way to locate that SAM site using that method, don't know if that is a bug or not tho.

Edited by Furiz

EOM, PB, RUK are all submodes of POS. POS is a steerpoint-referenced mode. So, no you can't fire a steerpoint-referenced HARM not at a steerpoint.

But, all preplanned threat circles on your HSD are steerpoints. I don't know if you can pick them with HSD cursor and TMS up on the symbol or not but the cursor is not modeled so we cannot even try yet. But those circles are all defined as steerpoints in range 56-70. That's only 15 ones to try. So just press ICP 4, type in 56, then RTN to get to the CNI page to use the increment arrow to cycle through 57, 58, 59, etc. until the SPI cross on the HSD is over your threat circle center. That's your steerpoint which is the middle of that circle.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

EOM, PB, RUK are all submodes of POS. POS is a steerpoint-referenced mode. So, no you can't fire a steerpoint-referenced HARM not at a steerpoint.

But, all preplanned threat circles on your HSD are steerpoints. I don't know if you can pick them with HSD cursor and TMS up on the symbol or not but the cursor is not modeled so we cannot even try yet. But those circles are all defined as steerpoints in range 56-70. That's only 15 ones to try. So just press ICP 4, type in 56, then RTN to get to the CNI page to use the increment arrow to cycle through 57, 58, 59, etc. until the SPI cross on the HSD is over your threat circle center. That's your steerpoint which is the middle of that circle.
fantastic! I will try this way!! thanks!

Inviato dal mio SM-A405FN utilizzando Tapatalk

I just tried this and the threat points are not actual steerpoints of the 127 yet. But the SPI cross is showing on the HSD in both NAV and HARM modes so it will be pretty easy to verify that your selected STPT is on your desired threat point when you can pick it out of the STPTs.

I know you can cursor slew HSD and use TMS up to change your current steerpoint (when modeled) on your flight plan directly (graphically) but I'm not sure if you can pick steerpoints not on your flight plan in the same way. I think so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Frederf said:

know you can cursor slew HSD and use TMS up to change your current steerpoint (when modeled) on your flight plan directly (graphically) but I'm not sure if you can pick steerpoints not on your flight plan in the same way. I think so.

You should be able to tms up on any steerpoint 1-127 including datalinked steerpoints.

My PIA way to do this is for MP is, on the parked ground before takeoff:
1- Look at HSD for SAM center.
2- Estimate range and direction from my A/C.
3- Open F10 map and measure approx distance and direction from my A/C parked.
4- Write down Lat Lon of estimated SAM site.

5- Enter new Steerpoint with Lat Lon of estimated SAM site.
6- Look at HSD to see how close you are (is Steepoint cross over SAM center?) then correct Lan Lon as needed.

7- Go back to F10 and get Altitude of SAM estimated location.
8- I now have a Steerpoint with 3-5 ish nm of SAM site, usually good enought for HARM.

9- Copy SAM sites to Kneeboard per MP Server for future reference.

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

3 hours ago, ACME_WIdgets said:

6- Look at HSD to see how close you are (is Steepoint cross over SAM center?) then correct Lan Lon as needed.

8- I now have a Steerpoint with 3-5 ish nm of SAM site, usually good enought for HARM.

You can do it easier with TGP. When You power on TGP in NAV mode, cursor should appear in HSD. Then You can move TGP and try match HSD TGP cursor with HSD SAM site mark. Then like in Your method, write down coordinates from TGP, make new Steerpoint and Magnum!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ACME_WIdgets said:

Or...

Load in the MP mission for a quick sec.

Exit the mission.

Go the Track subfolder of your game folder.

Find the most recent *.trk file and rename it to *.miz
Open the *.miz file in the mission editor, select any SAM/Target and note coordinates.

Edited by 104th_Crunch

5 hours ago, 104th_Crunch said:

Or...

Load in the MP mission for a quick sec.

Exit the mission.

Go the Track subfolder of your game folder.

Find the most recent *.trk file and rename it to *.miz
Open the *.miz file in the mission editor, select any SAM/Target and note coordinates.

That is the perfect solution which all mission makers will appreciate! ❤️ Seems a bit of a hassle though, requires at least 5 mins of semi-effort. Maybe ask for coordinates to be already on the mission briefing? Or even better, why hide them on the F10 map at all? Or just ask for all launchers to have a precise waypoint.. Cheese much

• Like 6