Recommended training before Black Shark arrives?

McVittees

For those of you who have had (or are having) the pleasure of flying the Shark, what would recommend in the way of practise while I wait for the demo? I have FSX and EECH but have found flying helicopters in the former not very fulfilling and am not sure how realistic the flight model is in the latter.

Should I wait and stick with fixed wings for now, or will it pay off to transition early in one of the above sims?

Your opinons please!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

If I were you, I would not waste my time with FSX/EECH helis.

Black Shark is the most realistic PeeCee sim I've flown, and you may be better off just understanding how a helicopter works. If you got a few quid to spare get hold of one of the Helicopter principles of flight training manuals.

There's a lot to flying the Shark. Alternatively go and get some real life heli lessons :)

The FSX helis are no where near the level of BS. You're talking child's play in FSX whereas in BS it'll bite you if you don't pay attention.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I know that you would like to have other answers, but I think the most important skill you need is to be patient.

Being Patient waiting for it.

Being Patient get the KA-50 systems running.

Being Patient to learn to control the KA-50 safely.

One thing that helped me (when I look back):

Rudiment knowledge how to operate a helicopter in general.

I would advise you to go to http://www.hovercontrol.com/ and get their free helicopter addons that lift the modeled flight model immense in MS FS ( but still not near Black Shark;))

And Visit also the forum of HC http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi !

A excellent database with many RL helicopter pilots as members that are very friendly to newbies!

Edited by urze

I feared you would suggest waiting but at least what you think about FSX/EECH chimes with my own thoughts...I'll have a look at hovercontrol.com though.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Roll on the English manual I say! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

I flew some hours with FSX trying to get into grips with the helicopters, simply because i have never flown them in any PC sim before.. that did help a lot, so when i did get my hands on the Ka-50, i didn't need to think about every single control input as much anymore..

(...though sometimes i do wish i had thought about them a little more...)

Start with some press ups so your arms are strong for yanking your cyclic and collective hard as the ka 50 plunges towards the ground and also have some singining lessons so your screams of anquish will at least be in tune!

Seriously any basic helicopter input you can get will help you prepare in some small way, just be ready for the wild ride that is the ka 50 flight model. I have flown sims, RC helicopters and even a couple of hour on full size but this beast is a handful in certain flight envelops [anyone else down a tight turn and literally 'fell off it' going from flying machine to house brick in 3 seconds!?]

From a personal point of view i actually don't like the look of the ka50 or how it flies and will happier when something comes along with a tail rotor! :pilotfly:

drummer

... a handful in certain flight envelops [anyone else down a tight turn and literally 'fell off it' going from flying machine to house brick in 3 seconds!?

Yes!

Far too often. But I think it's because I'm pushing it too hard. I managed it last night. 200km/h approach to the FARP with 0 collective. Did a tight turn to slow it down and line up for the pad. Only it went a little wrong and I ended up going through my own downwash and became acquainted (yet again) with Vortex Ring...

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Yes!

Far too often. But I think it's because I'm pushing it too hard. I managed it last night. 200km/h approach to the FARP with 0 collective. Did a tight turn to slow it down and line up for the pad. Only it went a little wrong and I ended up going through my own downwash and became acquainted (yet again) with Vortex Ring...

It is certainly taking some time to get to grips with the flight model. Before Black Shark the only time I experienced Vortex ring was after a particualry hot curry :helpsmilie: !

If interested here is a link to a video of Turbine model heli ka52 in action

http://www.helicrazy.com/crbst_64.html

note that rc helicopters are capable of wild 3 d flying routines but this one is very sedate and careful, not just because of the cost involved but as we know co axial rotor setups can bite!

It is certainly taking some time to get to grips with the flight model. Before Black Shark the only time I experienced Vortex ring was after a particualry hot curry :helpsmilie: !

I do like crude humour and this made me laugh, sadly I was drinking a cup of tea at the time and nearly choked and did spit tea all over my glasses and down my clean white shirt...so thanks :joystick:

:D:lol::megalol:

Regards

Paul

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I flew in FSX for 6 months, and with some very good advise from the Hovercontrol forums, (like setting your controls up very touchy; I move my stick maybe 2-3 cents for almost all flight time) I was able to come up with a good idea of how a helicopter flies, of course vortex ring and retreating blade stall were things I could not really test; or rotor clipping!!

Doing this, I had a lot easier time with the Black shark than I would have otherwise, so dont discount FS because it is not as realistic...think of it as using training wheels...

I also read the FAA Rotorcraft Manual, and found a copy of ChickenHawk, by Robert Mason, a true story of a Huey driver in Vietnam; he describes a lot of technical stuff that you might not encounter elsewhere.

A simple note here for HOTAS owners to make your throttle (collective) work in a realistic way; as we all know you must pull the collective up to go up.

Swap your HOTAS Z-axis so that you must pull to increase collective instead of the basic setup, where you must push the throttle forward to increase your collective.

(In case you are not the owner of something like this ofcourse ;): http://www.leftside-limited.com/)

Edited by Frazer

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also while you wait you might want to build/buy something like this

to train...

:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Here are a couple documents I've run across that are interesting reading until the English manual comes out

FAA Rotary Flying Handbook. Great for the physics of helicopter flight and best pratices. It will answer some questions of why and when to do thing as a helicopter pilot.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/

Also, here is a document outlining the tactical side of attack helicopter operations.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/docs/1-112.pdf

I do like crude humour and this made me laugh, sadly I was drinking a cup of tea at the time and nearly choked and did spit tea all over my glasses and down my clean white shirt...so thanks

glad to have brought a smile to your face but not your wife when she comes to wash your shirt! Actually your answer reveals more about you..i think you have experienced the vortex ring of which i speak !!:music_whistling:

My eyes so far have been on perma stalks whilst flying BS, no other sim has done that, my concentration levels are in the roof, and I still screw up lots lol.....hovering has to be the most difficult and intense thing ive ever tried to do in a sim.

Edited by Phantom_Mark

Hi,

I picked up a book the other day that would be very good for someone who has no helo training.

It is called the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook ISBN 1-56027-404-2

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals