WW2 Videos & ScreenShots

OLD CROW

2 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

did B-17's have fire extinguishers for the engines or for other parts?

In my experience it's so easy to set B-17's alight using the A8. One pass and something is on fire on the poor B-17...

I seem to remember reading that the B17 engine fire extinguishers were viewed as ineffective so removed from the later models to save weight. I’m not sure how true that is though or if it’s another in the very long list of WW2 myths…

• Like 1

Screen-211017-191737.png

klgv.png

• Like 1

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

I know I saw this livery on the User Files at some point but I can't find it any more. What's the name/link?

I'm affraid not mine cause this one is still in my photoshop/GIMP oven so I got no idea if anyone had shared it anytime. I've never digged too much in contrasting the info but I'd found her pictures as Squadron 601, basically the only squadron that had naked bare metal beauties like this one. The level of detail in this DCS 3D model and template is astonishing: all bumps and details in the metal plates and rivets and how the curvy surfaces reflect the ambient light & shadows.... simply... "a visual state of ART". With the 2.7 devs have nailed the X in the pirates treasure map of hardware resources optimization.

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I've seen a couple silver spits, one RAF in Sicily or Italy, and one RAAF, but neither have the standard RAF camo lid on the engine. I have an Eduard 1/48 MkIX kit with that exact scheme marked as 601SQ also: MJ250 (UF-Q), with black lettering.

Edited by Nealius

ae2c2c2020afff90780fc626b794899b--in-november-cutaway.jpg

That is a really common mistake when you try to recreate a model from a Black & white old pictures (red & black got similar light spectrums). I'd decided to recreate this modeler's recreation with his "mistakes". I really like the red nose cone and red Squadron & unit code in same red tone over the bare metal background. Also rechecking my pictures I observed my own mistake: the font. I originally used one more "stenciled" than those shown in the original picture.

• Like 1

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

6 minutes ago, OLD CROW said:

ae2c2c2020afff90780fc626b794899b--in-november-cutaway.jpg

That is a really common mistake when you try to recreate a model from a Black & white old pictures (red & black got similar light spectrums). I'd decided to recreate this modeler's recreation with his "mistakes". I really like the red nose cone and red Squadron & unit code in same red tone over the bare metal background. Also rechecking my pictures I observed my own mistake: the font. I originally used one more "stenciled" than those shown in the original picture.

It's a minefield ain't it? 😉

Just one suggestion from me - the roundels that ship with EDs spitty template are incorrectly proportioned, I'd strongly recommend redrawing them to get them correct:

• Like 1