Clouds revisited

Mizzy

I have been working for a long time with clouds and it is so hard because its all hard coded stuff and only limited parameters to work with.

Here are WIP. I have had a lot of technical help with this btw so its not really me who has done this but its baffling me how ED have programed these things.

Mizzy

• Like 2

Nice work Mizzy!

Maybe you could also work on the altitudes of clouds?

They are very unreal in lockon. Even if you set cloud base to 300m they will appear at around 2000 or higher.

Typical cumulus clouds on a sunny day in the real world though, will start around 300 meters in the morning and reach around 1500m in the afternoon.

So, the rize of the clouds is not very important but, if the cloud base could at least be set between 300meter and 1500 meter it would be great!.

A lower cloud base will also give you a better sensation of speed, which you miss in lockon.

• Like 1

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been working for a long time with clouds and it is so hard because its all hard coded stuff and only limited parameters to work with.

Here are WIP. I have had a lot of technical help with this btw so its not really me who has done this but its baffling me how ED have programed these things.

Mizzy

These look wonderful. I've lately been wishing for clouds like them. You wouldn't by any chance be interested in making an early release?

Rich

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

These look wonderful. I've lately been wishing for clouds like them. You wouldn't by any chance be interested in making an early release?

Rich

Love to Rich but they don't look right from distance and the 'jerky' movement of the clouds in Lockon makes this even more prominent. There is always an undiscovered workaround that no one has found yet ;). I am still looking :)

Mizzy

• Like 1

This looks very realistic. Keep it up!

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice © Scooter

Intel Core i7 8700K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5, 32Gb DDR4 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3200MHz, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti Extreme, VKB Gunfighter MkII + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM MFD Panels, TrackIR5

Clouds at that setting use a completely different system than Mizzy is using.

Yeah I know, clouds 9 & 10 are overcast and cloud values below 9 are no different. Only the number of clouds is modified with values 1 thru 8. Default LOMAC clouds represent a typical cumulus as the one in pic below:

15_cumulus_heapb.jpg

Typical cumulus

but Mizzy's clouds can fill the gap from cloud level 5 thru 8 so we'd have some kind of a scattered alto cumulus clouds in game (Mackerel sky).

16_dusk_alto_cumulusd.jpg

Altocumulus

Mackerelskylincolnshire.jpg

Mackerel sky

With a little help from ED Mizzy's clouds can also be taken into account as a cirrus clouds in future DCS modules. IMHO they look a lot like clouds in this pic:

01_cirrus_fluffyb.jpg Cirrus clouds on a windy day

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mizzy :thumbsup: awesome, cant wait to try this out, keep up the good work:thumbup:

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

It just looks better and better! When are you expecting to finish your project?

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice © Scooter

Intel Core i7 8700K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5, 32Gb DDR4 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3200MHz, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti Extreme, VKB Gunfighter MkII + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM MFD Panels, TrackIR5